WW II Spy Novels discussion

Banned > 'Wall of Shame' Sanction - explanation

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 07, 2014 12:47PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 466 comments Mod
'Authors behaving badly' is getting out of hand on Goodreads. They are really getting sneaky and nefarious.

In this group now, there is a new bookshelf called the 'Wall of Shame' in our group and that is where these authors' books may be sequestered. There is also a corresponding discussion bin where complaints can be lodged and adjudicated.

If you feel an author **or their friends/fans/groupies** are browbeating you, please inform me. Your claim will be investigated. If found to have merit, the author in question will receive no further book-promotion here.

If they have abused good manners and courtesy, they will not profit by it. Not only will they lose the privilege to promote themselves, their titles will be consigned to the WOS (Wall of Shame). Nothing more will ever need be said about them.

This is an experiment, maybe it won't even work. But its time to try something. In general, group moderators around Goodreads simply aren't proactive about these issues. I am going to try to change this.

message 2: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 07, 2014 12:08PM) (new)

"I just no like to see good people get pushed aroun'... ya'msayin? Ya'mean?"

message 3: by Stosch (new)

Stosch f'sho

message 4: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 07, 2014 12:41PM) (new)

So far so good. Been up a couple days now. Maybe this practice will spread to other groups and these truculent authors will learn some courtesy.

Apparently if you don't actually give a low, (1-star) rating to the author's books, they have no real grounds to complain. There's no 'specific' reader or reviewer to complain about.

Meanwhile, its perfectly reasonable and natural that a Goodreads group can designate a 'worst of' list, just as easily as they might devise a 'best of..' collection. That's basically all I've done.

What I couldn't believe was that someone in one of my groups felt they could call me an a**hole (in another group) and help that author push me around, without being booted from here. Delusional.

message 5: by Stosch (new)

Stosch boggles the mind.theres people out there strugglin and these people spend numerous hours on here playing mind games.

kind of like the world of warcraft or any other games, the total hours played, jesus bleedin christ man. we coulda built anything we wanted with those hours. redo the pyramids or something unbelievable. what can ya do?

good luck with this idea i hope it prospers

message 6: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 13, 2014 11:32AM) (new)

Another rogue added to the Wall of Shame. Ron Hummer, who moderates this group:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Why these would-be authors get 'little tin god' syndrome, is beyond me.

He removed the dialog, but I have it saved and will repost (on my profile, I guess). You wanna see hypocrisy on display, I got the goods.

I'm in his group and without speaking a single cross word--polite as a priest--I get booted. Someone else there sneers at me to 'shut the eff up, Feliks--' and it doesn't even raise his eyebrow.

Anyway, his career and his titles will not be promoted in this environment and we do not endorse him as an author. We wash our hands of him.