The Wide Web of Friends in YA Books discussion

In Bookish News... > The Mortal Instruments ~ A TV Show?!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) | 8842 comments Mod
TMI is being turned into a tv show! Yup, that means no more movies (thank gosh). Good ridance I say.

Here are some articles that explain it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/...

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/10/1...

How do you feel about TMI coming back as a tv show? What changes would you want to see? Would you keep the same characters?

message 2: by Rita (new)

Rita (anarittafp) I hope they do a much better adaptation of the books in the tv show than they did in the movie to be honest. And anyway I think the tv show is going to be much better to explain the Shadowhunter world but I'm still a little afraid they're going to mess it up somehow =/

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I like it.
Like people have said, tv series gives you the oportunity to go further inn then film can. We have time for more details.
and look at outlander and game of thrones, tv can be just as true to the books as movies can.

message 4: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments Katie wrote: "I actually thought the COB movie was fine (Mainly because I expected it to be much worse). And it's true, they can add a lot more backround information in tv series, which is a plus. I'm not worried at all though. Its not going to ruin what I think of the books."

I love this attitude. I'm not a fan of the books, personally(couldn't get through book one, not sure why) but my view is that nothing that happens can change the books, so anything else is just extra.

I haven't seen the movie yet(will change that soon) but am happy about news of a TV show because the story sounds awesome, but I don't ever see myself reading all the books.

message 5: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

I'm a bit weary. I don't want to be hopeful and get my hopes up, but I don't want to go in thinking this is going to stink and then be proved right. I'm trying to stay neutral!!

I feel like the CW would be perfect for picking up this show.

message 6: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments Rachel (Miss Perfection) wrote: "I'm a bit weary. I don't want to be hopeful and get my hopes up, but I don't want to go in thinking this is going to stink and then be proved right. I'm trying to stay neutral!!

I feel like the CW would be perfect for picking up this show."

It's certainly fine to have expectations, but yeah, trying to be neutral is smart. I think the best thing to do for any adaptation is to accept as early as possible that there will be changes, then just try to be open to them and hope they're at least interesting.

message 7: by Milan (new)

Milan (thehopelesspizza) | 70 comments This sounds like a great idea and I agree the CW would be best for a show like this. It would definitely go into more detail than a movie

message 8: by baa (new)

baa (aveatquevale) | 63 comments tbh i really liked the cast except probably get rid of kevin zegers as alec and jamie campbell bower as jace idk??? like neither of them really looked right and jamie was too deadpan like the way he delivered jace's lines

message 9: by georgia (new)

georgia (goodreadscomgeorgia_hermione) I honestly think they might just get a new cast but tone honest even thhougt

message 10: by georgia (new)

georgia (goodreadscomgeorgia_hermione) Because the casting was terrible.

message 11: by Rita (new)

Rita (anarittafp) Sophie wrote: "tbh i really liked the cast except probably get rid of kevin zegers as alec and jamie campbell bower as jace idk??? like neither of them really looked right and jamie was too deadpan like the way h..."

Idk, the cast was not that bad but the only ones I would keep would be Godfrey as Magnus and maybe Robert as Simon...They're probably gonna change it though, I just hope they make good choices.

message 12: by baa (new)

baa (aveatquevale) | 63 comments and also recast valentine obvs

message 13: by baa (new)

baa (aveatquevale) | 63 comments Ritta wrote: "Sophie wrote: "tbh i really liked the cast except probably get rid of kevin zegers as alec and jamie campbell bower as jace idk??? like neither of them really looked right and jamie was too deadpan..."

idk i didnt really like godfrey as magnus?? i just didnt think he was a very good actor?? idk i havent seen the movie in AGES... though yeah i think a complete recasting would be nice (though i'll miss lily collins and lena dunham and robert sheehan i thought they were PERFECT)

message 14: by georgia (new)

georgia (goodreadscomgeorgia_hermione) Lena was in tmi?

message 15: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Georgia wrote: "Lena was in tmi?"

she was Jocelyn

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri (terricarmin) | 229 comments I'm really excited for the TV show but at the same time I'm worried its going to be worse than the movie. :/ but with the TV show we can get a lot more details soooooo....

And I agree with you about the CW Rachel!!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments I just it to be right and a good quality show!

message 18: by Lissette (new)

Lissette (liss4ever) CW would be perfect for the mortal instruments show. :) I can see it on there.

message 19: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

Cheyenne | 1425 comments Mod
Well I know two of the channels the people want is CW or HBO.

I personally don't care what channel takes it up. But I was thinking the producers of Once Upon A Time would do good job. Since they are doing really good with Frozen.

message 20: by baa (new)

baa (aveatquevale) | 63 comments who would you guys cast as clary?

message 21: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments Once Upon A Time wrote: "Well I know two of the channels the people want is CW or HBO.

I personally don't care what channel takes it up. But I was thinking the producers of Once Upon A Time would do good job. Since they ..."

That's like, as far as you can get from each other haha. That's almost like answering the question "What do you want for dinner?" with "I don't know, either barbecue up a bunch of meat, or make me a salad. Either or."

message 22: by baa (new)

baa (aveatquevale) | 63 comments i think it's just because they both have made very good book-to-tv adaptations eg game of thrones and the 100

message 23: by Rosie (new)

Rosie (rosie32) I can't wait to see this ^-^ it would give TMI another chance after City Of Bones and, if done well, could be amazing!! ^-^
personally, i think different actors should be chosen (than from city of bones) as, even though i loved them, i think it will give it a fresh start. However, I did LOVE Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace ^-^

message 24: by Rosie (new)

Rosie (rosie32) Sophie wrote: "who would you guys cast as clary?"

That's a hard one.... ^-^ I'm not sure.... Shailene Woodley maybe- just because shes one of my favorite actors ^-^
i don't know really

message 25: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments Sophie wrote: "i think it's just because they both have made very good book-to-tv adaptations eg game of thrones and the 100"

Ah, solid point.

message 26: by Rosie (new)

Rosie (rosie32) Katie wrote: "Well, Shailene Woodley is already Tris from Divergent so I think it'd be weird if she was Clary as well."

yeah, good point ^-^

message 27: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

She doesn't have read hair.

message 28: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

*red

message 29: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

Same here

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

One thing I just thought up,what if they filmed the bane chronicles as well and that they showed the bane chronicles during highaitus. And they could start with the last stand of new york institute so you get that, then do the two malec ones and go on from there.
...And well personally I would kinda like shadowhunter stories from 1930s-1970s. I mean you have a shadowhunter story for end of 1800s and one for beginning 1900s,and two in the 2000s,but none inbetween. I would love more set in between those periods. Cassandra clare could come with ideas to stories but screen writers could write them down(like once upon a time does)...

anyone else dying for news? Any tiny news.

message 31: by Eclectic (new)

Eclectic (EclecticIntrospections) | 2 comments I agree with everything said here! Maybe they're gonna include the Clockwork and Dark Artifices series as well!!!!
I think Lily Collins is good as Clary. I want Simon to be played by the same guy..He was AWESOME!
But, in no way do I want Jace to be played by Jamie!!!! It would ruin the show!!!!

message 32: by Hadessephy (new)

Hadessephy I enjoyed the movie although it is not my favorite series. I liked looking at Jonathan rhys meyers so just that makes me sad there is no second movie lol. I would watch the tv show if it came out.

message 33: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Bell | 6 comments I know that TMI movie did not do that well in the box office especially compared to Hunger Games or Divergent. However, I feel like TMI was not advertised as musch as the other movies and believed that this had a lot to do with it not being a big hit in the box office. Which made me sad because I wanted the whole series made into movies.

However, I do believe that the series would make a better TV show that movies. I think that making it a tv show would help in keeping to the books more.

message 34: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments Maggie wrote: "I know that TMI movie did not do that well in the box office especially compared to Hunger Games or Divergent. However, I feel like TMI was not advertised as musch as the other movies and believed ..."

Nationally/internationally, you may be right, but here in California it was promoted a LOT.

message 35: by baa (new)

baa (aveatquevale) | 63 comments I just really hope it's not one of those shows like supernatural where the episodes don't lead on from each other. I really prefer it when there's a sequence to the show I don't know what that's called... also I hope they don't do too many episodes per season like no more than 15 I think... otherwise it might drag on like the vampire diaries or pretty little liars or gossip girl...

message 36: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

There is going to be an all new cast. So no one from the movies will be in the t.v show.

message 37: by georgia (new)

georgia (goodreadscomgeorgia_hermione) Once Upon A Time wrote: "There is going to be an all new cast. So no one from the movies will be in the t.v show."

Maybe that would be for the best, I'd like to see if they can cast better than they did the first time

Cami (The annoying BookWorm) This sounds interesting! I would definetely give this show a chance. I wonder though what they will do with the brotehr/sister dilemma though, especially considering how pretty much everybody knows how it turns out. Will they even go there?

What do you guys think about the characters, would you change something?

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments The title is called shadowhunter

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

apparently simon is getting a girlfriend.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments Woah, really? Hope they don't change too much stuff

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Kitty wrote: "Woah, really? Hope they don't change too much stuff"

well its still early stages hope the changes arent official.(not much is official yet)

message 43: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

Maggie wrote: "I know that TMI movie did not do that well in the box office especially compared to Hunger Games or Divergent. However, I feel like TMI was not advertised as musch as the other movies and believed ..."

The reason it did bad was that it was so cheesy.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

You guys seen the facebook page?
https://www.facebook.com/Shadowhunter...

And luckily the rumors were that just rumors, only one true is the age thing not sure what I feel about that but I suppose all you can do is hope for the best. And I mean its not like they are 40\30 its just two years older.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

also alot of People are wanting benjamin stone for jace. I kinda like that idea.

message 46: by baa (last edited Apr 10, 2015 05:21AM) (new)

baa (aveatquevale) | 63 comments Benjamin stone looks a little bit like alex pettyfer who was always my favourite fancasting for jace (appearance wise at least) but i just hope he can act bcs i dont care how similar or unsimilar jace looks to my imagination (unless it's jcb) as long as he acts like jace then i'm good

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499400/?...

he plays in this short lived series, I would say he plays pretty good.

message 49: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Oda wrote: "http://tmisource.com/2015/04/16/mcg-p..."

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! I'm getting slightly and slightly more relieved.

message 50: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

Great News we have our Jace and let me just say this guy is way much cuter than Jamie

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/shado...

« previous 1