Persephone Books discussion

The Crowded Street
This topic is about The Crowded Street
Crowded Street > Discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Camille de Fleurville | 2 comments I have been a silent partner for some time now but I decided to join in the discussion of Winifred Holtby's "The Crowded Street" - if ou can bear my broken English, that is ! But I was surprised not to see it as an event. Is the group reading it this month or am I mistaken? Then,if it really is the read of the month, what are the rules or the etiquette prevalent in the group as to posts and discussion? Thank you for allowing me to participate. Camille

Gina | 319 comments Mod
Hi Camille, thanks for joining us!! You're right, we are reading The Crowded Street this month (I just forgot to switch the book over to "currently reading"). Anyone is welcome to start the discussion at any time during the month (although the discussion tends to begin at the end of the month because that's when people are finishing the book). So feel free to start the discussion whenever you'd like! :)
PS Your English is fabulous!

Camille de Fleurville | 2 comments Thank you, Gina for answering so quikly. And thank you for undeserved compliments: I do my best but I am no native English speaker and it shows :) !
I am glad we do not have to start making comments right now. I read the book some time ago and have to re-read it carefully before I am able to say anything. For a long time, my only knowkledge about Winifred Holtby has been "South Riding" until I came across Persephone and Virago reprints. It has given me a completely new view and appreciation of her work and I shall be glad to learn more from you all. Many thanks again. Camille

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 13 comments I just finished reading this. It was very interesting to follow Muriel's path to independence.

message 5: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 344 comments Mod
Suki wrote: "I just finished reading this. It was very interesting to follow Muriel's path to independence."
Hi Suki, happy to hear you enjoyed this one.I will add it to my TBR pile and maybe we could choose this title for a buddy read discussion soon.