Tournament of Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2008 Match-ups > The Shadow Catcher vs. An Arsonist’s Guide to Writers’ Homes in New England

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) Post your picks!

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) Before reading these, I picked An Arsonist's Guide to make it to my final four. I read so many raves about this book that I was sure I was going to love it, but I was left without a character to root for, without enough about New England authors, and without a plot that left me at the edge of my seat. I'm half-way through The Shadow Catcher and I am getting completely sucked in. Every time the narrator changes, I am actually disappointed because I had just been entranced by the previous narrator. Plus, the writing is better. So I'm actually voting against my final four pick and crossing my fingers for The Shadow Catcher.

message 3: by Johanna (last edited Mar 17, 2008 04:15PM) (new)

Johanna | 25 comments I've got The Shadow Catcher at home right now, next after Patchett's Run. I hope it fares better than Patchett did. My vote is nothing but faith because I've not read either: Shadow Catcher.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 50 comments I've also read An Arsonist's Guide and thought it was going to be better than I found it. At times I thought it would turn itself around. It has a great premise. It can be very humorous and has a cast of quirky characters. However, on the whole it didn't work for me. Largely because the protagonist didn't work for me as a character. His actions never made sense.

So I'm going with The Shadow Catcher which I have not read. If the writing is better than I think it will win.

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 17 comments Between the two I've only read An Arsonist's Guide... and thought it was totally overrated - flat characters, off-putting tone, and a throughly annoying protagonist. So, even though I haven't read it, The Shadow Catcher gets my vote.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.