Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Members > List books not being read

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 387 comments Just randomly browsing the list I wonder at how some book are virtually not read:
James Plunkett Trusting and the Maimed 9 ratings and it is a core book

Jameson, Storm A Day Off 13 ratings yet another core book in English

Strauss Botho The Young Man 17 ratings

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Part of that may be due to availability. Of the 3 books you listed, only A Day Off is carried by Amazon - the other two are carried by third party sellers, but for rather exorbitant prices. Of course, demand plays a factor in that.

I have not read any of those three books so I can't comment on their content. Have you read them?

message 3: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Nov 04, 2014 09:44AM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 387 comments Christine wrote: ".... Have you read them? "

No, none of them. But I have read Monika Maron:
Pavel's Letters that currently only has 45 ratings.

Here are two more rare reads:
Zulfikar Ghose: The Triple Mirror of the Self 15 ratings
Wyndham Lewis: The Childermass 17 ratings  

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 227 comments There's also Anniversaries: From the Life of Gesine Cresspahl by Uwe Johnson at 72 ratings.

Anton Reiser: A Psychological Novel by Karl Philipp Moritz at 93 ratings.

Halbzeit by Martin Walser at 15 ratings (might not be available in English though).

Out of these three I have only read Anton Reiser. An 18th century novel about a boy who wants a good education despite being poor.

message 5: by Ellinor (new)

Ellinor (1001andmore) | 740 comments Mod
I just sorted my 1001 shelf by number of ratings and noticed that there are almost 80 books with less than a 100 ratings. I've read a few of them but most of these were very heard to obtain.

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments I've been collecting and reading from the list for three years, and I've not found any of the ones mentioned here at a reasonable used book price in all that time. I'm sure "hard to find" is a factor for many of the 80 books with less than 100 ratings.

Elizabeth (Alaska) There are over 1300 books on the list and I think most on this list have read fewer than 200 of them. There are bound to be books with fewer readers, and availability would be a primary reason for that.

message 8: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 387 comments Tried the Danish public library system search for books that can be ordered in Denmark. Of the 9 books 6 could be ordered (but 2 only in German).

James Plunkett Trusting and the Maimed : No

Jameson, Storm A Day Off : Yes. (And I ordered it right away – it probably being the rarest 1001-book I can actually get.)

Strauss Botho The Young Man: No

Monika Maron: Pavel's Letters: Yes, and already read.

Zulfikar Ghose: The Triple Mirror of the Self : Yes. Two editions (1992 and 1994)

Wyndham Lewis: The Childermass: Yes.

Anniversaries: From the Life of Gesine Cresspahl by Uwe Johnson: No

Anton Reiser: A Psychological Novel by Karl Philipp Moritz : Yes, but only in German.

Halbzeit by Martin Walser: Yes, but only in German.

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (manoskm) Trusting and the Maimed doesn't seem too hard to find. Look for Trusting and the Maimed and other Irish stories. It's not extremely common, but it's in a lot of libraries (check worldcat.org). Also, there are several copies on amazon for $10 right now.