LITTLE BOOK CLUB discussion

The Twistrose Key (The Twistrose Key, #1)
This topic is about The Twistrose Key

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Caz (littlebookowl) (littlebookowl) | 114 comments Mod
Time to discuss!
What are your first impressions of the characters, world-building, story so far?

*SPOILERS for up to chapter 11 present below*

Adrienne | 60 comments So it seems very familiar, but in a good way! I am only on chapter 8. I adore animal/people relationdhips a lot. The world seems so magical. There is not too much I know about it yet, but I am definitely excited to find out more.

Rachael | 4 comments Just got to ch.7. I'm feeling very frustrated for this poor girl. I mean, on the one hand its this glorious adventure but on the other, her mission seems almost impossible. I'm also insanely intrigued by the Winnower character.

Felisha | 11 comments Really loving it so far! It's a lot like old favourites, and the atmosphere is just great.

GabsAboutBooks Wow this book is really intriguing! I love all the different petlings. I had a good laugh when Ursa Minor and Pomeroy were introduced. I also don't know how I feel about Teodore. I keep getting mixed feelings about him. I have so many questions and can't wait to figure out what happened to Isvsn.

Adrienne | 60 comments Petlings remind me of his dark materials daemons. I was obsessed with having a daemon for awhile after I read those books. Petlings seem so cool. I have two cats and would love them to be magical taking animals.

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) At first, I felt like it was VERY Narnia-esque, but the further you get, the more you feel the Norse-ness of it.

message 8: by Kassie (new)

Kassie (sassyykassie) | 36 comments the story reminds me a lot of Narnia and His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, two of my favorite series!

I love the idea that our pets we love end up somewhere together without being natural enemies when they die, and i especially like that time moves based on a child's whims. that is amazing to me.

so excited to get more into the adventure, and i want to know so much more about the Wanderfyrsts!

Leanne Minns | 2 comments I'm loving it so far, it's so magical and such a cute concept. I'm loving the characters too. Can't put it down.

Maggieoh | 8 comments I was afraid this book was going to make me cry (it still may eventually?) seeing as I got choked up just reading the back/description of it (I was very attached to my childhood pet and was distraught when she died). So I was happy that the author only briefly touches on those dark places and Lin's happy reunion with Rufus happens quite quickly.

This was a perfect pick for convincing me to not hate winter which is arriving where I live. The author's description of the frosty world makes it sound beautiful and enchanting. I'm going to try to hold on to that imagery as I get repeatedly snowed in over the next 6 months.

I don't love that the villain at the moment is a cat (I love cats!), but I suppose she had to pick SOME animal to play the antagonist.

I have a feeling Teodore is going to end up being revealed as the curmudgeon who has a reason for being the way he is and he's really just trying to protect the others. I don't want him to be a bad guy, so maybe I'm projecting a bit here.

Felisha | 11 comments How coincidental and appropriate for me to read this now, as I have to have my own beloved pet put down on the weekend. It's nice to escape to this story and imagine her in a world like Sylver.

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Lamas | 3 comments I love the atmosphere of this book! It's eerie, sweet and fast, I love it! It's very narnian-esque, but with a very distinct flavour!

Haylie Grace (hayliegrace) | 7 comments The moment I picked up this book, I was enchanted by the cover, and once I began reading I was captured by the style of writing. It's so flowery and the descriptions are beautiful! I really feel like I'm truly in the places that the author is describing.

I adore the concept of a world beyond our own where our beloved pets go to after here. I think that's so clever, and really close to my heart also. I'm really getting into this book and I'm super curious about where Isvan is and what role Teador and Figenskar eventually play.

Angela Crouch (angierose8811) | 4 comments Victoria wrote: "I love the atmosphere of this book! It's eerie, sweet and fast, I love it! It's very narnian-esque, but with a very distinct flavour!"

I loved the pet aspect as well. It is a huge soft spot of mine!

Jacob | 8 comments I am really enjoying the world and the mystery. I was a bit iffy about the book for the first bit because I personally don't like talking animals, but I enjoy the aspect of the pets going to this new world after they die, I really enjoy the character Ursa Minor too!

message 16: by Tina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tina | 17 comments I forgot to comment on this thread and i'm way past chapter 11 now but this book is so cute, after I finish I might read it to my little sister, or recommended it to her to read herself. (:

Chrisa (chrisahum) I'm not sure why, but the writing isn't grabbing me, despite the story being interesting. I also find the characters a little flat. I don't know. Maybe it's because I just finished The Amber Spyglass and I'm still stuck in it? I won't give up though!

James Pickles | 4 comments Misssassykassie wrote: "the story reminds me a lot of Narnia and His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, two of my favorite series!

I love the idea that our pets we love end up somewhere together without being natural enem..."

I totally agree. Just received my copy so I'm only on Chapter 11 - I know I'm very late but I instantly thought it was a cross between those two works and I love it! I hope you do/did too.