Fargo-Moorhead Forever Young Adult Book Club discussion

Gone (Gone, #1)
This topic is about Gone
Discussion Questions > Discussion Questions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cori Edgerton | 4 comments Do you think the novel realistically portrays the way kids would react if all the adults disappeared? Which parts of the novel do you find most believable? Which parts are most unbelievable?

Astrid says to Diana, “…usually a person who does bad things recognizes that there’s something a little wrong with them…they know they’re sick inside.” Do you think this is true of Drake, Caine and Diana? What about Orc?

Why do different characters respond differently to the FAYZ? How do Sam’s, Caine’s, and Albert’s backgrounds shape the way they respond to the crisis?

How does the theme of violence shape your impression of the story? What do you think Sam means when he says, “Ninth graders with machine guns: it’s hard to make that a happy story” (pg 441)?

Even though Quinn has a clear shot, he doesn’t shoot Drake (pg 496). Why do you think Quinn doesn’t pull the trigger? Does this choice make him a coward?

Did Sam win? Is it a “hollow victory?” Consider the final line of the book, “Got a lot of holes to dig.” Was the cost of winning too great? Could you have proposed a solution that didn’t involve violence or killing?

What makes someone a hero? In the novel, who do you think is most deserving of the title hero? Sam? Mary? Astrid? In what ways do these characters differ, and in what ways are they similar in their heroism?

Would you read the next book, Hunger, in the series?

message 2: by Megan (last edited Nov 09, 2014 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan Richardson (megaden) | 18 comments Alicia and I discussed some of these questions as we were waiting for people at People's Organic so I'll put our discussion here in case anyone is interested.

Do you think the novel realistically portrays the way kids would react if all the adults disappeared? Which parts of the novel do you find most believable? Which parts are most unbelievable?

We both thought that the book was realistic in the way it portrayed the power struggle between the kids. The power dynamics between the characters already exist to some extent (in middle schools especially) but there are usually adults who are able to keep it in check. Whenever there's a time of crisis and stress people change. Some, like Caine and Sam, step up to lead and others, like Quinn, just crumple under the strain.

The most unrealistic part, in our opinion, was the Darkness. The other mysterious powers we could deal with, but this vague, evil entity was a bit too much to believe.

Megan Richardson (megaden) | 18 comments Astrid says to Diana, “…usually a person who does bad things recognizes that there’s something a little wrong with them…they know they’re sick inside.” Do you think this is true of Drake, Caine and Diana? What about Orc?

Orc and Diana yes. Drake and Caine - not so much. Orc completely fell apart after killing Bette. He wallowed in his guilt and in his conversations with Howard seemed very focused on what kind of person he was/had been.

I personally don't think Diana is bad, but she seems to think she is. I think that's why she went with Caine at the end. I want to know more of her back story, which I assume would be talked about more in the later books.

Drake is a sociopath through and through.

Caine is a little harder to decipher. At first glance he looks like just some deranged kid, but when he talks about being adopted and abandoned my his (and Sam's) mom, it seems like he wants to know what's wrong with him - why she would leave him behind.

Megan Richardson (megaden) | 18 comments Even though Quinn has a clear shot, he doesn’t shoot Drake (pg 496). Why do you think Quinn doesn’t pull the trigger? Does this choice make him a coward?

By this point, Quinn was broken. His brain couldn't take it. He had just been shooting wildly until this point, but it's different when you have to look someone in the eye. Killing someone in battle is different than murdering in cold-blood. He's also 14! Every person has aspects of bravery and cowardice within them. Let's not label someone a coward just because they couldn't kill someone.

Megan Richardson (megaden) | 18 comments Did Sam win? Is it a “hollow victory?” Consider the final line of the book, “Got a lot of holes to dig.” Was the cost of winning too great? Could you have proposed a solution that didn’t involve violence or killing?

He won the battle, but the war is definitely not over. Honestly, Alicia and I expected more deaths, especially considering Caine brought down a building! For a battle, they got off pretty light.

Regarding another solution, I don't think Sam had much of a choice. It's tough to respond to violence with words and Sam had already tried other all avenues of negotiation. As Alicia said, "when they're shooting at you, the time for talking has passed."

Nicole (thizzlen) | 12 comments Mod
I have no doubt there could be another solution if both sides are same and not just out for power, but when you have power hungry and crazy people....there is no reasoning with them!