SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Blood from a Shadow (Con Maknazpy, #1)
This topic is about Blood from a Shadow
Banned > 'Wall of Shame' sanctions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 04, 2014 09:35AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1165 comments Mod
Folks, I've just been treated to a little bit of nastiness from a Goodreads author in another Goodreads group. I'm a little fed up at this point, and this is how I have decided to deal with it.

Its been just one too many times that I've experienced 'authors behaving badly' in Goodreads groups.

In THIS group now, there is a new bookshelf and discussion folder called the 'Wall of Shame' and that is where these authors may be arraigned. This is where --in our group--complaints can be lodged.

If you feel an author **or his friends/fans/groupies** are browbeating you, please inform me. Your claim will be investigated. If found to have merit, the author in question will receive no further book-promotion here. If they have abused good manners and courtesy, they will not profit by it here.

The author referenced in this post is the first on the wall.

This is an experiment, maybe it won't even work. But its time to do something.

message 2: by Gideon (new)

Gideon Asche (gideonasche) | 32 comments It might make people think before they are obnoxious,

was it the review that angered him? or did the review come second?

message 3: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 04, 2014 09:29AM) (new)

Thanks Gideon.

I actually never even reviewed any book by this guy Cappa.

What happened was, the Pulp Readers Group (where we were both members) has a discussion shelf called 'Writers Corner'. I thought it was an 'open thread' where readers could chat with authors about their craft.

But it was not. Instead, it was a thread where authors prerogative is given rein. Author promo is 'protected' there. You're not supposed to engage with them (other than to bow-and-scrape).

Anyway, Cappa posted a 'bait'n'switch' type of self-promo there.

I (still oblivious) chatted with him and then asked him the reason for the duplicity?

Stung, he enlisted a few of his pals to 'pretend to be outraged' and ask the moderator there to ban me.

This is pretty slimy behavior, seems to me. Thus, I am taking a stand.

message 4: by Gideon (last edited Nov 04, 2014 09:06AM) (new)

Gideon Asche (gideonasche) | 32 comments As YOU told me once, an authors work will "stand or fall on the merit of the work"

it sounds like he is less than confident of the merit of his work and thought he could manipulate the feedback he gets.

A foolish thing for someone who's success rides on the wave of public opinion to do... LOL

message 5: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 04, 2014 09:10AM) (new)

Indeed. What I want ideally is for authors to stop spamming Goodreaders in the hunt for sales, and just be ..personable. Open. Willing to talk about their craft. Just be 'for real'. This is how you behave, Gideon---'Charles' (in our group) is another such author--and it is to both of your credit.

Of course, in an more volatile environment like Amazon reviews, authors should not interact with readers at all.

message 6: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 13, 2014 09:37AM) (new)

Another rogue added to the Wall of Shame. Ron Hummer, who moderates this group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Why these would-be authors get 'little tin god' syndrome, is beyond me.

He removed the dialog, but I have it saved and will repost (on my profile, I guess). You wanna see hypocrisy on display, I got the goods.

I'm in his group and without speaking a single cross word--polite as a priest--I get booted. Someone else there sneers at me to 'shut the eff up, Feliks--' and it doesn't even raise his eyebrow.

Anyway, his career and his titles will not be promoted in this environment and we do not endorse him as an author. We wash our hands of him.

message 7: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Must be a slow news day around here. This is all water-under-the-bridge.

It's why I dropped most of my group memberships though. Brave new world of the internet! Yet mankind can not conquer pettiness and spleen!

message 8: by Michel (last edited Oct 29, 2019 06:05AM) (new)

Michel Poulin | 216 comments Feliks, we are still socially cavemen with rockets and guns. When it comes to making money or gaining power, people seem to let the worst in them come out. On the other hand, I have seen examples of readers behaving as badly as the worst authors, pushing their bigoted views on others. I think that you will not lack materiel for this thread.

message 9: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Well said.

All across our country, and all around the clock, mankind's most powerful super-computers furiously calculate arcane strategies to alter what brand of toilet tissue or what style of disposable razor-blades a few million rural hicks might purchase, for approximately 3.3 weekends sometime during the fourth quarter of profits later this year. Progress! Progress!