Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

Red Earth and Pouring Rain
This topic is about Red Earth and Pouring Rain
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Red Earth and Pouring Rain > Red Earth and Pouring Rain - who's reading? / discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (new)

Odette | 316 comments Mod
The November 2014 book is Red Earth and Pouring Rain
by Vikram Chandra.

Who's reading?

message 2: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) Let me finish up two other books and I'll join in.

message 3: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 114 comments I've got this one waiting for me at the library...

The cover reminds me of that old joke about infinite numbers of monkeys and Hamlet.

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments My library has it and I've ordered it!

message 5: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) Melanti wrote: "I've got this one waiting for me at the library...

The cover reminds me of that old joke about infinite numbers of monkeys and Hamlet."

Yes it does!

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 49 comments I'm second in line for this one at the library.

message 7: by Odette (new)

Odette | 316 comments Mod
Just put it on hold at the library.

BTW, the review link I sent in the update message -
"The Monkey's Tale" - should have led here.

message 8: by andrea (new)

andrea (mellowtrouble) | 4 comments looks interesting! i'll probably get to it later this month..

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 49 comments I picked this up from the library yesterday, and plan to start it tonight.

message 10: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) Ok, I haven't started it yet, but I'll try to work it in among those I'm already reading.

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 49 comments I'm having trouble getting into this, though it's very well written. It's an intriguing plot--a man is reincarnated as a monkey and has to entertain an audience through stories in order to stay alive (based on a bet between gods). I usually love stories in stories in stories formats, but it's hard to sit down after a really busy day and concentrate on it. I think I need something more linear right now, with fewer characters. I'm going to put it aside for the time being, and see if I feel more like reading it in a week or two.

message 12: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments Margaret wrote: "I'm having trouble getting into this, though it's very well written. It's an intriguing plot--a man is reincarnated as a monkey and has to entertain an audience through stories in order to stay ali..."

I'm having the same problem Margaret! I really wanted to like this book! The premise, that the warrior-poet reincarnated into a monkey becomes conscious of who he was and is and tells his story, really intrigued me! So the introduction drew me in, but now that the actual stories started I am finding it harder to get into.

message 13: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 49 comments Jalilah wrote: "Margaret wrote: "I'm having trouble getting into this, though it's very well written. It's an intriguing plot--a man is reincarnated as a monkey and has to entertain an audience through stories in ..."

That's where I had difficulty too. If I had been one of the students in the audience, I would've been daydreaming! But it seems like I should've enjoyed the novel more. I think that first story took too long winding up. It was like reading the very beginning of a novel again.

message 14: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments Margaret wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Margaret wrote: "I'm having trouble getting into this, though it's very well written. It's an intriguing plot--a man is reincarnated as a monkey and has to entertain an audience thr..."

I had the same thought! Yama the death God said if even one person started daydreaming he'd be out. Unfortunately he lost me already during the story of the Frenchman. I still tried Abhay, the college student's story and it was not any better. Like I said, I really wanted to like this story so I feel really bad putting it down. Maybe another time. It certainly got rave reviews, so no one should be influenced by me!

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 49 comments Jalilah wrote: "Margaret wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Margaret wrote: "I'm having trouble getting into this, though it's very well written. It's an intriguing plot--a man is reincarnated as a monkey and has to entertai..."

Yes, it seems well-written, so I wouldn't want anyone deciding against it based on my reaction either. I think I'll pick it up again, at some point.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.