Who's Your Author? discussion

Let's talk about... > Goodreads Choice Awards

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments If you haven't noticed, the Goodreads Choice awards are up and looking for nominations. If you do not see your favorite listed, cast a write-in nomination for the one you think is best. Need a refresher of what urban fantasy books were printed in 2014? Check out Dawn's lists of new releases for this year: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Happy voting everyone and may the best book win! :)

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I hate that for so many of the categories I have only read 1 or 2, but in a couple I had read 4 or more, then it was hard to pick.

message 3: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments What did you guys think of the list?

I am still confused as to where they get the categories from.

Like you Darcy in some sections I have read one or two books then in others I had read like 3 or four.

I still wish they would break down into more choices initially like in romance I wish there was historical romance vs PNR vs contemporary. Or in Fantasy we could have high fantasy vs urban fantasy.

message 4: by Alisa (last edited Nov 03, 2014 04:15PM) (new)

Alisa | 973 comments I felt kind of stupid when I looked at the list. I had barely read anything on most of the lists. Apparently I should read less smut and broaden my horizons. :)

(I hadn't even read any of the cookbooks this year)

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1134 comments Like you, Alisa, I have read have only read a few of the books listed. In three of the categories I have multiple choices in others I don't have even one. How do they come up with these choices?

message 6: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Alisa wrote: "I felt kind of stupid when I looked at the list. I had barely read anything on most of the lists. Apparently I should read less smut and broaden my horizons. :)

(I hadn't even read any of the c..."

For what its worth I have not read anything in poetry or cookbooks.

message 7: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4462 comments There were plenty of categories that I hadn't even heard of the books, let alone read them.

I remember last year that it was explained that they got the books with the amount of ratings/shelvings.

And I definitely think they should broaden their categories, as everyone reads specialized books these days. Even if you read historical and pnr and scifi-rom, you don't want them all to compete against each other. Same with high fantasy and urban fantasy and dark murder mysteries and cozy mysteries.

message 8: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 56 comments I only answered in two categories for the books that I read all others I skipped over.

I think maybe they get these book possibly from the amount of readers that have read this book and the high ratings. Just a guess but I wonder too how they choose these books. I guess I need to get to reading some of these books.

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie | 419 comments Alisa wrote: "I felt kind of stupid when I looked at the list. I had barely read anything on most of the lists. Apparently I should read less smut and broaden my horizons. :)

(I hadn't even read any of the c..."

Alisa, I'm totally with you on maybe needing to broaden my subject matter! And the few other categories I read, it seems like the books I've read weren't on the list. I did vote on some books just because I knew the author or had heard of the book, but really if only read two or three books in this round at all, so I don't know if I'll continue to vote further into the process.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments I haven't read near as much as I usually do this year so I didn't vote in many categories. I had a hard time deciding between the latest Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson books. I haven't finished the latest Dresden Files or Rachel Morgan books so I couldn't judge those books.

I will cry foul if Saga or Rat Queens don't win the Graphic Novels category.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) The categories are still really problematic. At least, they separated the YA fantasy from the adult fantasy this year and the romance category isn't only New Adult like last year. I still needed to write in my romance choice though. I really wish they would at least separate historical from contemporary romance even if they don't sub-divide further.

message 12: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I'm trying to figure out who to vote for in the romance category. I'm writing in for most of the categories.

message 13: by Arielle Rae (last edited Nov 05, 2014 05:01PM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 161 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I'm trying to figure out who to vote for in the romance category. I'm writing in for most of the categories."

It's quite hard to choose for the romance one... There are authors that are quite big in the genre

message 14: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 06, 2014 03:23AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I'll probably write in for a historical romance, but it's times like this a second or third GR account would be nice so I could get all my favorites in. :)