Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Secret Lives (Darke Academy, #1)
This topic is about Secret Lives
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Poole, Gabriella - Secret Lives - Informal Buddy Read; Start: November 6, 2014

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Secret Lives by Gabriella Poole

Book Synopsis:
You'll be dying to join the chosen Few...

The Darke Academy is a school like no other. An élite establishment that moves to an exotic new city every term, its students are impossibly beautiful, sophisticated and rich. And the more new scholarship girl Cassie Bell learns about the Academy, the more curious she becomes.

What sinister secrets are guarded by the Few — the select group of students who keep outsiders away? Who is the dark stranger prowling the corridors at night? And what really happened a year earlier, when the last scholarship girl died in mysterious circumstances?

One thing Cassie will discover is that a little knowledge may be a dangerous thing, but knowing too much can be deadly...

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2022 comments WOOT WOOT! IT'S TOMORROW =D

Anita Reads | 1677 comments It's actually now. I haven't started it yet, but I'll be reading a bit before bed.
I just came home from my parents' house. It's their 32nd anniversary today, so we had to celebrate.
I won't have much reading time over the weekend, maybe only Sunday.

message 6: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2022 comments i'll start it in the morning. Every 50 pages and we discuss it?

Anita Reads | 1677 comments Yeah that's fine. I just finished the first 24 pages.

message 8: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2022 comments That epilogue. Grumble grumble grumble. Who on earth is the chick? And did she survive?

Anita Reads | 1677 comments I was wondering about that, too. Do you think it's the MC for something that's to happen later on in the book?
It's just the way she was thinking she doesn't fit in thing.

Anita Reads | 1677 comments I reached the first 50 pages now.
What do you think of the characters so far. I kind of like Cassie alright, and Isabella seems cool enough. What's up with the mysterious Jake and Ranjit Singh.

I like the way Gabriella is writing so far, it captured my attention from the beginning with that prologue.

message 11: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2022 comments i may or may not have read till 75% of the book >_< i'm in the beginning of chapter 18. I'll try not to read any further and wait for you to catch up. And i'll try not to make any spoilers.

About the characters:

Cassie bothers me a little bit. The whole "oh they're stuck ups. They think they're so much better than me" thing is getting old. I feel like she's the one who looks down on everyone else, just because they have money.

Isabella is sweet. Almost 2 sweet >_< but i like her.

Jake.. (view spoiler)

and Ranjit... dam. 75% in the book and i still can't see what's up with him. >_< indeed mysterious.

Richard.. still can't make my mind about him. Definitely a player. But i believe part of his act is actually true.

Most of the people from The Few kinda remind me of those mean cheerleaders from high school >_<

I'm really enjoying the book. I find it a bit predictable at times, but other than that it's very addictive!

Anita Reads | 1677 comments About Richard I'm having the same thoughts as you.

Good thing you read so much. I was really hungover yesterday so I didn't read anything at all. Hopefully today will make up for it:)
Now my plan is to go and get some breakfast and then I'll be ready to read.

You're right about Cassie, in the beginning I didn't think it was too bad, but after having read a few more chapters she definitely thinks more of herself because she's not a rich spoiled girl.

Anita Reads | 1677 comments I have another thought. About the girl in the prologue, do you think that was Jake's sister? Just thought about it since she was found dead and drained of blood.

message 14: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2022 comments yup, i think it is. Which means Ranjit was one of the guys who killed her :( cause he was dating her :(

Anita Reads | 1677 comments Yikes. I'm not sure how far you are but that Keiko girl was freaky. I guess you're right about Ranjit.

message 16: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2022 comments at least that's what it points to. Not sure if it's entirely true. And it's what Jake thinks happened. I finished chapter 17. Haven't read anything since.

message 17: by Anita Reads (last edited Nov 11, 2014 03:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anita Reads | 1677 comments I finished the book now. Let me know when you finish :)

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2022 comments I'm finished =D

Katerina killed her. And yeah i think Richard was somehow in the middle of it. Ranjit was saying how he got delayed in joining her an the Few took advantage of that and went after Jess.

Poor Cassie now stuck with Estelle's "spirit" o_o and did you notice how her tutor or whatever he was, knows about the spirits? When she attacked him, he said "No, not you 2". FREAKY! i liked the book a lot. And it was a fast and easy read =) glad you picked it =p

i also gave the book 3 stars. Want to read #2 in the series? xD

Anita Reads | 1677 comments I meant wasn't Ranjit. Sorry I don't know why I wrote that it was him.

message 20: by Anita Reads (last edited Nov 11, 2014 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anita Reads | 1677 comments Alaric (I forgot how his name was spelled), is definitely part of it. I think he has a demon inside as well.

I'd like to continue the series, but I don't know if I have time to read the next one right away.
I have access to 2+3 at the library.

message 21: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2022 comments it's ok. Let me know when you are reading it and we can read it together again =)

Anita Reads | 1677 comments Will do :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Secret Lives (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gabriella Poole (other topics)