The Challenge Factory discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
♦SS Archives♦ > R4: SS How to Play, Discussion, & Help

Comments Showing 1-50 of 298 (298 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jenne (last edited Nov 03, 2014 07:26AM) (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments

message 2: by Jenne (last edited Nov 03, 2014 07:27AM) (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments

message 3: by Jenne (last edited Mar 06, 2015 06:43AM) (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Round 4 Super Series

✸This is a team challenge that requires 1 book a week. The object of the game is to roll the dice and move along the board. To win a team must roll past 100. Teams will roll on Fridays.

✸Sign ups are open now through 11/10. Then teams will be formed and the game will officially start 11/14.

✸Teams will roll the die by clicking here on Fridays once their team has completed their reads. Please note you will be using two dice for each roll.

Holiday Scheduling:
Thanksgiving-Teams will roll the Friday before (11/21) two times for two spots. No roll on 11/28. Both book's deadline will be Friday (12/5) and then the game resumes it's normal schedule.
Christmas-Teams will roll on Friday (12/19) two times for two spots. No roll on 12/26. Both book's deadline will be 1/2 and then the game resumes it's normal schedule.
If you feel you won't be able to manage either holiday's rolls that's ok. Just let your team know and you can skip those rolls without penalizing the team.

**Very Important**
ALL reviews must be posted BEFORE a team can roll and advance to the next spot.
That being said, players need to have their reviews in on Thursday (for the Friday roll). Real life sometimes gets in the way of play so you do have Friday to get your reviews in before the team is penalized. If a player fails to have their book done two times throughout the game (excluding a prearranged absence) they will no longer be a part of the team.

How to pick a book:
Books are based on the spot you're on not the roll of the die.
If you land on single digit spot for example lets say you land on spot 5 then you have to read a book that's #5 in a series. For double digit numbers, for example you land on spot 48 you can read either a #4 or a #8 in a series.
Standalone books can be used for a 1 or a 0
✸First in a series can be used for a 1

✸I don't expect anyone to read a series out of order and for people that don't read series books that still want to play there will be an alternate option. There will be an alternate option for each spot.

✸There will be a separate thread for captains to post their place on the board after rolling and a separate thread for captains to post a link to the teams completed reviews.

✸Teams will have a chance to earn 1 Free Pass to roll. To earn your free pass your team has to complete their reads a day before the next roll. Once your team has done this you will have 1 free pass. The free pass will allow a team to roll if they are missing a review(s) before the cutoff. The free pass may not be used for the win. Once you've used it, you can't earn another one. It's a one time shot.

✸Re-reads are allowed
✸Page limit is 150
✸When using an anthology you may use any of the numbers in the book except for the .5 since this means 1/2. But you must review each story in the anthology.
✸Series # will be based on how GR has it listed.
✸Deadline cutoffs are based on US Central time zone
✸When posting your review, please include a link to the book, date finished, a rating, and a review. Your review doesn't have to be fancy. When using an alternate option please link the correct edition of your book. (If you're new to Goodreads and don't know how to add a book to your post, check out the How to Guide.

Any questions please feel free to ask!

Time Zone Converter

message 4: by Jenne (last edited Nov 06, 2014 09:54AM) (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments 1. N/A
2. White
3. 2004
4. Re read
5. Title C
6. Cover Item Tree(s)
7. Author W
8. California
9. Green
10. 2002
11. Friendship
12. Title K
13. Cover Item Mode of Transportation
14. Author P
15. Illinois
16. Silver/Gray
17. 2001
18. Tbr Own
19. Title E
20. Cover Item Silhouette
21. Author O
22. Massachutes
23. Yellow
24. 2010
25. Free
26. Title N
27. Cover Item Tattoo
28. Author H
29. England
30. Blue
31. 1999
32. Meh
33. Title L
34. Cover Item Fire
35. Author D
36. Nevada
37. Pink
38. 2014
39. Usa
40. Title B
41. Cover Item More than 2 people
42. Author A
43. Washington, state
44. Red
45. 2012
46. 3 star
47. Title R
48. Cover Item Headless Person
49. Author S
50. Louisiana
51. Orange
52. 2008
53. Amazing
54. Title F
55. Cover Item Animal(s)
56. Author G
57. Texas
58. Black
59. 2013
60. Interested
61. Title M
62. Cover Item Furniture
63. Author T
64. New York
65. Purple
66. 2011
67. Listened
68. Title P
69. Cover Item No People
70. Author C
71. Australia
72. Multi-colored (more than 3 colors)
73. 2009
74. Movies
75. Title S
76. Cover Item Moon
77. Author L
78. Florida
79. Black
80. 2012
81. The Best
82. Title I
83. Cover Item Smoke
84. Author V
85. Oregon
86. Blue
87. 2010
88. Borrowed Books
89. Title G
90. Cover Item Red Dress
91. Author K
92. Canada
93. Purple
94. 2014
95. Now
96. Title H
97. Cover Item 1 Person
98. Author J
99. Arizona
100. Yellow

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1050 comments shouldn't the deadline for thankgiving roll be 12/5 and not 11/5

message 6: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Yep, fixed gracias for catching that =]

message 8: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16210 comments Mod
I am in

message 9: by Pat (new)

Pat | 157 comments I'm in!

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Of course!

message 11: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (bookboss) Sign me up :)

message 12: by Minttu (last edited Nov 03, 2014 09:47AM) (new)

Minttu (menthae) | 143 comments Any prediction on how long the challenge will run? I'm travelling on New Year and won't have internet for 2 weeks. So I'm wondering if I can join. :)

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Sign me up please!

message 14: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Minttu I'm guessing mid-end January now that it's 100 spots on the board. If you're trip is after New Years and doesn't fall under the holiday scheduling we can always get a sub to step in while you're gone.

message 15: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 1496 comments I'm in

message 16: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 896 comments I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm in again.

message 17: by Minttu (new)

Minttu (menthae) | 143 comments Yay! Great. Sign me up then!

Most likely I'll be gone the first two weeks of January returning on 14th. I'll know next week. It's a pity I don't have internet connection over there because I get so much reading done on holiday :D

message 18: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1052 comments Sign me up for this one!!

message 19: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Please sign up in the sign up thread. I've gotten everyone updated to here.
Not trying to be a pain in the butt, it's just easier this way for me not to overlook someone when I bounce back and forth between the two versions.

message 20: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 2441 comments This doesn't pertain to the once a week roll since that's done on Friday mornings.

**Very Important**
A team can not advance if all reviews are not in by the deadline. That being said, players need to have their reviews in on Wednesday (for the Thursday roll) and on Saturday (for the Sunday roll). Real life sometimes gets in the way of play so you do have Thursday and Sunday to get your reviews in before the team is penalized. If a player fails to have their book done two times throughout the game (excluding a prearranged absence) they will no longer be a part of the team.

message 21: by Nicole (last edited Nov 03, 2014 02:11PM) (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 245 comments Thanks for clarifying that Joanne. I had wondered whether the roll date for SS had changed this time around ;)

message 22: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Lol no copy and paste strikes again....
It applies just with being done on Thursday and Friday being the leeway. When I'm at the computer I'll fix it.

message 23: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 2441 comments Jenne wrote: "Lol no copy and paste strikes again....
It applies just with being done on Thursday and Friday being the leeway. When I'm at the computer I'll fix it."

At least you know we're reading what gets posted - LOL!
Just say it was a test.

message 24: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Lol no kidding!! I've been off my game the last few days, all sorts of oops!

message 25: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 220 comments Its been awhile since I played but I'm not really getting the Friday and Sunday roll. There are 2 rolls per week? And if we roll on friday shouldn't we have our reviews in by Thursday instead of wednesday? I'm a little confused

message 26: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments See a couple of posts up, copy and paste got me into trouble lol. For SS we roll on Friday, books need to be in Thursday with Friday being the deadline.

message 27: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire wrote: "Its been awhile since I played but I'm not really getting the Friday and Sunday roll. There are 2 rolls per week? And if we roll on friday shouldn't we have our reviews in by Thursday instead of we..."

I wish mods could edit other mods posts. lol

Jenne accidentally copied and pasted the SSS roll information. She's going to update that as soon as she's near a computer. But for SS, we only roll once.

message 28: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments No joke me too P! After I get the minions settled for the night I'll get it fixed :)

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy H (twinypa) | 426 comments I am in again!!!!!

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 80 comments Since I'm not up for doing the whole thing this time I wouldn't mind being a sub for those times when someone is going to be away for a week or two.

message 31: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments All fixed!!!! Sorry for the confusion.

Awesome Melissa, we'll be calling on you more than likely :)

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 80 comments Jenne, just send me a message at those times and I'll let you know if I can :)

message 33: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 514 comments I am in!

Dana (aNovelAllure) (dana7lynn9) | 36 comments I'd like to play in one of these eventually, but I can't quite grasp the concept of how it's played. LOL I get there are teams and you roll once a week. If the spot you 'land' on determines which series number book you read, how do you advance on the board? Does each team member roll/read one book a week?

message 35: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Lol, it's a lot easier to play than explain :)

Basically each team rolls once a week, you advance the board by what you rolled.
Each teammate reads a book based on the spot they landed on either by series number or alternate option.
Once all reviews are in and it's Friday you roll again and start it all over lol.

Feel free to look at past teams that have been archived here.

message 36: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (whatkreads) This sounds fun. Sign me up please!

Dana (aNovelAllure) (dana7lynn9) | 36 comments Jenne wrote: "Lol, it's a lot easier to play than explain :)

Basically each team rolls once a week, you advance the board by what you rolled.
Each teammate reads a book based on the spot they landed on either b..."

Ah, thanks Jenne :) I think I get it now. I'd love to give it a go. Count me in please!

message 38: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 896 comments Jenne wrote: "Please sign up in the sign up thread. I've gotten everyone updated to here.
Not trying to be a pain in the butt, it's just easier this way for me not to overlook someone when I bounce back and fort..."

Sorry Jenne - Didn't even realize I wasn't in the sign up thread. :( Sorry for making extra work for you.

message 39: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments No probs :)
I'm still adding them back and forth.

message 40: by Steph (new)

Steph Davis | 389 comments I'm in

message 41: by Fairlee (new)

Fairlee Corkran | 58 comments I was so mad that my computer died before last round but I m in this time.

message 42: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) Jenne wrote: "1. N/A
2. White
3. 2004
4. Re read
5. Title C
6. Cover Item Tree(s)
7. Author W
8. California
9. Green
10. 2002
11. Friendship
12. Title K
14. Author P
15. Ill..."

so..should we read the book that meets this criteria... depending on the roll of the dice..?

message 43: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments You have the alternate option or you can do the series # option, whichever you prefer each week.

message 44: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) thanks...

message 45: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 2441 comments Jenne wrote: "1. N/A
2. White
3. 2004
4. Re read
5. Title C
6. Cover Item Tree(s)
7. Author W
8. California
9. Green
10. 2002
11. Friendship
12. Title K
14. Author P
15. Ill..."

Don't you have to go past 100 to win? Will you be posting other alternates later?
If we do read 100 + for the last roll is each digit by itself for a series? So if you reach 103 you can read book 1, a stand alone or #3 in a series?

message 46: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments I always randomly select them a few weeks before the game is over :)

message 47: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 2441 comments Jenne wrote: "I always randomly select them a few weeks before the game is over :)"

okay - thanks!

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Question re: #43 - Washington

Do you mean the state of Washington or Washington D.C.?

message 49: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments The state, I'll edit it to say so. I actually thought about it and then just kept on typing lol.

message 50: by Jenne (last edited Nov 06, 2014 10:11AM) (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Also for anyone who's not played before - here's one of my reviews from the last round:

spot 58:
Read On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror, #5) by Karina Halle by Karina Halle
Finished 10/13/14
Rating ★★★★★
Review
I have a very bad problem, it's called the EIT disorder. I can't think of anything else, I don't want to read anything else, and I know when it's over I'm going to be crushed. But it's a bittersweet torture and I'm loving every second of it.

If you're debating on reading these books, stop what you're doing and get to downloading them. There are only a handful of times that I can think of where a book had such an impact that it changes you somewhat and all of these are doing this. The dynamics between Dex and Perry are unbelievable and I will never get enough of these two. Mrs. halle is a gifted author and these books leave me speechless.

The key things are a link to your book (When using the alternate that involves cover items, colors, or publications years please be sure to link the right edition)
Date finished
A 1-5 rating
Your review

If you're new to Gr and need help with adding a book to your post (or any other HTML help) check out our how to guide. You can always shoot me or any of the mods a pm for help too =]

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.