CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2014 Weekly Threads > Week 44: What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Welcome to November!

This month's challenge is a bit different, and I want to encourage everyone to find a book that was published in a language other than English. It was a bit difficult for me to put the display together for the Central Library; you can't just walk down a row of shelves and immediately spot the books that were written in another language before being translated. I hope everyone is able to find a good book to try for this month's challenge!

This week I'm starting fresh with S. an experimental fiction novel by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams. It has multiple pieces that fall out of the book if you aren't careful. It should be interesting...
S. by J.J. Abrams

What is everyone else reading this week?

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 446 comments I've got a list I can send you for your display, also if you search using "translated" as a key word the list you get is pretty good. I've got The Count of Monte Cristo on my Nook and am slowly working my way through it. The book for this month's book club is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I haven't finished The Shining yet, not sure if I will. And I started listening to New York to Dallas on audio.

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Thanks for the suggestion, Ann! I hadn't thought of using that as a keyword. I'll try that.

message 4: by Cami (new)

Cami This was an interesting theme to select a book display for. I have about 15 items and it will be a challenge to replentish here at IR!

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Next month will be even more difficult! The challenge is to read a book that was on a Best of 2014 list. Considering we can't keep most new books on the shelves, I'm thinking of doing a display that will include books from the past few years that have been on best of lists or have won awards.

message 6: by Cami (new)

Cami Thanks for the heads up. I may have to look at various 'Best of' lists. I'm sure that there will be similar titles but maybe I can find an obscure blogger or something that will have a great list of interesting reads.

message 7: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt I am reading "October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard" by Leslea Newman. Wow, what a powerful teen read. Chesapeake Public Library really needs to purchase this one. October Mourning A Song for Matthew Shepard by Lesléa Newman