The Nooks of Books discussion

For fun > What book got you started?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raegan (new)

Raegan   Ralls  | 1297 comments Mine was The Lightning Thief by: Rick Riordan.
My sister gave it to me and a year later I read it!
How about you guys? What book got you into reading?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Ummmm....
Quantum physics got me into reading and I've always loved young adult fiction books!

message 3: by Reese (new)

Reese Kennedy | 18 comments Mine was the Hobbit by Tolkein.
I borrowed it from an older brother on a rainy afternoon and I fell in love :)

message 4: by ClearSkye (new)

ClearSkye | 205 comments The lunar chronicles and from there I pretty much kept reading different series

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) Watersong Series.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

THE ABC'S.....i was one and i liked seeing words on pages :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

yassss....i was a weird child

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) love it!

message 10: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Gulledge (momtognm) I've always been a big reader; I've loved romance and fantasy most of my life. The Belgariad and Mallorean Series by David Eddings and Piers Anthony's Xanth books were some of my earliest favorites.

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia I think what really got me started reading was Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by J.K Rowling. I remember after I read the Harry Potter series I went into the bookshop and asked if they any thing else, I was so desperate.

message 12: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan...

message 13: by Raegan (new)

Raegan   Ralls  | 1297 comments ♆Beth♆♫But The Monsters Turned Out To Be Just Trees♫ wrote: "The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan..."

Cool! Haven't read that yet but I will soon because the Heroes of Olympus series is over.

message 14: by Muhammad (new)

Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui (lifeisbooks) | 1 comments The perks of being a wallflower

message 15: by Nigham (new)

Nigham | 1 comments The Cheater by R.L Stine. :)

Ƭнєяє ιѕ ησ gяєαтєя ѕσяяσω тнαη тσ яєcαƖƖ тнє мιѕєяу ιη тιмє ωє ωєяє нαρρу. (Percy) | 1 comments to be honest in percy jackson i read the MoA and i didnt understand a thing but then i read the lightning theif and i fell in love ;)

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Lee (hlbookworm) The Mortal Instruments series got me started. It was just so interesting and so fun to read! I'm a huge binge-reader now! haha

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire I've been a reader, but the series that really kicked my obsession into gear is Harry Potter.

message 19: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Surprisingly, it was a little picture book called Froggy Goes to School by Jonathan London. My fantastic Mom used to read them to me until I was old enough to read them myself. Who knew such little things could create something so big. :)

message 20: by Lu (new)

Lu (lu_herondale) | 20 comments Harry Potter, in 2006. Actually, i was started in the lecture myself in 2008, first, my mother (who, as well as me) i a huge HP fan, read it to me at night. She stoped doing it in the middle of the third book, i was curious and i finished it. Since then, i havent stoped.

message 21: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 65 comments I have always loved reading but the books that got me started on like avid reading and being obsessed with books are the nancy drew books and divergent. :)

message 22: by Benita (new)

Benita (starscries) | 33 comments Twilight got me into reading, think it was in 2010 or something :)

message 23: by Rhystlynne (new)

Rhystlynne (inkbottleburning) | 168 comments I probably got started reading with the Geronimo Stilton book...which I still read.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 173 comments Christine by Stephen King.
I've always enjoyed reading, but I had a really hard time with it when I was 10-11.
I just stopped liking it.
but I took Christine off my mom's shelf and, even though it took me a month to read it, I loved it.
I wanted to read more books by Stephen King, and just like that I was into reading again.

message 25: by Storm (last edited Feb 19, 2015 01:59PM) (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 33 comments Don't Go to SLeep by R. L. Stine. I had just moved to my town and I was so bored, I needed something quiet I could do, so one day while my mom and I were out we stopped into a used bookstore and I found the Goosebumps section. I picked out a few books and I didn't stop. It scared me of course, I was ten and a chicken at times but it was so much fun. That was the first time, I ever read a book without pictures and I never looked back. Before that my mom used to read to me every night before I went to sleep, she had been doing that since I was a baby. It's a big part of why I love books so much now.

message 26: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (wisegirlonfire) When I was younger I read the American Girl books, but probably Percy Jackson got me into reading

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (fullycyn) | 17 comments It was A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett for me. I think it was around 2009. Until now the book is still my best favorite read <3

message 28: by Nix (new)

Nix (nixd) | 50 comments Percy Jackson got me into reading! My friend told me I should read them, and I said, " I'm not really into Greek myth, and I know nothing about it." Then, I read the first book, and I was like O MY GOD!!!!! Anybody now who says I know nothing about greek myth will be laughed at and would be kidding themselves.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

The book that got me started....oh gosh.....I think it was the second Magic Tree House book, which I read when I was seven

message 30: by ClearSkye (new)

ClearSkye | 205 comments ☯Lυcια~Gıяʟ Fяσм Tнε Sυп~Iƨ Cαυɢнт Aғʟαмε☯ wrote: "The book that got me started....oh gosh.....I think it was the second Magic Tree House book, which I read when I was seven"

me tooo!!! but then i stopped reading them and well..that was the end of that :P

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Um...it wasn't a specific book actually. Ever since I was little, I've just read anything I could get my hands on. I've always loved reading! <3

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

CℓєαяSкує♆ wrote: "☯Lυcια~Gıяʟ Fяσм Tнε Sυп~Iƨ Cαυɢнт Aғʟαмε☯ wrote: "The book that got me started....oh gosh.....I think it was the second Magic Tree House book, which I read when I was seven"

me tooo!!! but then i..."

I didnt stop reading them til I was like 13 XD

message 33: by ClearSkye (new)

ClearSkye | 205 comments I just ran outa them

message 34: by America (new)

America | 33 comments Azalea wrote: "THE ABC'S.....i was one and i liked seeing words on pages :)"

Same. I have always loved reading.

message 35: by Haley (new)

Haley | 79 comments Hm.... I have to say that the books that got me into reading were the Junie B. Jones. I wasn't really big on reading when I was little, until about second or third grade, when I first started reading the Junie B. Jones books.

message 36: by Desert Rose (new)

Desert Rose (desert_rose) | 7 comments The Lightning by Dean Koontz

I bought it from a store in an airport somewhere and left it on the shelf for a couple of years. But when I stated it I was hooked and that was the beginning of serious novel reading!!

AJ (the.booknerd.reads) (thebooknerdreads) This is such a cliche answer, but Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

message 38: by Nova (new)

Nova (jbriana) | 10 comments I started the Percy Jackson series way back in like, fifth grade. It's still my favorite series to this day.

message 39: by Meka (last edited Aug 25, 2015 12:11PM) (new)

Meka Harry Potter.. I loved it.. and after that i loved reading

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved reading since primary school. Enid Blyton was my favourite then. But after reading Mara dyer Trilogy I loved reading even more. Technically I started reading REAL books (YA, High school) then

message 41: by Mark (last edited Jan 08, 2016 10:04AM) (new)

Mark Bourland | 4 comments The Good Earth This was probably the first book that ever "came alive" in my head as I read it. Still love to read.

message 42: by John (last edited Jan 21, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

John Bentley (jaybeetrs) | 2 comments Kipling with the Mowgli series when I was a kid. In my teens: Conan Doyle with Sherlock Holmes and other books he wrote. Baroness Orczyy with The Scarlet Pimpernel and Sapper with Bulldog Drummond -the forerunner of James Bond. Tolstoy and Kafka and Doestoevsky .Then Ian Fleming and Bond. That's 60 years ago now! And now I have started reading history again and writing it too. Would be interesting to know of any of this group have read any of these once great books.