What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Devil's Heaven: A Neil Hockaday Mystery
This topic is about Devil's Heaven
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. NYC detective novel, with moon pies [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christi | 25 comments So there's a detective, he's a recovering alcoholic and if I recall correctly he got tossed from the police force because of that, but he maintains contacts within the police department. Or he's still a cop, but he takes a lot of crap because of his history. ANYWAY He's married to a woman named Ruby from NO,who loves moon pies. I think this is a series, but as I can't remember the author there's no way to know. The book I read involved grisly murders in a basement, with definite sado-sexual-Satanic overtones. The best part is, I can't remember how it ends, so if I pick it up again I can reread it. joy. I just remember I really enjoyed the characterization, the humor was wry and the imagery was really absorbing. And maybe there was "Red" in the title, I think. maybe.

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Andrews | 55 comments This sounds so familiar. I'm sure I read it in the past year or two. Unfortunately though I read a lot of detective novels. I'll rack my brains to see if I can remember the title. Btw I'm almost certain this is a series.

Christi | 25 comments Thanks so much for your reply...I read the book years ago, and it's driving me crazy. I have this deep-seated belief that the author's name included 'Thomas' somewhere, but I might have made that part up. I think the wife's Creole-transplant theme was on its way to being developed further, if that helps. Thanks again!!

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo Andrews | 55 comments Well I've been through my entire Kindle collection and it's not in there. My other main source of books, especially crime thrillers, is my mum, so I'll see if she has any ideas!

message 5: by Juels (last edited Nov 03, 2014 10:36AM) (new)

Christi | 25 comments Devil's Heaven, that's it!!! You guys are the BEST, thanks so much!!

message 7: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2476 comments You're welcome.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Christi, do you mean the detective's wife is from Norway? Where is he from?
What's the location of the story?
Around what year did you read this book?