Read Runners discussion

Dracula
This topic is about Dracula
Archives > November Read - Dracula

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Don't put away those Halloween costumes yet! For, the terrifying vampire, the frightening Count Dracula cometh.

Let's prepare to discuss this book this month, and sharpen your fangs to silence those dissenting voices.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) I love this book! I read it every year. :) I also watch it every year. I even have a tattoo of Bela!

message 3: by Srividya (last edited Nov 07, 2014 03:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Calling all those who voted and those who are interested in reading and discussing this book.

We are planning on doing two chapters a day and discussing our impressions on those two chapters, starting tomorrow. So all those who are interested, I hope you will come here with your impressions on the first two chapters tomorrow :) Happy reading everyone :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) I will be up for that. Since I read it every year this time I'm going to listen to the cool audio version :) I've started it and am looking forward to the discussion.

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Good to see signs of life (or shall I say 'reanimation') here! I'm in too!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) I started reading King's 'Salem's Lot. There was a introduction and he talked about how much he loved Dracula. That it was his first horror book he read and loved it. That it inspired him. He broke it down and it's the reason why he wrote Salem's Lot. I love those kinds of connections.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) I must say that I wasn't impressed with King's 'Salem's Lot. For some reason, it was highly predictable and the least scary! I know I fall under the smallest of category of people who think that way and am in for a lynching by all King fans but still it never did anything to me - Neither did it scare me nor did it amaze me. However, one thing is for sure, King sure builds his world beautifully, which made up for all my disappointment in the actual story and its supposed 'chill and scare' factor.

(view spoiler)

Not much of a spoiler though but I wouldn't have someone kill me for not using it, now would I? :P

I have only managed a few pages, given that I was reading other books simultaneously but couldn't help expressing these first thoughts.

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) As agreed, I finished reading the first two chapters of Dracula.

(view spoiler)

message 9: by A (new)

A How's it going guys? As a tribute to readers here, I'll watch Dracula untold :-P

Purvika (frostybells) | 2432 comments I have read it long back. And simply loved it... All this discussion is making me want to read it all over again :P

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) The bats have left the bell tower
The victims have been bled
Red velvet lines the black box...

I find it funny that ten people voted for the book but everyone that is partaking in the discussion has read it. It's one of my favorites, but if I had to pick between Frankenstein and Dracula. It would be Frankenstein. Now, saying that, I do love my Dracula. The style Dracula was written with all the letters and entries. I'd love to see a newer version style of it like 'The Lizzie Bennet Diaries', with blogs and webcast and emails.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) @Rachel - True that! But what fun it is to revisit this book after so many years! Hey btw you are listening to the audio version right? Is it from Librivox or Audible?

I just downloaded the Dramatic reading of Dracula from Librivox and the narrator is having me in splits... It really doesn't feel like I am reading horror because the so-called dramatics is just too funny :P

@Purvika - Do read it again. That's what we are all doing here :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) Sri I'm listening the the Audible one because it was free last month. It is really good. Alan Cumming plus others are reading it. :)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Ah okay Rachel. Do listen to this version when you can, its just too funny. I just couldn't concentrate so switched to reading instead of listening! :)

Will check that one out later :)

message 15: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Nov 13, 2014 12:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) This is the first time I'm listening to it. I read the book every year. It's been a favorite for decades. Goodness, I sound so old saying that. :P

This one is actually pretty good plus I'm a huge fan of Alan Cumming and Tim Curry. It makes it nice because it's like Alan is personally reading to me. Haha.

I announced it in the chat wala that it was free and since it was our BoM that people should grab it but I only think two people replied to it. I was like oh well, their loss.

BTW if I'm going to listen to an audiobook it's going to be great quality. I've listen to some and was like nope, never.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Ohh I guess I missed the announcement! My bad! :( :(

I haven't been really up and active there..so didn't see it earlier, else would have definitely gotten it. Or on second thoughts, I wasn't much of a fan of audio books earlier, so might have dithered. It is after reading/ listening to The Enchanted April that I am now interested in listening to some other good ones :)

Anyway will stop spamming here, else the Mod will get me for sure! :P

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) Eh, it's my bad. I should have told Sumit to put it in his newsletter but then I think I told him I snagged it. So, who knows. I did think about it but just didn't. C'est la vie.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) No worries :)

Next time you come across something like this, I believe there is a thread for such announcements, you can always put it up there :)

Purvika (frostybells) | 2432 comments @ Sri oh I already added it to currently reading :D couldn't stay away from it :P

What I like most about is, how explicitly the journal been written.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Great Purvika :)

Yes it is wonderfully written, isn't it?

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Rachel, I like both - Frankenstein and Dracula. However, I think Frankenstein is more of a sad story and I actually felt sorry for Frankenstein's 'monster'. Also, one question in my mind deeply bothered me - Was the 'monster' the real monster or was it Frankenstein himself? (Another book that brings this question up a bit more explicitly is I Am Legend - VERY different from the Will Smith movie, and very thought-provoking)

Dracula is much more horrifying, and I reckon that part of it is because it is written in journal form. A journal is supposed to be a collection of a person's private thoughts, and hence, is likely to be much more raw and gritty than a mere narrative or a dialogue.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) Oh I love 'I Am Legend'. That's a great book. The best movie that is the closest to the book is the old Vincent Prince one, 'Last Man on Earth'.

I love the sci-fi in Frankenstein also how sweet the Frankenstein's monster. I would say it was Frankenstein that was the monster.

Dracula is a wonderful book and I love the style. You get different views of it.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Another book on my Keepers Shelf!