The Sword and Laser discussion

The Stand
This topic is about The Stand
Anyone else want to do The Stand at some point?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew Anderson | 60 comments Seeing as how the group's never done anything by Stephen King, why don't we all read The Stand?

message 2: by Dustin (last edited Nov 02, 2014 06:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments I wanted to vote for it but I didn't even see it on the book of the month poll. Cut or Uncut?

terpkristin | 4142 comments I think it's a bit long for a month-long pick, and that may turn off some people. I read the uncut version in 2012 and I'd definitely recommend the cut version...there was a lot in the uncut version that should have been left on the editor's floor.

Not that the book was without merit, and I'd jump in for the conversations that I remember things, but I would definitely see it as a mixed reaction book.

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3532 comments Mod
Is it better than the mini-series? I hated most, but especially the ending of that. I realise TV has butchered every King book they've adapted.

(view spoiler)

If it is for a S&L book pick, I would prefer one of King's other books. One with a less religious view of good versus evil.

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Is it better than the mini-series? I hated most, but especially the ending of that. I realise TV has butchered every King book they've adapted..."

I didn't finish it, but I liked the religious aspect. It gave it a sort of fantasy/ dark lord feel. Saw Flagg as a Sauron kind of character.

terpkristin wrote: "I think it's a bit long for a month-long pick, and that may turn off some people. I read the uncut version in 2012 and I'd definitely recommend the cut version...there was a lot in the uncut versio..."

Last I checked, only the uncut version was easily available in audiobook. That was some time ago.

message 6: by Thane (last edited Nov 02, 2014 08:40PM) (new)

Thane | 476 comments I dunno. I just read that. Back in 1991.

Actually I'm curious if old me would find it as good as teenage me did back then. I mentally place myself back in the school cafeteria when I think of this book. It was a giant chunk of a book and I had to read it every chance I had.

Phil | 1140 comments I didn't like the super-natural aspect of this one very much either. I wish he had just made it a straight survival story.
I've only read a few King books because they were on a book list I was following and I've been pretty unimpressed.

message 8: by James (new) - added it

James  Love (jim_love) Yes. I would. Preferably the uncut version.

Isaiah | 74 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Is it better than the mini-series? I hated most, but especially the ending of that. I realise TV has butchered every King book they've adapted.

[spoilers removed]

If it is for a S&L book pick, I ..."

To answer your question,yes, the book has that ending. There is a lot more followup to it in the book though.

Caitlin | 355 comments I'm in the middle of reading it now and I wish I had known there was a shorter version because it's very slow going so far. I'm only 30% in.

message 11: by AndrewP (new) - added it

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2479 comments It's on my future reading list and I have the uncut hardback edition. illustrated by Bernie Wrightson, on my shelf.

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments I always forget how dark this story gets. I'm not that familair with many dark and gritty stories so I'm curious how would others rate it on a scale of 1-10?

message 13: by John (Taloni) (last edited Nov 04, 2014 09:38AM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3948 comments Dustin wrote: "I always forget how dark this story gets. I'm not that familair with many dark and gritty stories so I'm curious how would others rate it on a scale of 1-10?"

I read it about 30 years ago while visiting relatives during Christmas. Lots of downtime. Anyway, I didn't particularly like it and found it overlong. Maybe a 5. If it were a book of the month for S&L, I'd give that month a pass. I don't know as I'd consider King to be either Sword or Laser. I get that he is popular, but so is Agatha Christie and we're not reading her books here. (Bring in Gil the ARM and I'll be good for a mystery book.)

message 14: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Stephen King is definitely a Sword and Laser writer. A lot of his books combine both genres. The Stand and The Dark Tower series have elements of both genres.

terpkristin | 4142 comments I would love to read The Eyes of the Dragon. I really disliked The Dark Tower books and while I enjoyed parts of The Stand (and am glad I read it, culturally), I'm not sure how well it would work as a pick. But as I said, if it IS a pick, I'll jump into the conversations for things I remember.

I'd probably only join "hate" threads for DT. ;) :P (just kidding)

message 16: by Ty (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments I wouldn't mind re-reading The Stand or The Eyes of the Dragon. Uncle Stevie is one of my favorite authors and his books should spark some interesting conversations.

message 17: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I'd love to do "The Eyes of the Dragon". I can understand the dislike of the Dark Tower series. As much as I love it overall, I have deep dislike for certain aspects of it. (The ending and King's insertion of himself as a character at the top of the list)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Maybe Supreme Sword will see this thread and scroll down to see 3 people "vote" for The Eyes of the Dragon. :P

Leesa (leesalogic) | 643 comments I love Stephen King. :) I thought The Stand was fantastic.

My favorite fantasy novel ever is The Talisman.

message 20: by Sean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments John wrote: "I don't know as I'd consider King to be either Sword or Laser."

The author isn't what determines whether a book is sword or laser -- if it were, we could be reading mysteries by Isaac Asimov, historical novels by Robert Jordan and bodice rippers by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. The only thing that counts is the content of the book, and The Stand falls within any reasonable definition of science fiction and fantasy.

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6784 comments Mod
I rather enjoyed the Stand, but I think Eyes of the Dragon would be a much more approachable read for the group as it's waaaay shorter.

But it's also much less well received, though I enjoyed it when I read it in college. I would consider a reread if the group did end up doing it.