Books2Movies Club discussion

Ivanhoe
This topic is about Ivanhoe
Books2Movies Projects > EPICS 03.0 - Ivanhoe -- Introduction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (last edited Nov 02, 2014 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeljka (ztook) | 2832 comments Mod
The stirring drama of Ivanhoe, set against a shimmering backdrop of chivalry, Norman-Saxon conflict, and medieval pageantry establish Sir Walter Scott as the originator of the historical novel. A master storyteller, Scott weaves a tale of courtly love and derring-do that has thrilled readers since its first appearance in 1820.

From the back blurb of the book to the book itself, here is how you can read the book, as it is separated only by the chapters:

EPICS 03.1 – Ivanhoe – Part One (Chapters 1-17)
EPICS 03.2 – Ivanhoe – Part Two (Chapters 18-34)
EPICS 03.3 – Ivanhoe – Part Three (Chapters 35-44)
EPICS 03.4 – Ivanhoe – Movies and Comparisons

Considering the interest, all threads but the movie one will be available from the start.

I think I should note here, that in some editions of the book, there are also two introductions to the text. The first one is Dedicatory Epistle (I think in the spirit of his Waverley series) and the second one is introduction proper. Also, I think it is worth trying to get an e-book with original illustrations (if you are into such things), they look really great.

Travis (travistousant) | 58 comments I absolutely loved this book. Never seen any movies. Solid 5 stars. A great adventure novel that even as oldas it is is still very easy to read and understand. I hope many people take the opportunity to read this.

I agree. I read it long ago, but remember I enjoyed it very much. I saw only one movie, that famous one with Robert and Elizabeth Taylor. It was pretty good I think, maybe a bit old-fashioned, but entertaining nevertheless :)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments Mod
I almost never read introductions, I find most of the time that they contain just about every plot spoiler imaginable, so I prefer to read the story, then, if I'm interested, to read the introduction. Unless, of course, the introduction itself is considered important literature, which does happen from time to time.