Children's Books discussion

Fiction Club Archive > Nov/Dec The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane | 69 comments The book we will be discussing for the next two months is The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan. This is the first book in The Heroes of Olympus series . This fantasy is on the longer side 557 pages. We hope you enjoy it.

In January we will be posting a new poll. The poll will focus on the younger side of middle grade fiction. I am aware that many of our titles have been geared to the older middle grade reader.

We look forward to our discussions!!

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Meads | 94 comments I read this one earlier this year. I'd like to hear others responses to it.

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane | 69 comments Chris wrote: "I read this one earlier this year. I'd like to hear others responses to it."
My students love this series.. I'm hoping I enjoy this series as much as I did the Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief series. They were all fast paced quick reads.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Meads | 94 comments I've enjoyed it so far. I have all the books except the last one that just came out.

message 5: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments Great choice since it's been one of those "I-want-to-read-it" books that I've had around a while now. I love all my groups on GR because you always point me in the right direction!

message 6: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 160 comments So I'm really enjoying it, I'm only a 100 pages in, so a lot to cover but my one area that I'm NOT enjoying is that it is spoiling a lot of the Percy Jackson series. I've only read the first Percy and I thought that they were separate but I do feel like some of the major components of Percy stories have been spoiled. I thought they were advertised as similar but unrelated.

message 7: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 121 comments Jasmine wrote: "So I'm really enjoying it, I'm only a 100 pages in, so a lot to cover but my one area that I'm NOT enjoying is that it is spoiling a lot of the Percy Jackson series. I've only read the first Percy ..."

No, they're sequential with the Heroes of Olympus following the Percy Jackson series. The Kane Chronicles are unrelated until though there are some crossover ebooks that I haven't seen.

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 181 comments I LOVE these books! It definitely follows the Percy Jackson series. I have finished the first three books in this series. I love the links between Roman and Greek mythology.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane | 69 comments l' m loving this book as well. I really appreciate Riordan' s strong female characters. I hope to be finished by the weekend

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane | 69 comments So, I have finished!! I loved this book. I really like the way Rick Riordan weaves together all of the characters, even from a previous series, The Percy Jackson series. The characters interact with each other in a relatively realistic way for a fantasy novel. Leo's character has resonated with me. Leo's concern for Festus helped to make a mechanical dragon real. Real to someone who is not the biggest fan of the fantasy genre.
I can see why my students have devoured this series. The book was a face paced read. Though, some of my students could do with out the lovey-dovey nonsense as they call it... I'm looking forward to reading the Son of Neptune.

message 11: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 160 comments I finished this book last night and also really enjoyed it. I can understand why it's SO popular and while popular I also appreciate the depth of characters. I've had wonderful conversations with my niece and nephew about the series and I also love hearing there thoughts on the book. Excellent read.

message 12: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments I really liked my first book by Rick Riordan The Lost Hero. The characters were great and learning about the Greek and Roman heroes brought back memories from when I was young. I think if I had read this book when I was in my teens I would have gone crazy over the series. The courage and heroics that Riordan puts the characters through and the humor of Leo made the story perfect. How Riordan came up with all the ideas and settings was amazing. If I have time I'm going to try to read at least the next book in the series. I'd also like to read the Percy Jackson books. Another good choice for me in this GR group!