The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Personal Challenges - 2014 > Sara Jayne's End of Year Wrap Up thread

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 10, 2014 05:37PM) (new)

I'm joining the group at the beginning of November, so my personal challenge thread for 2014 will be a bit sparse :) But, there's a few books I need to get through yet this year, because I've already included them in my reading scrap book, (I had a coupon so I submitted it early lol).

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 04, 2014 03:51AM) (new)

What a reading scrap book is- this is something new I'm trying for this year. I love the idea of keeping a reading journal, to showcase the books I read every year. I was going to start a journal, when I found a website (mixedbook), where you can make photo 'scrap books' for fairly cheap (I did mine for under $20 with a coupon code I found).

My plan is to make one at the end of each year, starting this year, with all of the covers of the books I've read that year, along with any quotes that stood out to me, notes etc.

I just submitted my order yesterday for my 2014 one, and I have no idea if the pictures will turn out. But I think this will be a great yearly, personal keepsake if it does turn out!

Here's my proof, of my 2014 album :)

http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/in...

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy The scratch book is such a great idea, Kate. I usually keep notebooks or binders, but not for all the books I read. The book covers are such a good addition to the reading record. I'm going to have a better look at this website from my laptop later. Thanks for the info!

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 02, 2014 04:00AM) (new)

Sandy wrote: "The scratch book is such a great idea, Kate. I usually keep notebooks or binders, but not for all the books I read. The book covers are such a good addition to the reading record. I'm going to have..."

I got warning notices that some of the images weren't clear enough (I just copied them from GR), so I don't know if they'll all turn out-I really hope they do though! I should get my order by mid November-I'll update here when it comes, to let everyone know how it worked out :)

message 5: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
Lovely idea, Kate! Good luck with your year's wrap up. :)

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Pretty cool Kate! :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Amber wrote: "Pretty cool Kate! :)"

Thanks, I really hope it turns out!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Only 59 days left in the year, wow has time flown by! Starting to think of my reading goals for 2015. Love the start of a new year/a fresh start for goals and challenges :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 03, 2014 12:11PM) (new)

2015 goals list.....work in progress.....

message 10: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
You'll be able to set up your official 2915 Personal Challenge thread from December onwards.

Good idea planning this early!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Holly wrote: "You'll be able to set up your official 2915 Personal Challenge thread from December onwards.

Good idea planning this early!"

Thanks!

message 12: by Aitziber (new)

Aitziber Holly wrote: "You'll be able to set up your official 2915 Personal Challenge thread from December onwards.

But I'll be dead by then! D:

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Aitziber wrote: "Holly wrote: "You'll be able to set up your official 2915 Personal Challenge thread from December onwards.

But I'll be dead by then! D:"

Hahaha, just caught that too :D

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 22, 2014 03:24PM) (new)

Books Read Tally (for the group monthly count/10,000 group goal)

November: 10
December:

message 15: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments That scrapbook is really cool. I love it.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Chase wrote: "That scrapbook is really cool. I love it."

Thanks :) I just got a shipping notice, so it might be here later this week/beginning of next week already yay!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

My book cover scrap book came in the mail today and it's awesome!! All the cover images turned out really well and the book is put together nicely. So excited about this and I'm going to plan on doing one every year, from now on :D

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome Kate! ^_^ that's great.

Brenda (aka Gramma) | 278 comments I love the scrapbook idea. Glad yours turned out so nicely!

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen | 289 comments I absolutely love the scrapbook idea and yours looked great. Lots of interesting looking books in there too. Glad to hear you were happy with the end product :)

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'd like to make my own too but wouldn't want to pay for it. I think if you had Microsoft word and photos you could do it like that too.

message 22: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments tried scrapbooking but it's not for me

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 08, 2014 12:00PM) (new)

Sonya wrote: "tried scrapbooking but it's not for me"

I did a digital one online, to record all the book covers of all the books I read this year :) It was a lot of fun to put together!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Amber wrote: "I'd like to make my own too but wouldn't want to pay for it. I think if you had Microsoft word and photos you could do it like that too."

I paid around $18 for this one, but found out that my local grocery store does them too, for around $10. Will try that route next year :)

message 25: by Leianne (new)

Leianne (bookybookworm1895) | 12 comments What a fantastic idea! I am going to do one for the last 3 years! Thank you for the idea :) Hope you manage to finish the books on your list! Happy reading :)

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Okay awesome Kate. ^_^

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Starting to go through, and add all the books I read prior to 2014, to my GR shelves. Note to Self: when I decide to take a break from GR-do NOT delete account. Because I always end up coming back and then I have to re-load everything :p

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

....400 books added to my shelf 'read before 2014', only a few hundred more to go.... :P

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Starting tot think ahead to 2015...
Will be doing this challenge for sure-

Decade Challenge
(Original publication date)
1800-1809
1810-1819
1820-1829
1830-1839
1840-1849
1850-1859
1860-1869
1870-1879
1880-1889
1890-1899
1900-1909
1910-1919
1920-1929
1930-1939
1930-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-2009
2010-2015

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 22, 2014 03:35PM) (new)

~Reminder to myself~

Joining in the New to You 2015 Reading Challenge, hosted by blogger Herding Cats & Burning Soup. Going to try and do level 5, which is to read 48 books, by 48 new to me authors. And then write reviews of each book. This will tie in nicely with the Decade Challenge, since most of the books I've chosen for that challenge are by new to me authors :)

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 24, 2014 11:15AM) (new)

FYI: I just updated my GR user name to my real name, Sara Jayne, vs KateKat. That was a nickname I was going to use for a blog I was starting so I used it here too, but I've decided just use my initials for the blog. :)

message 32: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
I wondered for a minute who SaraJayne was! :)

message 33: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 800 comments Good luck with your challenges S.J.

I'm going to do a new-to-you challenge next year (new to me famous authors), should be fun!

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 24, 2014 07:14PM) (new)

Kiwi wrote: "Good luck with your challenges S.J.

I'm going to do a new-to-you challenge next year (new to me famous authors), should be fun!"

Thanks! And I like the idea of focusing on famous authors-there's quite a few that I haven't read either! Hmmm... now you have me thinking :)