Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Poison Study (Study, #1)
This topic is about Poison Study
Poison Study Discussion > Final Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay, Conquering YA One Book at a Time (new)

Kay | 79 comments Mod
What were your final thoughts on Poison Study? Will you continue with the series? Did you like the way that the story turned out?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
For those interested.. we had a Q&A with the author about this book before. Go here if you would like to read what she had to say about the book https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Kim (last edited Nov 06, 2014 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) Just finished this one and I loved it. Will definitely be continuing with the series. I really enjoy books that are able to keep my guessing. I hate when I know what's going to happen and who the "bad guy" is from the very beginning. This book had me creating theory after theory after theory in my mind. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not sure if I would have picked this one up if it hadn't been for this group.

I'm eager to read the 2nd book, but sad that Valek didn't stay with Yelena. Valek was the most interesting character to me, by far. I'm hoping that I enjoy the 2nd book as much without him. Hopefully they "meet again" pretty quickly.

One question though: Are Ari and Janco friends or more than friends? I kept thinking that Ari had a thing for Yelena, but then at the end when Janco got hurt, I kind of got the feeling that maybe they were together in a more than friendly way. Am I reading into this? Did I completely miss something that clarified this?

Angelena (drimagirl12) I wrote a longer review for this on my page so I'll try to keep this short and not ramble on like I did earlier. I just finished this book today and I completely fell in love with it. I already requested Magic Study from my library. I loved Yelena as a character and I also loved every supporting character, good and evil. Valek was swoon-worthy, but I loved how his and Yelena's relationship was a slow burn and that it didn't completely take over the story. I loved Ari and Janco so much and I hope we get to see more of them. Kim, I also noticed that there may have been something more between them than just friendship. It was kind of just slipped in there in the midst of everything else that was going on.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments I don't remember my rating but I liked it it was slow at first the second one is my favorite.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I just finished reading the book and have requested the next one.

The ending was satisfying - it wrapped up all the questions that were raised through the book and explained the purpose of the experiments Yelena was subjected to before the start of the book. In fact, the book can stand by itself. The fact that there is a second and third book just provides options for people who want to continue with the character. I wish all book series were like that.

Ashlee I actually read this book way back in Jan and have been meaning to read the second and third but haven't managed to get a hold of them yet. I absolutely loved the first one - i remember at the time I was on Summer holidays (I'm in Aus) and I stayed up until about 5am to finish it.

I really liked Yelena's character - I've come across so many YA heroines that make me cringe throughout books because of their stupidity or because of how caught up they get in pointless things; but Yelena wasn't like that - she was by no means perfect, but definitely not stupid or petty.

Emily Donnellan (fallingforya) | 34 comments I liked this book and will be continuing the series but one of my favorite aspects was the romance which I worry might be non-existent in the next book. Is there someone out there who has read the next book that can allay my fears?

message 9: by Addie (new) - added it

Addie Hodgkins ( Rather be Reading) (niallhoranunicor) | 3 comments I liked this book and will be continuing the series but one of my favorite aspects was the romance which I worry might be non-existent in the next book. Is there someone out there who has read the next book?

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Addie wrote: "I liked this book and will be continuing the series but one of my favorite aspects was the romance which I worry might be non-existent in the next book. Is there someone out there who has read the ..."

I've just started the second book. No romance, so far, since Yelena is still in love with Valek. There is a candidate, though. She may find her affections shifting...

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Grace wrote: "She may find her affections shifting... "

Then again, maybe not.