Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Shadow and Bone
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Bardugo, Leigh; Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) - Buddy Read "Revisit"- (Start date 28 December, 2014) - November 7, 2015; Revisit starts June 15, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod
This topic is open for Discussion of Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

What is a buddy read?

Synopsis

The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Gathering Dark (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Grischa Goldene Flammen (Grischa, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Les Orphelins du Royaume (Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo Sombra e Ossos (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Σκιές και Οστά (Οι Γκρίσα, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Note: This book was first read as a buddy read with NBRC in August 2013. Discussion questions are available on that thread which can be found here

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

reserved

message 3: by Skandia (new) - added it

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Yay, I'm in! I have heard so much good about this series and this Russian kind of theme could be very good if done right.

message 4: by Khaoula E. (new) - added it

Khaoula E. | 34 comments Oh great! I'm in :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'd like to join.

message 6: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3215 comments Woot! I should be able to join this one, since it's after Christmas. :)

message 7: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 840 comments I am going to try and join in this one as well! I've been wanting to read this for a while.

Erin | 351 comments I've been meaning to reread this so I can finish the series so I think i'll join in too

message 9: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity So many great books to buddy! I have to join in on this :D

Sydney | 92 comments I'm in!

message 11: by ~Melissa~ (new) - added it

~Melissa~ | 1397 comments I've been looking at this one for a while now. I will join too.

message 12: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I'm in! Had this one on my shelf for probably a year.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oh goodness, I just realised what the date of this buddy read was going to be. I might actually read the second one in the series on my own ;)

message 14: by ~Leslie~ (new) - added it

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments I have to read this one for another challenge now as well and would love to join!

message 15: by ~Melissa~ (new) - added it

~Melissa~ | 1397 comments ~Leslie~ wrote: "I have to read this one for another challenge now as well and would love to join!"

:)

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'm reading it earlier than 12/28. It's a library book and it's due well before that.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Hey Cynthia I had the same problem. If you are ready to read the second book in a couple of weeks, definitely let me know!

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'm going to read the first one on vacation. I put in a request for the 2nd book today. I'm the next on the list, so I should have it when I get back home.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Yaay! Looking forward to it.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'm reading this one today, and picking up Siege and Storm tomorrow. I'd love to see this turned into a series read.

message 21: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 351 comments I agree, a series read would be great

Cynthia (cynthiab) It's so good! I'm up to Chapter 12, and I keep thinking that (view spoiler)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished the first chapter. So far it's good but I'm not really sure what is going on.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished ch7

Still pretty much enjoying it but still don't really know what's going on.

(view spoiler)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments I'm hoping to be able to start this one today or tomorrow!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished ch 14

(view spoiler)

message 27: by ~Melissa~ (new) - added it

~Melissa~ | 1397 comments I will start this on New Year's Day - sorry still finishing up some stuff need for Dec

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished

(view spoiler)

Sydney | 92 comments I am about half way through the book. I was confused in the beginning, but some of it is starting to make sense now.

Sydney | 92 comments I just finished. I really liked the book. It was different from the other books that I have read recently. It will be interesting to see what the plots will be for the other two books.

CassieV | 1196 comments Pigletto wrote: "Finished ch7

Still pretty much enjoying it but still don't really know what's going on."

This was me through a lot of the book :). I started being able to follow better I'd say about halfway.

CassieV | 1196 comments I'm half and half on this book. I get Pigletto's problems with the book, and over all I'd say I agree. The world building just wasn't at the depth I would have hoped for. (Major spoiler -->) (view spoiler).

That being said, I also wouldn't say I didn't like this book, because I did. It sucked me in just like sugery chick-lit does. So, I gave it three stars.

Just think of it as chick-lit fantasy ;). Not quite fantasy, not quite chick-lit.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

CassieV wrote: "I'm half and half on this book. I get Pigletto's problems with the book, and over all I'd say I agree. The world building just wasn't at the depth I would have hoped for. (Major spoiler -->) [sp..."

I think that's my problem with these type of books. I like fantasy but I'm not a fan of chick-lit.

CassieV | 1196 comments Pigletto wrote: "CassieV wrote: "I'm half and half on this book. I get Pigletto's problems with the book, and over all I'd say I agree. The world building just wasn't at the depth I would have hoped for. (Major ..."

ah, well that would do it...

Anyone have plans to read the second?

Becca Baldwin 40% through, not sure of chapter (missed it on audio)
(view spoiler)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments Oh good - I'm getting ready to start this one so I'm excited someone's still reading it!

BECCAAAAAAA!!!! **waves**

Becca Baldwin eeee, hiiii :D I love how our team is like ALL OVER every BR I ever look at XD hahaa

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments Like a bunch of floozies, we really get around!! Haha!

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments I'm half way through Chapter 5 and they (view spoiler)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments By looking through this thread, it looks like people are all over the board on this one!

Becca Baldwin In the middle of Ch. 14 -
(view spoiler)

Becca Baldwin Ch 16 -
(view spoiler)

message 43: by K~Terror (last edited Jan 07, 2015 03:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments Becca wrote: "In the middle of Ch. 14 -
[spoilers removed]"

So I cheated just a little and looked at your spoiler since I'm almost to the end of Chapter 13. (Oops!)

(view spoiler)

I'm now officially on Chapter 14!

Becca Baldwin Kristin ~ Experiment in Terror Junkie wrote:
Ch. 14

(view spoiler)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments Becca wrote: "Kristin ~ Experiment in Terror Junkie wrote:
Ch. 14

I felt the same way about ..."

HaHa! I promise I won't! In fact, I realized the audio is actually a chapter behind, so my Chapter 14 was really Chapter 13.. but I'm getting there slowly but surely!

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments Becca wrote: "Ch 16 -
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments Chapter 21

(view spoiler)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments CassieV wrote: "Pigletto wrote: "CassieV wrote: "I'm half and half on this book. I get Pigletto's problems with the book, and over all I'd say I agree. The world building just wasn't at the depth I would have ho..."

I have the second book and would love to buddy read it if anyone is interested!

message 49: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

BUDDY READ REVISIT! BUDDY READ REVISIT! BUDDY READ REVISIT!

This topic is open for Discussion of Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Start date: November 7th, 2015

What is a buddy read?

Synopsis
The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Gathering Dark (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Goldene Flammen (Grischa, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Les Orphelins du Royaume (Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo Sombra e Ossos (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Σκιές και Οστά (Οι Γκρίσα, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Note: This book was first read as a buddy read with NBRC in August 2013. Discussion questions are available on that thread which can be found here

message 50: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments I can't wait to start this book.

« previous 1 3