12 Books - Author Led Business Book Group discussion

Unlocking Potential: 7 Coaching Skills That Transform Individuals, Teams,  Organizations
This topic is about Unlocking Potential
Book Discussions > Unlocking Potential - November 2014

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jacob (paulsen) | 245 comments This is our official discussion thread for November 2014

message 2: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Green | 7 comments My early take on the book being about halfway through is that A) I love the specifics that the author offers for coaching in terms of specific guidance with questions to lead through conversations with the one being coached, and B) the areas that are covered are so expansive that I am sometimes getting lost wondering if the target coaching audience is my directs, my organization, or myself? I'd like to see some more preface as to the specific audience best suited for each set of coaching guidance.

message 3: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Green | 7 comments Continuing into the book my most recent thoughts is that the information and tips in here are too expansive for a regular book. I wish it was in an app format complete with templates, search, and even a contact the author button for questions and correspondence.

A high-level outline of the information would also be very useful.

Jacob (paulsen) | 245 comments I've just finished the section about treating people as assets. I think this is a very rare skill and cultural attribute of today's business. I love the way that Michael so carefully talked about identifying, training, growing and keeping company talent.

Louis Prosperi (louprosperi) | 9 comments I'm about half-way through the book, and am really enjoying it. It combines useful theory with practical advice on how to develop the skill needed to be an effective coach.

message 6: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Green | 7 comments There is much that I kike about this book. If there is ine complaint is that it could actually be 2-3 books as there is much weighty information in it. My challenge with these types of books is that I don't want it to be a splash or the ripples spreads out across the water and then disappears forever. I want the content of the book to be a wave that changes the way I work and affect results in my organization. Knowing which information I need to pull out at what time is the key challenge I believe.

Casey Wheeler (caseywheeler) Stephen wrote: "There is much that I kike about this book. If there is ine complaint is that it could actually be 2-3 books as there is much weighty information in it. My challenge with these types of books is tha..."

I recommend reading the books that he mentions in the first three chapters for more indepth treatment in each subject area. I have found them to be valuable. In addition, for Chapter 4, I recommend reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.

Casey Wheeler (caseywheeler) Just started and I am already a quarter through the book. So, far it is a good summary of the subject of coaching.

Louis Prosperi (louprosperi) | 9 comments I finished this book this morning and just posted my review on Amazon and here on GoodReads:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Green | 7 comments Great review. Reflects how I feel about the book in many more words than I was willing to type!

Jacob (paulsen) | 245 comments Thanks for sharing Joseph and Lou. I'm looking forward to our call tomorrow!