Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > oct 2014 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1181 comments A good month of reading and listening. Here are my October reads:

Top Reads

The Reckoning by Rennie Airth The Reckoning
Rennie Airth
I was pleasantly surprised that another John Madden historical mystery had been published and was glad that this book met the high standards of the previous books in the series.

Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon Remnant Population
Elizabeth Moon
A really good science fiction novel of first contact that features a rather unlikely heroine. Ofelia is an older woman who, when her space colony fails, decides to stay on the planet by herself. Both thought provoking and entertaining, I listened to the audio version which was read by the very capable Vanessa Hart.

Good Reads

Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4) by Anne George Murder Makes Waves
Anne George
The Southern Sisters decide a vacation is in order and visit the Redneck Riviera but, as usual, manage to come across various dead bodies. The sisters are very likable and this is one of my favorite series on audio since the narration by Ruth Ann Phimister is so good.

The Sun King by David Ignatius The Sun King
David Ignatius
A novel of power, money, journalism, and romance set in Washington D.C. during the late nineties. The author usually specializes in spies and thrillers that deal with the the Middle East but this was a nice change of pace and well worth reading.

Invisible Murder (Nina Borg, #2) by Lene Kaaberbøl Invisible Murder
Lene Kaaberbøl&Agnete Friis
Nurse Nina Borg gets caught up in an international incident while trying to provide a bit of medical care to some Gypsy illegals. More of an issue book with a bit of suspense and violence and though Nina is not the most likable character I do admire her willingness to always try and help the less fortunate.

House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5) by Mike Lawson House Justice
Mike Lawson
Another fine entry in this series featuring Joe DeMarco the fixer for the Speaker of the House. The plot in this book was fairly complex with the CIA playing a major role but the pacing never faltered and I enjoyed the narration of Joe Barrett on the audio version.

Whack A Mole A John Ceepak Mystery (Ceepak, #3) by Chris Grabenstein Whack A Mole: A John Ceepak Mystery
Chris Grabenstein
While not my favorite kind of plot, this was an entertaining audio. I really like the characters, the setting on the Jersey shore is interesting, and the narration by Jeff Woodman is top notch.

Disappointing

The Big Bamboo by Tim Dorsey The Big Bamboo
Tim Dorsey
While I loved the first three books in this series this is the second in a row that was just barely OK. Serge is still his manic self but the plot was even less coherent than usual and the whole Hollywood setting just set my teeth on edge. The narration of the audio by the always good George Wilson was the only reason I finished.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Good month, Sandi!
I love Anne George's Southern Sisters too and need to lookup the Elizabeth Moon audio book.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Solid month with nice variety.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good Month Sandi

message 5: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3470 comments my sister loved the grabenstein series she keeps telling me to read it. I have the first book and haven't gotten to it yet.