Belles of the South discussion

Books > Gone With the Wind

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Thought I would add the book topic Gone With the Wind where those of you have already read this or for those who are just starting this classic can share their thoughts and discuss.

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ Laurie wrote: "Thought I would add the book topic Gone With the Wind where those of you have already read this or for those who are just starting this classic can share their thoughts and discuss."

I need to read this one again probably but when I do the neverending quiz questions for it I get about 95% correct so not too bad.

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby | 86 comments Mod
Oh, I forgot we already had a GWTW discussion going! I'm still reading, and so far I like it. I also watched the movie. Boy, am I mad at Scarlett, though! I admire her will to survive, but I can't stand how she hates Melanie, and I wish she wouldn't be so stuck on Ashley.

message 4: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Scarlett was absolutely horrid I agree - but she's so honest about her ugliness which I always found to be hilarious. I mean, how many books from that era had such a flawed human as Scarlett?
In Scarlett's eyes Melanie stole her true love Ashley away from her and she can't help but hate her for doing that.

I often thought if Mitchell had told the story from saintly Melanie's POV would the book have been so popular?

Would love to hear your opinions as you read Abby :D

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Oh, Scarlett was an admirable character. She was a strong woman who spoke her mind as we say in the south. Laurie, I share your thoughts that if it wasn't for her personality, the book would not have been popular. I've often thought in my younger days, I would have enjoyed playing her part in the movie! :)

message 6: by ``Laurie (last edited May 30, 2016 04:25PM) (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Wasn't Vivian Leigh just perfect as Scarlett? I also found Scarlett admirable Jo, and many European women after WW2 did as well when trying to put their lives back together after losing everything.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Vivian Leigh was perfect for the role and so was that handsome sexpot Clarke Gable with his role - oooh Rhett

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo Vivian Leigh was perfect for the role and so was that handsome sexpot Clarke Gable with his role - oooh Rhett