Read 100+ Books in 2014 discussion

November's challenge

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (last edited Nov 08, 2014 05:55PM) (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Didn't get as much reading done as I hoped. I was at two books conferences within 3 weeks of each other. New employees were hired at work and I get to train them. It's been a busy, busy month. But I hope this month is better.

1. Read a book whose title beginning with W.
2. Read a book whose author's name begins with W.
3. Read a middle grade book.
4. Read a book about WWI for Armistice Day.
5. Read a book about gratitude.
6. Read a cozy myster.
7. Read a book about food.
8. Read a book about clothes.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Sheila (last edited Nov 30, 2014 05:54PM) (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Here's my November reading. I hope I do better this month.

4/9 books, 9 book

3. Read a middle grade book--Jake and the Giant by E. G. Foley--finished 11/8/14.
6. Read a cozy mystery--The Legend of Sleepy Harlow by Kylie Logan--finished 11/11/14.
7. Read a book about food--Sous Chef by Michael Gibney--finished 11/15/14.
8. Read a book clothes.
9. Your choice--Phantom Mischief by Jennifer LaRose--finished 11/1/14.

Bonus reads:
Turned Around by Allyson Simonian--finished 11/5/14
Hot for You by Kris Peterson--finished 11/16/14
The Dark Portal by E. G. Foley--finished 11/26/14
Jake & the Gingerbread Wars by E. G. Foley--finished 11/29/14
Rise of Allies by E. G. Foley--finished 11/30/14

message 3: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Holiday are coming up soon and getting my Wish List" started. Anyhow, here's my November list:
6. Read a cozy mystery.
"Shattered" by Michael Robotham - Book 3 of the Joe O'Laughlin series
8. Read a book clothes.
9. Your choice.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Murder at Longbourn (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery #1) by Tracy Kiely -Tracy Kiely 11-1-14
This was a fun and exciting cozy mystery. I loved the characters and all the twists and turns of the plot. This is another new favorite for the year.

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert -Alan Brennert 11-3-14
This was a bittersweet historical novel about a young girl with Hansen's disease (modern-day leprosy) growing up in a leper colony on Moloka'i, Hawaii. She lives a long time separate from her birth family, losing many friends and adopted "family" along the way including her husband. During a long period of remission, she was able to leave the colony and reunite with her sister and meet her daughter whom she'd legally had to give up for adoption and her daughter's family.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford -Jamie Ford 11-5-14
This was a brilliant novel switching back-and-forth between WWII era and 1986 showing the coming-of-age of a Chinese teenage boy whose best friend and first girlfriend is a Japanese girl. The author did a good job of showing how awful the Japanese internment really was and created some truly interesting characters.

Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins -Christine Blevins 11-6-14
This was a well-written and entertaining historical novel about a Scottish midwife who comes to America as an indentured servant. Her story is full of trials as well as treats as she comes to know true love and to tame the hunter who had feared settling down.

message 5: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Busy month already for school so I'm not getting as much reading done. But with the holidays coming up and a few camping trip scheduled I'll back on tract!

6. Read a cozy mystery.
"Hostage" by Robert Crais
8. Read a book clothes.
9. Your choice.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen -Julie Klassen 11-7-14
I really enjoy Julie Klassen's writing style, and every novel I've read by her has been well written with truly interesting characters and a hint of suspense along with its clean romance. The only thing I had an issue with in this novel is the fact that the characters were not portrayed as clearly Christian or as true seekers as has been the case with the other novels I've read by Klassen. It gets added to my almost-favorites list at any rate; it was a great read.

The Best Yes Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands by Lysa TerKeurst -Lysa Terkheurst
My schedule isn't overflowing, and I'm more likely to say "no" than to ever say "yes" to much of anything, but this book was brilliant. There were a lot of really insightful points, and I definitely have realized that I need to start giving my yes, my "best yes" more frequently.

No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club Diary of a Sixtieth Year by Virginia Ironside -Virginia Ironside 11-11-14
This was an amusing look into the fictionalized diary of the 60th year of a British woman. Because I'm from a different culture, some of the jokes slid right past me, but it was amusing nonetheless.

Bitter River (Bell Elkins #2) by Julia Keller -Julia Keller 11-13-14
This was a well-written and very entertaining mystery. The plot had so many twists and surprises, and the characters were well done. Plus, I had no idea it was the second in a series until now, which is another sign of a very good book.

message 7: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Busy month already for school so I'm not getting as much reading done. But with the holidays coming up and a few camping trip scheduled I'll back on tract!

6. Read a cozy mystery.
8. Read a book clothes.
9. Your choice.
"Any Other Name" by Craig Johnson

message 8: by Chuck (last edited Nov 14, 2014 05:25AM) (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Finished reading "Hostage" by Robert Crais, 4/5 stars.

Now reading Book 10 of the Sheriff Walt Longmire series, "Any Other Name" by Craig Johnson.

"Sheriff Walt Longmire had already rounded up a sizable posse of devoted readers when the A&E television series Longmire sent the Wyoming lawman’s popularity skyrocketing. Now, with three consecutive New York Times bestsellers to his name and the second season of Longmire reaching an average of 5.4 million viewers per episode, Craig Johnson is reaching a fan base that is both fiercely loyal and ever growing.

In Any Other Name, Walt is sinking into high-plains winter discontent when his former boss, Lucian Conally, asks him to take on a mercy case in an adjacent county. Detective Gerald Holman is dead and Lucian wants to know what drove his old friend to take his own life. With the clock ticking on the birth of his first grandchild, Walt learns that the by-the-book detective might have suppressed evidence concerning three missing women. Digging deeper, Walt uncovers an incriminating secret so dark that it threatens to claim other lives even before the sheriff can serve justice—Wyoming style."

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So my choice for this month was The Map of Time. It was a good sci fi book featuring H. G. Wells. I liked how they used time travel as the basis for the adventure and intertwined the characters. Well written and fun story. Next up is Woodsburner by John Pipkin. Look forward to reading that.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Out of Control (Kincaid Brides, #1) by Mary Connealy -Mary Connealy 11-14-14
This was a fun historical Christian romance. I liked the characters, and the plot was interesting. It was well-written, and I enjoyed it.

message 11: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Can't believe that Thanksgiving is just a few days away. Where have the weeks gone?

6. Read a cozy mystery.
8. Read a book clothes.
9. Your choice.
"Any Other Name" by Craig Johnson
"Police" by Jo Nesbo

message 12: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Now reading "Police" by Jo Nesbo, the 10th book in the Detective Harry Hole series.

"The police urgently need Harry Hole . . . A killer is stalking Oslo's streets. Police officers are being slain at the scenes of crimes they once investigated but failed to solve. The murders are brutal, the media reaction hysterical.

But this time, Harry can't help . . . For years, detective Harry Hole has been at the center of every major criminal investigation in Oslo. His dedication to his job and his brilliant insights have saved the lives of countless people. But now, with those he loves most facing terrible danger, Harry is not in a position to protect anyone."

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Thunder Creek (Thunder Creek #1) by Jill Gregory -Jill Gregory 11-17-14
I really enjoyed this mystery/suspense/romance novel. It was well written, and the characters were interesting and well drawn. It was a fun, twisting plot, and I really liked it a lot.

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So I finished "Woodsburner" by John Pipkin. It is a fictional version of when Henry David Thoreau burned down the woods near Concord. It had some interesting characters and their reactions to the fire and its aftermath made for a good story. Well written novel. Next up "Blue Christmas". Time to start a little holiday reading. Have a great Thanksgiving everybody.

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Chuck wrote: "Now reading "Police" by Jo Nesbo, the 10th book in the Detective Harry Hole series.

"The police urgently need Harry Hole . . . A killer is stalking Oslo's streets. Police officers are being slain ..."

How is Jo Nesbo's writing? I've been wanting to try this series.

message 16: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Sheila wrote: "Chuck wrote: "Now reading "Police" by Jo Nesbo, the 10th book in the Detective Harry Hole series.

"The police urgently need Harry Hole . . . A killer is stalking Oslo's streets. Police officers ar..."

I really enjoy this series. Jo Nesbo is on the top of my list of mystery/suspense writers along with Michael Connelly, Karin Slaughter, T. Jefferson Parker and Richard Price.

The 1st "Inspector Harry Hole" story is "The Bat."

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Ellis Island (Ellis Island, #1) by Kate Kerrigan -Kate Kerrigan 11-21-14
This was an interesting and entertaining historical novel about a young woman’s coming-of-age story with plot elements about her family relationships, her religious upbringing and spiritual development, her romance and marriage, her struggles with poverty, her emigration to America, her gradual assimilation into American culture, and her eventual return to Ireland and her waiting husband. It was written well with great character development. I really enjoyed the novel.

A Matter of Trust (Mia Quinn, #1) by Lis Wiehl -Lis Wiehl 11-23-14
This was a well-written and entertaining mystery novel with a subtle Christian undertone. I really enjoyed the characters and the suspenseful plot. I can’t wait to read more of the series.

A Killing in the Hills (Bell Elkins, #1) by Julia Keller -Julia Keller 11-27-14
This was the first of the Bell Elkins mystery novels. Having already read and truly enjoyed the second of the series, Bitter River, I wanted to read this one as well. My high expectations were fulfilled: the writing style was just as informative and intense, the characters were just as real and intriguing, and the plot was just as suspenseful and entertaining full of multiple twists and turns. I really enjoyed the novel, another new favorite on my list.

Summer of the Dead (Bell Elkins, #3) by Julia Keller -Julia Keller 11-30-14
This was the third of the Bell Elkins mystery novels. Having already read and truly enjoyed the second of the series, Bitter River, and the first of the series, A Killing in the Hills, I wanted to read this one as well. My high expectations were fulfilled: the writing style was just as informative and intense, the characters were just as real and intriguing, and the plot was just as suspenseful and entertaining full of multiple twists and turns. I really enjoyed the novel, another new favorite on my list.

message 18: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Ellis Island (Ellis Island, #1) by Kate Kerrigan-Kate Kerrigan 11-21-14
This was an interesting and entertaining historical novel about a young woman’s coming-of-age story with plot elements about her family rela..."

The Bell Elkins series sounds good. I'll have to give it a try.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel November's challenge:
1. Read a book whose title beginning with W. N/A
2. Read a book whose author's name begins with W. A Matter of Trust-Lis Wiehl 11-23-14
3. Read a middle grade book. N/A
4. Read a book about WWI for Armistice Day. N/A
5. Read a book about gratitude. The Best Yes: Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands-Lysa TerKeurst (while gratitude isn't the main focus, the subject does appear) 11-8-14
6. Read a cozy mystery. Murder at Longbourn-Tracy Kiely 11-1-14
7. Read a book about food. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet-Jamie Ford (surprisingly, there is a lot about serving food) 11-5-14
8. Read a book about clothes. Ellis Island-Kate Kerrigan 11-21-14
9. Your choice. Moloka'i-Alan Brennert 11-3-14, Midwife of the Blue Ridge-Christine Blevins 11-6-14, The Girl in the Gatehouse-Julie Klassen 11-7-14, No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club: Diary of a Sixtieth Year-Virginia Ironside 11-11-14, Bitter River-Julia Keller 11-13-14, Out of Control-Mary Connealy 11-14-14, Thunder Creek-Jill Gregory 11-17-14, A Killing in the Hills-Julia Keller 11-27-14, Summer of the Dead-Julia Keller 11-30-14