Struggling Writers discussion

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments The wonderful whirlwind of NaNo 2014 has begun and writers across the land are placing word by word into place, how many do you have so far? I plan to keep a sort of scoreboard running here with word counts so we can help motivate each other to push towards the finish line. I know right now that some of you are going to blow us away with your counts, but the idea behind this is to motivate and congratulate. If you managed to write triple your set goal for today, I want to hear about it! If you didn't seem to be able to get even one measly word down, I want to hear about it!

message 2: by Irene (last edited Nov 11, 2014 10:38AM) (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Word Counts (Last updated Nov 1st at 2:03 EST)

Tony- 25,771
Carl- 20,418
Emma- 15,340
Shaunna- 11, 019
Trysh- 11,227
Pamela Winn- 10, 238
A.L.- 4,581

message 3: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Winn (goodreadscompswinn) | 10 comments November 2nd, my word count just hit 10,238! Having fun. 1st time doing this even though I have 19 books out! Pamela Winn (P.S. Winn)

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) 4,688!!!

message 5: by A.L. (new)

A.L. | 3 comments Nov. 3-- 4581

message 6: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments I still have this evening to meet my daily quota, but today has been hectic.

5,166 :D

message 7: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Looks like everyone is on track! It sounds like you have had lots of time to write Pamela, I haven't been as lucky and am a bit behind...

message 8: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments 7,247 Went to a write in tonight. :)

message 9: by Tony (new)

Tony Spencer | 18 comments I've got a write-in tonight at the local library. I was working on the first Saturday so couldn't make it, so this'll the first one. Last year I found them very productive. I joined a writing group shortly after, on the strength of it. Although we meet infrequently, I always find them worthwhile. My word count now up to 13668, and come to a natural break. Once I catch up with social mail and breakfast, I'll crack on with the next two sections before my wife wakes up (and bosses me around). :)

message 10: by Shaunna McLaren (new)

Shaunna McLaren (shaunnareads) I'm sitting at 11,019 words so far - but I was naughty yesterday and didn't write anything, and I'm only just sitting down to write now, at 8.37pm. Oops!

message 11: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments 11,227 as of tonight. I've been slacking a bit during the day, and not really writing until late. I'm hoping I get a good groove/schedule worked out, I'd hate to fall behind at this point.

message 12: by Tara ♪ (new)

Tara ♪ | 445 comments I'm behind; I haven't had much writing time because my play directors at school have been adding rehearsals. The real problem, though, is that I really don't like what I'm working on. I'm thinking that it's early enough in the game to throw it out and start over (I have an idea that I'm really excited about and have actually planned a little but set aside) but I'm not sure. Opinions?

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Start over :) that's fine!! On the first day I had like 2000 words but I started all over again.

Now I have about 15,340.

message 14: by Tara ♪ (new)

Tara ♪ | 445 comments Thanks, Emma! I was kind of opposed to trashing something but I think what I have really needs some editing to get the rest of it to work, and I don't really have time to do that.

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) The goal of NaNoWriMo is just to write, right? techinically you could write the worst $#%¥ ever and reach 50,000 and win and then go back and make it amazing!!

message 16: by Carl (last edited Nov 10, 2014 02:58PM) (new)

Carl 20,418! I'm pretty pleased with that. Having written nothing over the weekend, I managed to find over 7000 words today to bring me back on track.

message 17: by Tony (new)

Tony Spencer | 18 comments Well done, Carl. I have been pottering about all day, added about 500 to bring the total up to 25771.

message 18: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Wow! You guys have all been doing great! I have been super busy but I will get the scoreboard updated soon.

@Emma: Yes, the point is to write; however, you are cheating yourself in the end if you aren't actually trying to put that towards a novel. The point of NaNo is to show you that you can write 50,000 words that are coherently put together. They may not be the best, but they are something you can easily work with :)

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) 44,054!!!!!!!!!
I am going to try to finish tonight!

message 20: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Ingrid | 932 comments Mod
Great for you, Emma!

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Thank you!!

message 22: by Tony (new)

Tony Spencer | 18 comments On 42724, so on target to finish before the month end

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) 49241! I'm going to finish tonight (for real)!!!

message 24: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments I'm so far behind, but slowly catching up.... I'm at 34k now, but am working on finishing the 50k before Thanksgiving...

message 25: by Tony (new)

Tony Spencer | 18 comments 44000 now, hoping for a push tonight to reduce finishing post to less than 5000 away.

message 26: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments This is fabulous guys, I'm proud of you all! I am not going to be able to finish this year but it has been fun :)

message 27: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) I'm done! I finished last night!

message 28: by S. (new)

S. Aksah | 25 comments Great! All the best guys!

message 29: by Tony (new)

Tony Spencer | 18 comments Well done, Emma. Take a bow.

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Thank you *bows*.

message 31: by Carl (new)

Carl Wow, well done for finishing so far in advance!

I have really struggled this week but am sitting on 44,039, which isn't bad. But I only have three evening free to write this week. It's going to be tight!