Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's October Reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (last edited Nov 01, 2014 10:31AM) (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments 1.Runner, Thomas Perry. A change in the focus of the book dropped my rating on this one. 3Plus
2. Moon Light Mile, Dennis Lehane. Crazy guy with hot girl friend turns into a married man with a kid who worries about paying his health insurance. Then he decides to quit being a P.I. Talk about depressing. Just shoot me. 4
3. No Way Back, Mathew Klein. Interesting twists, but I really didn't understand why they were necessary. Ignoring that, wasn't a bad story. 4Minus
4. Strangers on the Beach, Josh Pahigian. Fiction about tourist beach town in Maine, several people whose lives are affected by events, and the consequences of their actions. 4
5. Deadline, John Sandford. Vrgil investigates a couple of cases at the same time with his usual interesting results. 4Plus
6. The Spellmans Strike Again. Comic relief. 4
7. Shining Girls, Lauren Beukes. Serial killer moves back and forth in time until one victim survives. Victim and a sports reporter colleague try to track down the killer. Interesting combination of genres. Very graphic at times. I will definitely read her new one which is out now. 4Plus

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Dan: Looks like a good list. I remember being a bit surprised by Patrick's new family-man attitude in Moonlight Mile too. Still love the characters and the book though. I need to look up the Lauren Beukes, The Shining Girls it looks intriguing and as for the Spellmans, comic relief is often a nice treat.

message 3: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments Good month. I'm looking forward to the new Virgil book. Hope it's ready when we get back home.

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Ann, I have Beukes new one, Broken Monsters, coming up soon. It also has a paranormal mix along with the m/t plot. While Shining Girls was set in Chicago, Broken Monsters is set in Detroit - unusual choices since Beukes lives in South Africa. She also won the Arthur C. Clark award for Zoo City.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Pretty good month!!

message 6: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Oh! Gotta add Moon Light Mile to my list!

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3570 comments LizH wrote: "Oh! Gotta add Moon Light Mile to my list!"

oh yes you do!

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments LOL...I haven't read any of the Patrick/Angela books yet - intrigued with the great rating despite your LOL comment!

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Very entertaining. Lots of backstory and character development, so RIO is advised.