FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Group Reads > I Capture the Castle group discussion (Nov '14)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 1256 comments Mod
This comes from the female authors on the BBC's 100 Books to Read Before You Die list. I know I read this as a teenager, but unfortunately I remember absolutely nothing about it, so I'm looking forward to reading it again. Has anybody else read this before?

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat | 145 comments I read it about ten years ago, I think, and also saw the film on DVD. I remember the film pretty well, but the MC of the novel was more deeply caught up by obsessive love and fantasy, I think, than the character in the film, which gave it a somewhat different feel. I remember the novel as tremendously gripping.

message 3: by Alexa (new)

Someone once told me that this was one of the most pivotal books of her adolescence, which made me even more embarrassed that I couldn't recall any details!

message 4: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 1 comments Alexa wrote: "Someone once told me that this was one of the most pivotal books of her adolescence, which made me even more embarrassed that I couldn't recall any details!"

Whenever women I talk about how much they loved Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret as girls all I can think about is how much I hated that book as an 11 year-old reader.

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat | 145 comments Different books resonate with different readers. I regret to say I Capture the Castle resonated with me when I read it in my fifties...

message 6: by Alexa (new)

Kat wrote: "I regret to say..."

No, the joy of having a book resonate with you, at any age, is so glorious! I cry for more books that really grab me! (Although it can be really awkward when everyone around you is raving over a book you hated - do you tell them what you really thought or do you just smile weakly?)

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I'm looking forward to FINALLY reading this!

message 8: by Alexa (new)

Yes, I'm thinking this will be a fun read!

message 9: by Alexa (new)

I love this opening paragraph:

"I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.... I can't say that I am really comfortable.... I have found that sitting in a place where you have never sat before can be inspiring - I wrote my very best poem while sitting on the hen-house. Though even that isn't a very good poem. I have decided my poetry is so bad that I mustn't write any more of it."

This is so quirkily funny and touching! I love the conversation between the sisters about whether they would rather be living in a Jane Austen novel or a Charlotte Bronte one. Me, while I love reading both, wouldn't want to be living in either one!

message 10: by Alexa (new)

Kat wrote: "I read it about ten years ago, I think, and also saw the film on DVD. I remember the film pretty well, but the MC of the novel was more deeply caught up by obsessive love and fantasy, I think, than..."

Kat, that really surprises me, because I'm about at the half-way point now, and I haven't seen any obsessive love or fantasy yet! Rather I'm finding more of a coming-of-age story, with a young narrator exploring her ability to observe and record the world around her as she learns and grows into herself. I'm really touched and amused by it! I can see how this novel might meet many folks' definition of a "comfort read."

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat | 145 comments I agree that it's a coming-of-age story. But I'm pretty sure it will include some obsessive love and fantasy before the end of the novel. Though I suppose it's always possible that I'm mixing it up with something else.

message 12: by Alexa (new)

I just finished it and I loved every minute of it! I would truly call this an old-fashioned comfort read. Still have to disagree with your characterization though Kat; various folks fell in love with various others, but I wouldn't have used the word "obsessive" to characterize any of it. Rather touching and sweet and sometimes foolish and all very human though. Fantasy, no, but perhaps active creative imagination? A potential writer trying out her skills? This was yummy, and I just want to fall right back into it! This is just the sort of book I can see my grandmother giving me, along with meatloaf and mashed potatoes and lemon cake. I'm homesick just remembering!

message 13: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I'm just at the halfway point, but am absolutely loving the voice of Cassandra! I already don't want it to end.

message 14: by Alexa (new)

Yes! Isn't she absolutely wonderful!

message 15: by Alexa (new)

Stephanie, I'm so glad to see you loved it as much (even more than) I did! Any more thoughts?

message 16: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I loved everything about this book. Everything. I'm obsessed. The narration was engaging, honest and really believable, and I felt the characters were well developed - perhaps some more than others, I never felt we really got to know Neil, but the others were pretty vivid.

And I loved (view spoiler)

message 17: by Alexa (new)

I just wanted to fall into the world she created and never, never have to leave. So much of her inner life rang so true to me - and you're right Stephanie, I thought the ending was absolutely perfect!

message 18: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I totally hear you about never wanting to leave her world. I really didn't want the book to end!! To prolong the feeling I've downloaded the movie - it has the super hunk that played Riley Finn on Buffy in it as Neil. So. Yeah. I'll probably just watch it on repeat all winter.

message 19: by Alexa (new)

He he! I wonder if you'll get the same vibes from it that Kat did? I loved the book so much that I would be afraid to watch the movie, as in how could anything be as good!