Ravelry Knitters discussion

The Amazing Thing About the Way It Goes: Stories of Tidiness, Self-Esteem and Other Things I Gave Up On
Group Reading > November group read - The Amazing Thing About the Way It Goes

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's latest book has won the poll for our November read. I'm hoping this one lives up to all her others, which I have have enjoyed.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
I see this book is in the opening round for the Goodreads Choice humour category. Voting ends on Saturday.

message 3: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
I'll have to download this, it's the firs tbok by her that my library doesnt have. Budget cuts?
That said, I'm so glad she was nominated in the Goodreads awards. I've often thought she is a terrific essayist, and shouldn't be ignored because she writes about knitting.

message 4: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Britney wrote: "Just bought a copy for my kindle today. I really enjoyed her other books and am excited to see how this one goes!"

Britney...was that a pun? ;)

Peggy | 4 comments Loved all her other books and have bought each one. Looking forward to ordering this one. I haven't been buying any books - I use the library - but I do buy hers and those of Anne Lamott because they are definitely re-readable.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 02, 2014 02:10PM) (new)

I'm still waiting for my copy from the library. I'm always so late in starting these reads. I guess that makes me a slow reader? :)

Update: I've read it. I'm not crazy about her writing but I do like her descriptions of raising children as being what in other places would be considered forms of torture. So true and very funny.

message 7: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
She made me lau ht loud with the bicycle essay, and as angry as it felt at the time, I appreciated her letter to the jerk who said something to her at the tender age of sixteen that ruined her self esteem for a while. I thought it did a great job of showing the difference between how we value ourselves as teenagers and how we value ourselves as adults. I'm roughly the author's age- my forties, and I amSO happy with myself now. I think Pearl-McPhee does a nice job of writing about the many ups and downs of life, and I'm glad that her book got some recognition.