The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Need a recommendation for a lighthearted mystery read

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8557 comments Mod
I'm currently working on choosing the last book for my book group and I thought a lighthearted mystery novel would be a great way to end the year. I put these poor women through a lot of tough reads so it would be nice to go out with something funny. Any help would be appreciated!

message 2: by Jannene (last edited Nov 01, 2014 07:19AM) (new)

Jannene | 771 comments I like the Jack Daniels series. They are light and I always laugh reading them. There isn't this romantic triangle like in a lot of cozy reads where the woman has two men.
Whiskey Sour is the first one in the series.

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I must sound like a broken record, but Sue Grafton's novels fit the image ( some are better than others).

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters starts off a wonderful series.

Burglars Can't Be Choosers by Lawrence Block is another fun series.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard (ricoh) | 106 comments Murder on Page One is a good read with wry humour

message 6: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5392 comments Mod
Any of the MC Beaton Agatha Raisin books would be good, Nancy.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Okay! Here ya go. I just finished this one and lsughed myself silly. Check out The National Truth. It just came out. The National Truth A Sensational Tabloid Thriller by Steve Trotter

message 8: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35311 comments Another light one, relatively, is Stuart Kaminski's Toby Peters series. Nicola Upson's series featuring Josephine Tey. Peter S. Fischer's Hollywood Murder Mysteries series - I read the second book first - We Don't Need No Stinking Badges where a mystery takes place on the set of the filming of The Treasure of Sierra Madre.

message 9: by Feliks (last edited Nov 03, 2014 10:50AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) A Dime to Dance By
The Two Dude Defense
Deadfall (made into movie, 'Peeper' starring Michael Caine and Natalie Wood)
Compromising Positions (made into movie starring Susan Sarandon, Raoul Julia)
Someone is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe (movie starring George Segal, Jacqueline Bissett)

message 10: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann

Humorous and creative. The sheep are the detectives.

message 11: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna wrote: "Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann

Humorous and creative. The sheep are the detectives."

I've not heard of that one, Donna -- just ordered it from paperback swap.

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Nov 04, 2014 10:05AM) (new)

Feliks wrote: "A Dime to Dance By
The Two Dude Defense
Deadfall (made into movie, 'Peeper' starring Michael Caine and Natalie Wood)

I saw the movie
Compromising Positions but have never read the book. Ordered!

message 13: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Bravo. I sure miss Raoul Julia. Snif.

message 14: by Feliks (last edited Nov 04, 2014 10:11AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I'll add another rec while I'm at it:
Metzger's Dog
one of the very few examples of espionage + crime-noir, *plus comedy*. You wouldn't think someone could pull it off, but he does. Also great if you like cats.

Oh and then there's the whole line of books from Dick Francis, charming mysteries set in the world of horse racing. Great way to learn about horses.

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Jim wrote: "Okay! Here ya go. I just finished this one and lsughed myself silly. Check out The National Truth. It just came out. The National Truth A Sensational Tabloid Thriller by Steve Trotter"

Maybe not for the group, but I'd definitely read it.

message 16: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Michele wrote: "Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters starts off a wonderful series.

Burglars Can't Be Choosers by Lawrence Block is another fun s..."

I loved the Amelia Peabody books until Ramses grew older, then I lost interest. But thanks!

message 17: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Excellent recommendations, everyone! Feel free to keep them coming. And thank you all.

message 18: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nancy wrote: "Michele wrote: "Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters starts off a wonderful series.

Burglars Can't Be Choosers by Lawrence Block ..."

I adore Elizabeth Peters! I read that book and all of her books.

message 19: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Janet Evanovitch is popular, but I am not a big fan. I guess it has to do with my feeling that she began after Grafton and Scottoline. Too similar and somewhat far fetched ( bounty hunter in Trenton and a heavy Polish hand); Scottoline writes about Philadelphia Italians, and yes, she is very accurate. I live close to both Philadelphia and Trenton.

message 20: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Any of the Donna Leon books, featuring the charming Italian detective Brunetti with his delightful wife and of course Venice. The crime is on the side, but keeps you guessing.

message 21: by Feliks (last edited Nov 05, 2014 06:18PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) There's also the Moses Wine series. 'The Big Fix' features this California detective who was a former 1960s activist. Its a gentle and sardonic style of mystery. 4-5 books; one of which became a nicely done movie with Richard Dreyfus and John Lithgow.

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 61 comments Lost Cause (A Daisy Dunlop Mystery #1) by J.L. Simpson
Very funny British mystery, debut of series. I gave it five stars.

message 23: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 61 comments Nancy wrote: "Michele wrote: "Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters starts off a wonderful series.

Burglars Can't Be Choosers by Lawrence Block ..."

Elizabeth Peters' Die for Love is quite amusing. Murder at a romance authors' conference.
Die for Love (Jacqueline Kirby, #3) by Elizabeth Peters

message 24: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Elizabeth Peters is great, and I should go back and revisit her again.

message 25: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I am trying so hard to recall the name of a writer who wrote light, gothic-type mysteries. The setting was always Cornwall. Relatively modern day, too, and the writer's first name was Jennie. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

message 26: by Marian (new)

Marian Jennifer Blake maybe?

message 27: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments No, her first name was Jennie.

message 28: by Marian (new)

Marian Would it be Jennie Nimmo?

message 29: by Ishita (new)

Ishita | 186 comments Jennie Bently?

message 30: by Ishita (new)

Ishita | 186 comments Jennie Bently?

message 31: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments No: I was thinking it might be Cromwell or Cornwall.

message 32: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 125 comments Try Jenn McKinley.

message 33: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks, Britney: that doesn't sound familiar, and it isn't the names above, either.

message 34: by Hockey Mama (new)

Hockey Mama Jana Deleon
Miss Fortune Mysteries!
Love those! !!

Louisiana Longshot (Miss Fortune Mystery #1) by Jana Deleon

message 35: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

You people are awesome. I never knew there was so much fun in the crime world!

message 36: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I agree, Nancy; great group.

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie West | 18 comments Skye wrote: "I am trying so hard to recall the name of a writer who wrote light, gothic-type mysteries. The setting was always Cornwall. Relatively modern day, too, and the writer's first name was Jennie. Do..."

Jennie Melville?

message 38: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) The most fun I had with a mystery was one which was part of a series where the killer was not named. It was a book tied into a contest for a $5,000 cash prize. If you (the reader) could provide the solution--you mailed the publisher and had a chance at big money.

I've tried to locate the book on Goodreads, but have never been quite sure I finally tagged it correctly and added it to my shelf. Always looking for more details on this great concept.

message 39: by Jamie (new)

Jamie West | 18 comments The Spellman Files is a hoot. Very quirky family of PIs.

message 40: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Jamie wrote: "Skye wrote: "I am trying so hard to recall the name of a writer who wrote light, gothic-type mysteries. The setting was always Cornwall. Relatively modern day, too, and the writer's first name wa..."
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you

message 41: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Jamie wrote: "The Spellman Files is a hoot. Very quirky family of PIs."

This sounds good.

message 42: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments I love The Spellmans! I think I have read all the books in the series so far except the last one. Do you know the name of the last book published in the series so far? Is the title "The Last Word"?

message 43: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

thanks everyone! I am trying out a few on the list before I decide, but at least you've all given me some great ideas.

message 44: by B'burg Linda (new)

B'burg Linda | 34 comments @Wendy - The Spellmans are great, aren't they. 'The Last Word' is the latest book, and was very good. I also wonder if it might be the final in the series as it has a 'wrapped-up' kind of feel to it. It would be interesting to hear other's takes on it.