Literary Exploration discussion

What Are You Reading > What Are You Reading - November 2014

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Apart from Tales of Terror and Mystery, what are you reading this month.

This month I plan to read by Ariel Sylvia Plath, The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery and Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer. After that, I'm not sure, maybe Yes Please, Norwegian Wood or Not Drowning, Reading

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I am currently reading The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey and will start Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens today. I plan to read Levels of Life by Julian Barnes, A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul, To Dwell in Darkness by Deborah Crombie, and Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. Yesterday I finished Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck which was a little less travel narrative and more social commentary than I thought it would be. Still enjoyable though.

message 3: by JoAnne (new)

message 4: by Mish (new)

Mish | 92 comments I plan to read Luigi's Freedom Ride by Alan Murray next, followed by The Visitors by Rebecca Mascull and then How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran

message 5: by Franky (new)

Franky I am currently reading The Circus in the Attic and Other Stories and Six Years (which might take me six years to finish).

I'll try to get to the Tales of Terror and Mystery collection. I'm interested to see how the author handles a different style.

message 7: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V I am in-between books. Just finished reading Neil Gaiman's Stardust. I am a huge fan of Gaiman and he has never disappointed me yet. So.. loved this modern fairy tale.

message 8: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Meric wrote: "Laurie wrote: "I am currently reading The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey and will start Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens today. "

Oliver Twist is one of my favorite boo..."

I have really enjoyed Oliver Twist and may have to try out Jack Dawkins which I heard about a few weeks ago. Before I read Oliver Twist I always thought that the Artful Dodger was a bigger part of the story. I've been surprised that he really didn't play a larger role than he did. But I have enjoyed him as a character, especially when he appeared in court on charges of stealing the snuff box. His bravado about how they would all be sorry and how he was such an important person was pretty funny.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

CLOCKWORK PRINCESS, by Cassandra Clare

HEX HALL, by Rachel Hawkins

KALONA'S FALL, by P.C. Cast

I AM MALALA, by Malala Yousafzi

COMPLETE WORKS, by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

CHANGELING, by Philippa Gregory

QUENTINS, by Maeve Binchy

JUST SO STORIES, by Rudyard Kipling