Horror Aficionados discussion

Zombie Books

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC | 32 comments Just a couple years ago even I was a big horror fan. It was my go-to genre. But it seems like it was invaded by zombies. Seriously. Horror has just been saturated by an over-abundance of zombie books. It's not that I hate them or anything. I've read my share. But my goodness man, enough already. I think publishers are killing the genre.

message 2: by Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (last edited Nov 01, 2014 06:30AM) (new)

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 26 comments I don't think it's an over-abundance but you do see them more in the forefront than in years past. I personally love the genre though so for me the more the merrier. Good Horror outside the genre still exists. Plenty of Serial Killers, demented babysitters, Paranormal whodunits littering book lists. Heck do a simple Amazon search and Vampires still pretty much reign supreme and I have noticed Werewolves and Jeckyll & Hyde type monsters making a resurgence as well.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments Chuck, it does seem to get saturated because success breeds imitation. Everyone jumps on the band wagon to write the next World War Z or produce the next The Walking Dead. It's frustrating for those of us who write in the genre to stand out amongst the competition, and it's frustrating to the fans who have to wade through a lot of bad books/programming to fins something they like. But like Kristin said, there's still plenty of fresh blood (?) out there.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 443 comments Since you opened this post I have to ask what zombie book should I start with?? I've never read a zombie book (be nice :D).

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments I'd start with World War Z by Max Brooks. It's a different type of novel in that it tells the entire story of a zombie outbreak in the perspective on an oral history. It's way better than the movie.

After that, it's a matter of personal preference. Some are mostly character and plot driven, much like The Walking Dead. Some focus more on the zombies and the outbreak. My book focuses on the characters but is heavily laden with action and gore.

I would recommend swinging by the Permuted Press homepage (http://permutedpress.com/) and go through their catalogue. You should find something that appeals to you there.

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 443 comments Thank you!

message 7: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC | 32 comments One I enjoyed that you don't hear a lot about is Stephen King's Cell

message 8: by Gianfranco (last edited Nov 02, 2014 03:10AM) (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 516 comments Monica wrote: "Since you opened this post I have to ask what zombie book should I start with?? I've never read a zombie book (be nice :D)."

Prova questi, Monica. Io li ho adorati :)

Sopravvissuti by Matteo Cortini
Sopravvissuti
Il libro dei morti viventi by John Skipp
Il libro dei morti viventi
Italian Zombie. Cronache della resistenza by Simone Arminio
Italian Zombie. Cronache della resistenza
Apocalisse Z (Apocalisse Z, #1) by Manel Loureiro
Apocalisse Z
Tomes of the Dead Anno Mortis by Rebecca Levene
Tomes of the Dead: Anno Mortis

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 443 comments Grazie Gianfranco..prendo appunti :D

message 10: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 516 comments Monica wrote: "Grazie Gianfranco..prendo appunti :D"