Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Archive Read > Nominations for January 2015 from Archive

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Val (new)

Val Please nominate books from the Archive lists.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 114 comments I'd like to nominate The Blue Flower by Penelope Fitzgerald, which I've been meaning to read for a while now.

message 3: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) | 343 comments i would like to nominate Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer, by Sena Jeter Naslund. (2001 longlist.)

from the book's description:
From the opening line—”Captain Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last”—you will know that you are in the hands of a master storyteller and in the company of a fascinating woman hero. Inspired by a brief passage in Moby-Dick, Sena Jeter Naslund has created an enthralling and compellingly readable saga, spanning a rich, eventful, and dramatic life. At once a family drama, a romantic adventure, and a portrait of a real and loving marriage, Ahab’s Wife gives new perspective on the American experience.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

message 4: by Penny (new)

Penny | 680 comments Mod
I'll nominate The Most Wanted by Jacquelyn Mitchard from way back in 1999. Never read this author
here is the blurb for it:

A naive teenage girl in south Texas falls in love with her prison pen pal. The object of her affection--a charming, dangerously handsome young felon who romances her through his letters to her. After a love affair that defies all conventions, they marry and have a child while the father is still imprisoned. But when he escapes prison to claim his wife and child, what started as a passionate romance turns into a terrifying ordeal of obsession and desire. The young girls only hope is a fiercely dedicated public aid lawyer who is more of a mother figure than the girl has ever known, and the only one who can avert disaster for mother and child!

message 5: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) | 343 comments shoot!! i am just so confused here today -- my apologies to you all!! i just need to clarify, though:

penny, we have a poll open to choose january's read: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

so is your nomination for february now?

message 6: by Val (new)

Val Yes the polls are already open for January, so I will include that nomination in the February one.
I send an invitation to vote on the polls, do people get it?

message 7: by Janine (new)

Janine | 80 comments Val wrote: "Yes the polls are already open for January, so I will include that nomination in the February one.
I send an invitation to vote on the polls, do people get it?"

I usually get a notification for the invitations, Val. But I've gone back and double checked my messages for this specific one and I don't seem to have received anything. But I've voted now!

message 8: by Val (new)

Val Thanks for letting me know Janine.
It must not have worked this time. I'll try again.

message 9: by Val (new)

Val I have sent another invitation.
It will not go to anyone who has already voted.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 114 comments I though I should probably explain my poll selection - because the two categories were combined (archive / new), I ended up voting for a book other than the one I nominated (!) - sorry, I know that might seem odd, but my preference is for one from the new list if I am making a choice from a 'combined' list.

message 11: by Val (new)

Val There will be just one nomination thread in future months Jen, so that odd situation should not happen again.

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen | 114 comments Oh I don't mind at all Val, I just thought it would seem odd on my part to note vote for my nominated book. Too many good choices!

message 13: by Penny (new)

Penny | 680 comments Mod
I have had some internet issues this last 2 weeks - I lose connection for days at a time ! Sorry for confusion everyone.

Val - I too did not get a polls notification - strange I usually do!