The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones The World of Ice & Fire discussion

Does this bother you about The World Of Ice And Fire?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael George has said, via interview, that after the series is done. He is going to write another companion that chronicles the ENTIRE history of westeros, instead of leaving a bunch of things out of this one. He's calling it the grrmarillion. What exactly is the point of buying this book?

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil Sure IF he lives that long to "finish" such a massive project. Also if you want to wait that long. PLUS we don't no if this grrmarillion will have art. The art in this mini Simirillian where he went back and forth with tons a famous fantasy artists to get his vision right. Not bad for $30 i'd say :-)

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Really good points you raised here. I mean I do love the book, but I was just saying is this the uncomplete version of a greater book coming, but if he does choose to have it completely different then this book is really great. I was just concerned on that font. However I don't really get why people are saying about him dying, because anne rice is in her 90s and shes still pulling out great books.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil True, he may finish such a project. I didn't buy it for the text. George himself mostly promoted the pictures from what I read. It really is a sexi book to go through as your re reading the series.

message 5: by Michael (last edited Nov 01, 2014 10:04AM) (new) - added it

Michael Phil wrote: "True, he may finish such a project. I didn't buy it for the text. George himself mostly promoted the pictures from what I read. It really is a sexi book to go through as your re reading the series."

True :)

Colleen The last Song of Ice and Fire (assuming #7 is the last one, he has hinted it may not be) is projected to come out in 2019. Let's say it takes him another 5 years to finish his proposed history--that's 2024. You really want to wait that long to see if he does it?

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil @Colleen , I agree that's why I picked it up on sale a month ago! Was a small glimpse of backstory with SO much leftout :( LOVE the art work though. Gives me inspiriation to re-read the series, but i'm hard at work with Memories of Ice.

message 8: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Phil wrote: "@Colleen , I agree that's why I picked it up on sale a month ago! Was a small glimpse of backstory with SO much leftout :( LOVE the art work though. Gives me inspiriation to re-read the series, but..."

How is the Malazan series? I heard a lot of praise about it but have no idea if I want to pick it up because I don't know what it is about and if ill like it.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil @Michael Hmmm I'm strangley addicted to the series? This series does not hold your hand. In the first book your thrown into an all out war between many different factions/gods/species with no explination till deep into the book.

After you finish the first book, the 2nd book picks up with a whole new cast of characters on the other side of the world on another continent. The story timeline is something like:
Book timeline 1,3,8
Book timeline 2,4,6
Book timeline 5,7

All come together for book 9 and 10.

It is the most Epic Fantasy you will ever read if you start. With over 3.3 million words combining the 10 books in the series lol. I'm only on book 3! but i did a lot of research before diving in to it. If your interested, force yourself to read book 1 and 2 along side a Malazan wiki page. That will give you a good foundation to decide if you want to invest in the world or not :-) Hope that helps? hah :-)

message 10: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Wow, ive never heard of that before, where the books switch characters, but it sounds really unique and definatly piqued my interest. Does it have the standard fantasy fare, like dragons and magic? You mentioned gods, is that where they draw power from? I know that there are two authors who created the world of Malazan, so is the world big? And also im not sure if you've read The Wheel Of Time series, but if you did is Malazan epic in that sense or even more so? I love Game Of Thrones and ever since then have loved books with a very large cast of character.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil Sure I can try an give a vague description of how the world operates. I am only on book 3 so it's prob a lot cooler as the series goes on :P

Magic is operated by "warrens" portals to a realm of magic . There are many different ones, for example dark,chaos,death etc. Each warren is ruled by an Ascendant or Elder God. Anyone in the world and try to "ascend" to god hood through different means(explains in the books). Mages use magic by being worshiping a certain god and accessing there "warren" to cast spells/heal etc.

There is an acient race that can turn into dragons. In this picture http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/m...

They live on that floating island. That scene is like in the first 5 chapters on the first book, you thrown into a huuuge fight. The world is massive , basically ASOIAf big. I've read the wheel of time, that is epic! Wheel of time is more tame and less brutal of a world compared to Malazan. Theres a lot of milatary aspects to this world where as the wheel of time is a quest to kill a bad guy with some battles here and there.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil also the main story (books 1-10) are written by Steven Erikson. The other author writes side stories and spinoffs in the same world with some of the side characters

message 13: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Wow,thanks, and I must say you've got me hooked on the series now. It sounds so good. A person can turn into a god sounds so cool. I'm definitely going to check this out

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil No Problem! Hit me up with a message when your done the first book. Curious to think what someone else thinks of it.

message 15: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Will do :)