Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > New edition synopsis?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay Kennedy | 2 comments Hi,
I'm a new librarian and have a question to ask that I couldn't find the answer to in the manual. I made a new edition for a book with a different cover, and would like to know if I can change the synopsis for the edition I made and for the previous edition? It's not that well known of a book, and I believe the person who made the first edition didn't make the synopsis that interesting (it was only like two sentences). Also can I use the synopsis which is on Barnes & Noble and other websites, or do I have to make one myself?
Thanks

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments It's fine to change the synopsis on previous editions, as long as what you're changing it to is an improvement over what was previously there.

As for WHERE you get your synopsis, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers are not acceptable sources for book info. The only exception is Amazon, because Amazon owns Goodreads. I would take the synopsis from there, if it has one. ALternatively, you can get it from an author's own website, or the publisher's website. There's also WorldCat, which occasionally has summaries when other sources don't.

And of course you can make one up yourself, if all else fails.

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay Kennedy | 2 comments Z-squared wrote: "It's fine to change the synopsis on previous editions, as long as what you're changing it to is..."

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!