Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Death by Children!: I Had Kids So You Don't Have To
This topic is about Death by Children!
Book Issues > Combining author names

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Garlington (bull_garlington) | 7 comments I have an account under my given name, and am the author of one book under Chris Garlington. However, as of my most recent book, I am using my pen name, Bull Garlington. I want to add the new book to my profile but because it has the pen name, I can't seem to do so. Suggestions?

message 2: by Nanaa (new)

Nanaa (xxmzsmilesxx) | 1167 comments According to the librarian manual:
Regarding author pseudonyms or pen names - some authors write or have written under multiple names. When editing or adding information for a book written by an author with multiple names, enter the author's name as on the front cover as the primary author. The author's other names may be added in the other author fields. Original name or other pen names can added and linked via a Librarian Note: in the description field, or using the Librarian Note feature located above the Title field. In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its primary author name changed to the originally published pen name, with the additional name added as secondary for all editions with it on the cover. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

I believe you just add your other profile to the authors field.
I've done it for you already.

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Garlington (bull_garlington) | 7 comments How very awesome!

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Garlington (bull_garlington) | 7 comments Nandar; I remain confusculated. I also have several stories on Amazon Kindle and I wrote The Beat Cop's Guide to Chicago Eats. I can't figure out where to change the spaces. I'm old and feeble. Please help me!

message 5: by Nanaa (new)

Nanaa (xxmzsmilesxx) | 1167 comments ahahaha I shall go check that for you!

message 6: by Nanaa (last edited Oct 31, 2014 02:55PM) (new)

Nanaa (xxmzsmilesxx) | 1167 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

It seems that it was placed under Christopher Garlington instead of Chris Garlington, which a name that appears on all your books on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Christopher-Gar...

I'm not particularly sure if both Christopher Garlington or Chris Garlington should be placed in the author field, or only Chris Garlington.

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Garlington (bull_garlington) | 7 comments I'd prefer Christopher and Bull Garlington. I almost never use Chris.

message 8: by Nanaa (new)

Nanaa (xxmzsmilesxx) | 1167 comments I think we need a superlibrarian or more experience librarian for this issue. I have no clue how to approach this and I want the best outcome for you.

message 9: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Garlington (bull_garlington) | 7 comments Thanks. How do I . . . is there a special spotlight? Like for batman?

message 10: by Nanaa (new)

Nanaa (xxmzsmilesxx) | 1167 comments I'm sure a superlibrarian will come across this thread. :)

message 11: by Z-squared (last edited Oct 31, 2014 05:57PM) (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments I think you need more than a super for this one. You probably need an employee.

Goodreads' usual policy is to have whatever is on the cover of the book reflected in the book record. So if the book cover says "Chris", then the book record should say "Chris". However, for authors that have published under multiple pen names that can be subsumed into one another (e.g., Chris is a shorter version of Christopher), we usually merge them into the longer version (in this case, Christopher) assuming the various pen names weren't deliberately set up to differentiate work in various genres.

However, you've claimed "Chris", not "Christopher". And librarians can't mess with claimed profiles, only employees.

As for your new pen name, Bull Garlington, you have two options.

Option A: Two separate profiles, one for Christopher Garlington and another for Bull Garlington. However, you can include in each profile description the fact that a) you are also published under Christopher/Bull Garlington and b) a link to the other profile. If you were to republish any of your works with your new pen name, Christopher Garlington would still be listed as the primary (because all books must have the same primary author to be combined, and we always go with the original author). However, Bull Garlington would be appended as a secondary author, allowing users to see that book on both profile pages.

Option B: A single profile with the name Christopher "Bull" Garlington. I'm less sure about this option, but there's precedence for author profiles containing nicknames in quotation marks. I'm making the leap to assume that you could therefore combine all three profiles (Chris, Christopher, and Bull) under such a profile, but I wouldn't mind Rivka weighing in on that idea. D'oh! Not an option after all.

So. Loooooong story short, if you can tell me which option you'd prefer, I can make the appropriate request in the employee thread and direct you accordingly.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Z-squared wrote: " A single profile with the name Christopher "Bull" Garlington."

Not unless there is at least one book with this exact name -- quote marks and all -- on the cover.

message 13: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Thanks Rivka. I'll post a request in the employee thread to have his profile changed to Christopher.

Christopher, to claim your Bull Garlington profile, just go here:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Scroll down to the bottom and click on "Is this you? Let us know." When you claim this profile, you'll need to provide a different email address than the one you used to claim Chris Garlington.

For now, I've included a link in the Bull Garlington profile to redirect users to your current profile.

message 14: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Garlington (bull_garlington) | 7 comments Z-squared wrote: "I think you need more than a super for this one. You probably need an employee.

Goodreads' usual policy is to have whatever is on the cover of the book reflected in the book record. So if the boo..."

I would like Bull Garlington, with all the books currently authored by Christopher Garlington listed there too.

Also, wow. Awesome service.

message 15: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Garlington (bull_garlington) | 7 comments Yeah, so. It won't let me claim it. Should I delete my profile as Christopher/Chris and only go by Bull?

message 16: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Chris wrote: "Yeah, so. It won't let me claim it. Should I delete my profile as Christopher/Chris and only go by Bull?"

You'll have to keep both profiles, actually. I posted a request in the employee thread to merge Chris/Christopher to Christopher, but because it's a weekend, I wouldn't expect any action on this until Monday at the earliest.

You should be able to claim the Bull profile as long as you use a DIFFERENT email address than the one you used to claim Chris.