Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
This topic is about The Blade Itself
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Abercrombie, Joe - The Blade Itself - Informal Buddy Read; Start date December 27, 2014

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

Book Synopsis:
Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught in one feud too many, he’s on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian – leaving nothing behind him but bad songs, dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman Captain Jezal dan Luthar, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends at cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a box. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendship. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government, if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Enter the wizard, Bayaz. A bald old man with a terrible temper and a pathetic assistant, he could be the First of the Magi, he could be a spectacular fraud, but whatever he is, he's about to make the lives of Logen, Jezal, and Glotka a whole lot more difficult.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

Greta | 1459 comments Excited to read this again!!

message 5: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'm excited to read it for the first time! :) I started to read The Heroes but when I realized it had some characters from this trilogy I decided to wait and read this first...and then that never happened.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4308 comments Looking forward to this one

Greta | 1459 comments Yeah Logan you can read The Heroes without reading the trilogy but I think it's best to start with the trilogy.

Esther (nyctale) New author for me. Very excited about it.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments You people are truly killing me! I have had this book in my to-read list since ages! Sigh... I am sorely tempted!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Oh, this looks good. I'm thinking this would be a good one to join. :) My goodness so many wonderful books.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments This is one of my favorite series. I might reread it along with you all and then move on to Abercrombie's other books. I have Best Served Cold on my bookshelf but I've yet to touch it.

Ashley Marie Jumping into this one. it's been on my TBR so I might as well! :)

Greta | 1459 comments Amanda wrote: "This is one of my favorite series. I might reread it along with you all and then move on to Abercrombie's other books. I have Best Served Cold on my bookshelf but I've yet to touch..."

I thought Best Served Cold was great but The Heroes and Red Country were even better, Amanda!!

Abbie | 2575 comments Since this one is in December, count me in!

This Buddy Read thread is killing me...

Abbie | 2575 comments I have read Best Served Cold& Half a King, both super good! This one is on my TRB as well, I picked it up a few months ago when the price got droped.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Greta wrote: "Amanda wrote: "This is one of my favorite series. I might reread it along with you all and then move on to Abercrombie's other books. I have Best Served Cold on my bookshelf but I'..."

That's good to hear, Greta. I'm looking forward to his other books, especially The Heroes.

Katelyn (Lost as Alice, Mad as the Hatter) (essequamvideri) It has been awhile since I've read an Abercrombie book. Sounds like a good time to pick another one up!

message 18: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments I loved this one but I haven't moved on to the second. If you're doing the trilogy, then I'll join for the second.

message 19: by just kat (new) - added it

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments I just picked this up for a mere $4 the other day. This is just the right push to read it ASAP.

message 20: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia (cynthiab) Hopefully this will turn into a Series Read, and when can go at our own pace. I'd like to read them, but I can't go zooming through all 3 one right after the other.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh sounds good. I'd like to join in this too!

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments Oooh, I just realised that I have this on my kindle so count me in!
I'm excited after reading all of the references to it being similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Esther (nyctale) Anyone has started? I will start late. In a few days. I overestimated my reading time. ... I am behind.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4308 comments Esther wrote: "Anyone has started? I will start late. In a few days. I overestimated my reading time. ... I am behind."

No, will be a few days

Snowtulip | 4438 comments I'm interested in this also, I probably won't start for a few days, a little behind in some other reads.

message 26: by Ange (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ange (bentleyrise) | 484 comments I'd like to join this too, will start today or tomorrow.

message 27: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'm behind on BRs as well, so I'm fine with starting late.

Ashley Marie I started this on time, but I didn't get anything read last night so most likely I'm behind lol. got through the prologue and (I think?) chapter one. Abercrombie sounds like a British Kerouac -- he loves his fragments and run-on sentences lol.

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments I've started but am only around 4% in so not far enough to really have much of an opinion yet.
I am looking forward to getting further into it soon though.

Esther (nyctale) Read the first chapter this morning. not much to say yet.

Abbie | 2575 comments I still plan on it...Just got a few books to work through still before I can start...

message 32: by Ange (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ange (bentleyrise) | 484 comments I'm 11% in and like it although I find the writing style a little odd sometimes. Keen to find out about Logen's past, he seems to have an interesting history.

Greta | 1459 comments I will be late to start too...maybe a week?

message 34: by Ashley Marie (last edited Jan 02, 2015 06:14AM) (new) - added it

Ashley Marie Through chapter 2, and I saw we get to get back with Logen in the next chapter so I'm excited for that. Glokta's chapter was definitely different.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I'm still looking for a copy of this one....

message 36: by Esther (last edited Jan 03, 2015 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esther (nyctale) Ange wrote: "I'm 11% in and like it although I find the writing style a little odd sometimes. Keen to find out about Logen's past, he seems to have an interesting history."

i only have a few chapter in and i do wonder at the writing style. I think it is to take a bit to get used to.

message 37: by Ange (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ange (bentleyrise) | 484 comments 26% (view spoiler)

Esther (nyctale) Only at 9%. Now i have met all 3 main characters. Quite a bunch.

So far it is not catching my interest so much but I am quite far enough.

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments Ange wrote: "26% [spoilers removed]"

Ange - (view spoiler)

I'm just over 28% through now and am actually quite enjoying it. I'm interested to see how all of the main characters intersect further along in the story.

Esther (nyctale) at 18%.

I am now starting to see the links between the main characters. I am getting into the story and liking it.

I hope Ardee will be a recurring character. :)

message 41: by Ange (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ange (bentleyrise) | 484 comments Who else loves Glokta

message 42: by Snowtulip (last edited Jan 10, 2015 04:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snowtulip | 4438 comments I'm about 10% in and am definitely staying interested in the story. I'm also liking the writing style :)

Since it early story for me, I'm not loving Glokta yet ;) He scares me!

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments Ange wrote: "Who else loves Glokta"

He's equal parts disgusting and fascinating to me right now.
I'm a huge Logen fan and can't wait to see what happens with his character.
I'm just over 50% now and Bayaz is definitely one of my favourite characters too so far.

message 44: by Ange (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ange (bentleyrise) | 484 comments What I loved about this book is that with the exception on bayaz all the main characters are flawed or damaged in some way, there are no typical knight in shining armour heroes here

Esther (nyctale) Ange wrote: "Who else loves Glokta"

Not yet.... I may not be far enough....

I am about 25% in. I want to know more about Logan part in this right now. (view spoiler)

Esther (nyctale) a
Michelle wrote: "Ange wrote: "26% [spoilers removed]"

Ange - [spoilers removed]

I'm just over 28% through now and am actually quite enjoying it. I'm interested to see how all of the main characters intersect furt..."

About your spoiler. It never occurred to me but you are so right.

Esther (nyctale) at 28%.

Finished the chapter : King of the Northmen
(view spoiler)

I am starting to really like Bayaz. Reminds me of Gandalf. :)

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments I'm around 92% into this now and am so close to tasting the end!
I've had a lot of mixed feelings for this book over the past few days as I am generally really enjoying it but I have found that there is a lot of filler that could have probably been left out to develop the story a lot quicker. It's felt like a very long and slow journey so far but maybe that was the author's intention when writing it.
I'm going to finish reading it today if it kills me!

Esther (nyctale) i was struggling with this one. Other books I was reading got picked up more often. The story did not seem to get anywhere
I finally finished part 1. Since then I seem to be getting ito it. Hopefully it will last.

I am still not liking Glokta but Logen and Jezal are starting to grow on me..