Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Book Discussion - Non BotM > New short story on Dolores Umbridge by J.K. Rowling

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
J.K. Rowling has written another short story based in the world of Harry Potter, and this time it's about the character that everyone loves to hate: Dolores Umbridge! Rowling has written a short history of Umbridge's background, so you can see just why she is like she is.

The story is posted on Pottermore, but you can also read it here if you don't have a Pottermore account :)

message 2: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2015 comments Mod
Is she as obnoxious in this story as she was in the books? I have a hard time reading the book she is featured heavily in (book 6?).

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

It's more of a little background story, a brief history of her life :)

message 4: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
Its book 5 shes mostly in(Order of The Phoenix)and yes she is pretty much obnoxious

message 5: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2015 comments Mod
I thought it was 5, she induced rage in me every time she showed up.

message 6: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
Pretty much her sole purpose

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Is it weird that despite how evil she was, I never imagined her as Slytherin? I think all the pink misled me.

message 8: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1829 comments Mod
Rinn wrote: "Is it weird that despite how evil she was, I never imagined her as Slytherin? I think all the pink misled me."

Agreed! The pink is so deceptive! I guess I didn't really think about it, even though she would have attended Hogwarts and would have therefore been in one of the houses, but giving it thought I would have supposed Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw! But on reflection I suppose her personality very much fits with Slytherin.

Really nice little background information about the her :) I would love to hear about some of the very minor characters such as the shop keepers in Diagon Alley like Madam Malkin and the ice cream guy (having a mind blank on the name at the moment!).

message 9: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
I would have thought Ravenclaw as shes a bit of a know it all in her ways but Slythrrin certainly makes more sense when you think about it , with her draw to power.

message 10: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I thought Hufflepuff too, even though I can see her backstabbing her friends to move up in the world...

message 11: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Aww that's so cute! But loyalty is one of their main characteristics, right?

Maybe she needs her own special house...

message 12: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
Was she that loyal though. She simply stuck with the most powerful person at any given time. She switched to a Voldemort run regime with no hesitation

message 13: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

That's what I meant, she doesn't seem loyal to me. So I don't know why I thought of her as Hufflepuff.

message 14: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
Maybe the frumpiness

message 15: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
Sad but true

message 16: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Also sometimes Hufflepuff seems like the house for leftovers... yep, poor Hufflepuffs :(

message 17: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
I read somewhere that Rowling considered Hufflepuff the best house .

message 18: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I think apparently she said she'd be a Hufflepuff? :)

message 19: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
thats the one

message 20: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 36 comments I have just discovered this thread, and read the Rowling description of the sources that inspired Dolores Umbridge. I fully understand! I also had the misfortune to meet more than one similar example of petty evil in school - but unfortunately I did not meet them as 'pupil meeting teacher' - I met them as 'teacher meets headmaster' (or headmistress! I could find examples of both).
There is a certain personality type, that irrespective of any other skills or qualifications should never be allowed to hold a position where they have any supervisory rights over anyone else. Sadly, many of them become bosses in their chosen professions! I suspect it is even worse if you go into politics!
To the Dementors with them!

message 21: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
Thats an interesting thought . If Newt was in a different house it could really give a good background . In the books we see inside Gryfindor, Slytherin and Ravenclaws home areas but never Hufflepuff

message 22: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I was going to say, Ravenclaw too :)

In the Lego HP games you get to explore all the common rooms, and they're so cool! Slytherin is under the lake so has these huge windows underwater, and you see the squid floating past :D

message 23: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
I have the game so I'll have to check it out ☺

message 24: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1829 comments Mod
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/12/what...

and we now have a bit more on Draco Malfoy for Christmas :)