2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
This topic is about The Desert Spear
ARCHIVE 2014 > The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ZaraS (last edited Oct 31, 2014 05:12PM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments This thread is to discuss Peter V. Brett's book The Desert Spear.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants:
Cassandra, Jannene, Lynn

Jannene | 536 comments I heard this book is a lot better than the other one.

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Zara -- I'd like to read this one...could you add me?

Jannene | 536 comments Hi Lynn!

message 5: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments You've been added Lynn. Welcome. I hope you all enjoy the book.

Jannene | 536 comments Lynn is going to try and get her book on Tuesday. I'll start when you gals want.

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'll be picking my book up tomorrow, hopefully, so I'm okay to start this week.

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Picked it up today. I'll get started tonight and check in again soon.

Cassandra | 5832 comments Sounds good! I'll probably be starting tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to this. I loved the first book.

Jannene | 536 comments I didn't like Jardir in the last book so I am having a hard time caring what happened to him in his childhood. Anyone else feel the same way?

message 11: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments I'm having a tough time with the second book too....I could hardly put the first one down, but I'm struggling this time.

message 12: by Jannene (last edited Nov 09, 2014 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jannene | 536 comments I'm glad it isn't just me that is struggling. If it would be easier we could be a little more structured on this one which will force us to check in. Up to you gals. I didn't realize how thick the book is either.

message 13: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments You want to check in by section (4@ approx. 150 pages each) by timeline? I'd consider it an accomplishment if I got go Section 2. :-)

Jannene | 536 comments I just hit chapter 5 (page 90). Section 2 starts on page 211 for me. You think we can hit section two by the end of the week?

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'm at page 173 in my copy. I'm not liking this book as much as the first book, but I do like learning a little more about Jardir.

It's a little frustrating that they drop this super interesting thing about there being different kinds of demons that apparently will be organizing the corelings during the prologue and then immediately jump back in time so you don't get to see how that affects Arlen and all of your favorite characters.

Jannene | 536 comments I feel the same way. It felt like the bait and switch. I bet it gets better when Arlen and crew get introduced back in.

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments I think it's a common practice in book 2 of a series to take off in a new direction and withhold the characters of book 1 that got you hooked. This time -- 200 pages of desert warrior is too much.

message 18: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments I've gotten to the part where Jardir dumps Arlen in the desert.....this time from Jardir's POV. Do you guys remember Arlen was given a choice to surrender the spear and leave with a horse? I sure don't.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the book more now. Tough to keep me reading when the book starts with rape, pillage, murder, caste-prejudice and misogyny. The first 50 pages were so full of gung-ho warrior b.s. I almost quit the book.....I would have without this discussion to drive me at first...thanks.

Jannene | 536 comments Lynn wrote: "I've gotten to the part where Jardir dumps Arlen in the desert.....this time from Jardir's POV. Do you guys remember Arlen was given a choice to surrender the spear and leave with a horse? I sure ..."

Uh, I think the author needed to revist Arlen's POV because you're right he didn't have a choice. He was left in the desert for dead too.

Lynn, I felt the same way when I read about the rape and warrior crap. I was appalled about what hPpened to the warder where both his wife and daughter were raped and his house burnt down. Unbelievable.

Cassandra | 5832 comments I can't remember clearly whether or not he was given a choice to live. I can't imagine Arlen just handing over the spear to someone who obviously wants to keep it for themselves (rather than sharing it with the world as Arlen wanted to do), so it's possible. "Choice" in this case is relative, of course.

Yeah, the pillaging was really disturbing. It's a product of the Krasians being not only rigidly caste-based but also ridiculously racist. Think of how poorly the Krasians treat their khaffit and then remember that the greatest chin is still subordinate to the lowliest khaffit. It seems like an allegory on manifest destiny to me. Very much "This is our destiny, we are better than you, you are not even human to us and we can do whatever we want to you and not even feel bad about it."

message 21: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Cassandra wrote: "I can't remember clearly whether or not he was given a choice to live. I can't imagine Arlen just handing over the spear to someone who obviously wants to keep it for themselves (rather than sharin..."

The whole 'glorious/honorable death then off to heaven and the adoring virgins' thing bugs the hell out of me. I realize there will have to be moderation and unity of all people in the ending battles of this story (book 5?), but I despise reading about this kind of zealotry in the meantime. It wears on my patience.

Cassandra | 5832 comments I totally agree, Lynn.

I finished part two last night and started into part three. One of my favorite things in fantasy novels is an interesting magic system. With the wards, this magic system qualifies. The other things I really like about it is that its magic has a very real cost, especially for Arlen. It's unclear whether there is a real cost to people who merely use warded weapons (as opposed to being one themselves), but I'm interested to see where the author takes this.

message 23: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Just finished the chapter in Angiers where the "Duchess Mum" is introduced. Loved her!

Jannene | 536 comments Ohh Cassandra finished. I feel like a slacker! I haven't reached Duchess either so I must be the turtle.

message 25: by Lynn (last edited Nov 12, 2014 04:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Go girl go! It just gets so much better.

Jannene | 536 comments Thank goodness, Arlen is finally in the story!

Jannene | 536 comments I'm hoping to finish today or tomorrow. My husband is sick and he wanted to spend time watching tv.

message 28: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Sorry to hear about your husband Jannene. I'm about 20 pages from the end of the book. I had to stop because apparently there is more to life than reading. Will be able to get back to it tonight I hope.

Jannene | 536 comments I'm almost done with section two. It is a lot better than section one.

message 30: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments All kinds of surprises and excitement in the last third. Enjoy!

message 31: by Jannene (last edited Nov 16, 2014 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jannene | 536 comments I like Duchess Mum. I also like Selia who is trying to save Renna. I find her sisters selfish and disgusting. They knew what would happen but couldn't see past their noses.

I just started the last section.

message 32: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Interesting that all these cities/cultures (even in Krasia) have women wielding the real power behind the scenes.

Jannene | 536 comments I'm done. I really liked the book but section one could have been scaled down a lot. I didn't like that Leesha fell for Jardir. I was glad Harl got what he had coming. He was a total creep. I wonder what happens in the next book.

Cassandra | 5832 comments I didn't love that Leesha fell for Jardir either, but I'm glad that she's allowed to be a strong, independent woman who is also allowed to have romantic feelings and be feminine. Jardir himself might not be such a bad guy - he's the leader of an incredibly racist, political caste-based society, but a lot of that was determined for him.

I loved Selia and the Duchess Mum. I even liked Inevera toward the end.

The one character that I'm disappointed with is Renna. I liked Renna, and I thought it was great that she was the one who took revenge on Harl, even though she took the fall for it. I even thought it was interesting that she wanted to paint wards on herself and fight the corelings. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there was something really annoying about her toward the end.

Are you two planning on continuing the series?

Jannene | 536 comments Yes, I have the third book. I'm donating the series to my library since they didn't have them and I had to buy them all.

I think Renna became too possessed with fighting demons. A little too eager but I think it was her way of taking control of her life. She seemed a little needy wanting Arlen's love.

I hope Leesa finds someone worthy of her. I had hoped she would find something in Rojer but it hasn't happened.

I liked how Jeph saved Renna and faced his fear saving her. I'm glad she to.d Arlen about it. I wished he would have told him he was alive.

I also loved how he was reunited with Regan and his wife. They treated him well. I even got a laugh when Ellisa's servant smacked Arlen twice because of leaving them and breaking their hearts.

message 36: by Lynn (last edited Nov 17, 2014 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments (view spoiler)

I'm a dove for war in real life, but I really enjoyed the demon battle scenes, especially the ones involving the mind demon and mimic!

Jannene | 536 comments Lynn, I don't want to read it for a couple months. When you or I want to read it, let's touch base and read it together. Want to?

Jannene | 536 comments Lynn wrote: "I know I whined a lot about Krasian society and Jardir to start, but I'm glad that Leesha pounced on him. :D It was a tension-breaker for the book and I don't think her chastity had much to do wit..."

I find it interesting that you think Renna won't be around long. I think she may be an important key to the story. I'm not sure as to what but the way she was played up makes me think that.

message 39: by Lynn (last edited Nov 17, 2014 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments I think Arlen will rediscover his humanity with her, but he'll end up with Leesha....but who knows.....I'm a romantic :-)