Indie Book Club discussion

Wyrd Worlds II
This topic is about Wyrd Worlds II
Book of the Month Fantasy > November 2014 Book of the Month: Wyrd Worlds II

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thaddeus (last edited Oct 31, 2014 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thaddeus White | 631 comments Mod
Congratulations to the many authors of this anthology, which I believe is free on Smashwords and Amazon. Let discussion commence!

Edited extra bit: think I might need a new mouse, it's proven fond of double-clicking. Deleted a copy of this thread, but if it shows up for anyone, that's why. *This* is the proper discussion thread.

Christian W. (cwallers) | 42 comments I just picked this up and will start reading it shortly. I also picked up the first Wyrd Worlds - if any of the included authors frequent this thread, could I ask how you got involved in the anthology? It seems like a great way to get a story out to market and in the hands of readers who might not otherwise seek you out.

message 3: by Stan (last edited Nov 01, 2014 01:45PM) (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) If I recall, the original idea was suggested by Steph Bennion. It sounded like a good idea, so we began submitting stories. Ross showed us some cover ideas, and it grew from there.

message 4: by Ubiquitous (new) - added it

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 8 comments Contributing to the Wyrd Worlds anthologies has been a great experience. Several of us beta-read each other's stories prior to publication. As a result, we got to know each other a little better. I'm proud to be associated with such a fine group of people.

Picked this up. First story was a bit longer than I'd expected. Despite being a part 2, I didn't have any difficulty with continuity, though.

Also, I like the cover design. At a distance, or as a thumbnail, it spells 'Wyrd Worlds II', but close up it's more like, er, I've forgotten the term, but a cluster of words [the author's name] (they make them for political speeches often, to see what terms are used most commonly).

message 6: by Ubiquitous (new) - added it

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 8 comments Ross Harrison is credited with the cover design for both Wyrd Worlds books. We think he did a great job.

Perhaps a quarter of the way in. Pretty wide range of story length already (first was longer than expected, the latest, by Alexandra, on the dinky side).

Christian W. (cwallers) | 42 comments I finished the first two stories. I thoroughly enjoyed the first and agree that it was longer than expected. The second was on the short side, and it was interesting reading in first person - present tense. Did anybody else notice that? I've seen some people say that they can't stand reading anything in present tense, but I thought it worked in this story.

message 9: by A.L. (last edited Nov 07, 2014 10:23AM) (new) - added it

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Mine are short, sorry but there are a couple. Sounds like people are enjoying it.

Sorry? Don't think you need to apologise for short length [insert your own punchline here].

Not made as much progress with this as I'd like. Trying to crack on with redrafting but there aren't enough hours in the day.

If I don't get much further in the next few days I'll set aside some time to get on with it.

message 11: by A.L. (new) - added it

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Sadly I have lots of hours in the day - mostly at the day job and not nearly enough writing.

I appreciate you taking the time to read.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Puttonen (mput) | 2 comments Ubiquitous wrote: "Ross Harrison is credited with the cover design for both Wyrd Worlds books. We think he did a great job."

Ubi,
I believe your link is to a different Ross Harrison.

Christian W. (cwallers) | 42 comments I am about half-way through. I am at work and don't have the material in front of me, but off the top of my head:
- I enjoyed the first story very much. Very nice post-apocalyptic feel and nice character development.
- The story with the imps was amusing. I did a face-palm at the end when I realized the context - that doesn't happen very often.
- The were- / alien story was well-done. I especially enjoyed the ending, but it was fun getting to that point too.
- The assassin story made me feel like I was playing a mission in Skyrim. For those not familiar with videogames, that is high praise indeed.

I'm sure I left out some stories, and for that I apologize. I will try to do a more detailed review after I finish the entire book.

Christian, aye, the first and imp stories were good (they're also miles apart in terms of length).

message 16: by Ubiquitous (new) - added it

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 8 comments Glad to hear that folks are enjoying the stories.

Thanks, Michael and Stan for catching and correcting the link for Ross Harrison. It would appear that I was posting impaired.

Christian W. (cwallers) | 42 comments I just finished the story titled "Homeless". Wow was that bleak. Excellent job with setting the mood. Now I need a hug.

Thou shalt have no hug from me.

[I'm a Yorkshireman. We're forbidden from hugging other men, by law].

Anyway, just finished this today. I'll put the review up presently. The short version would be that it's a little up-and-down [probably necessarily so, given it's an anthology with such wide variety], and whilst some bits weren't my cup of tea I think I've found a few more authors whose wares I'll browse once the current mountain of books I've got has been whittled away.

message 19: by A.L. (new) - added it

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Fair enough. I've found that with anthologies - some stories are great, some not so great. It's good to hear you've found some new authors.