Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

The Crossover
This topic is about The Crossover
Newbery 2015 > The Crossover! The One!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Reving | 106 comments I mentioned this in my comments about Caminar, but this book was just so incredible that I had to make it a topic of its own. THIS is the one! It has to be!
http://revingsblog.blogspot.com/2014/...

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Holtz | 23 comments A sixth grade boy with a reading and math disability in my classroom picked up The Crossover two days ago. Yesterday he showed me that he was on page 47. Today he showed me that he was on page 167, I had to tell him several times to put the book away during instruction, and he also asked me if I have any more books like that. I think he made my whole year!!! Now, what other books have boy main characters, include themes involving families and sports, and is told in verse?? Of they are out there, I'm buying!!!

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine | 18 comments Shakespeare Bats Cleanup (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #1) by Ron Koertge and Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #2) by Ron Koertge are both sports and told in verse. I haven't read The Crossover by Kwame Alexander yet because it is checked out since I bought it, so I am not sure if they will be what you are looking for.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Holtz | 23 comments Christine- I'll check them out, thanks!

Czechgirl | 214 comments I agree with Reving! The Crossover is my #1 pick for Newbery.

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail E. | 4 comments I agree with all of the comments about The Crossover and its appeal to male reluctant readers. I can't agree with it as #1 pick for Newbery with so many other novels out there to consider like Auxier, Jonathan. The Night Gardener: A Scary Story. (Amulet Books, 2014), Graff, Lisa. Absolutely Almost. (Philomel Books, 2014). Johnson, Jaleigh. The Mark of the Dragonfly. (Delacorte Press, 2014). Philbrick, Rodman. Zane and the Hurricane: A Story of Katrina. (Blue Sky Press, 2014). Turnage, Sheila. The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing. (Kathy Dawson Books, 2014) and countless others.

Sheila Welch (sheilakellywelch) | 28 comments Another one that reluctant boy readers might like is the new Coe Booth book, KINDA LIKE BROTHERS. The main character is not a good student and is being forced to go to summer school plus put up with a foster kid who's bigger and better than he is at a lot of stuff. They even have to share a room. I just started it and like it a lot.

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Ferry (librarygarden) | 86 comments One of the best books in verse I've read this year. I actually enjoyed it more than BGD. This is definitely a book the will appeal to older reluctant readers. I liked the flow of the story, and the twists that I didn't expect. I hope the upcoming award season recognizes this great book.

Kate VanHouten (mrsvanhouten) | 4 comments Speaking of verse, has anyone read How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson? I've read Brown Girl Dreaming and wondered why I haven't heard much about the other. They sound very similar but Woodson's has definitely received much more recognition.

message 10: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal | 9 comments Kate wrote: "Speaking of verse, has anyone read How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson? I've read Brown Girl Dreaming and wondered why I haven't heard much about the other. They sound very similar but Woodso..."

Here is me admitting that I loved How I Discovered Poetry and actually may like it more than BGD. I can't tell though if that's just because I read it first. They are very similar, but HIDP is more compact and is YA rather than MG.

message 11: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal | 9 comments Sheila wrote: "Another one that reluctant boy readers might like is the new Coe Booth book, KINDA LIKE BROTHERS. The main character is not a good student and is being forced to go to summer school plus put up wit..."

I really love Kinda Like Brothers and hope that it gets a lot of press. There aren't nearly enough middle grades out there with black boys as the main characters. Coe Booth is a master at realistic fiction.