Joseph Beth Sci-Fi Book Group discussion

Annihilation
This topic is about Annihilation
2014 Book Discussions > Annihilation to be discussed on 12/15/14 from 7:00-8:00 pm

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stacey Jo (st1ac2ey3) | 214 comments Mod
thoughts?

message 2: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Rowe | 6 comments ANNIHILATION is now displayed on the book clubs shelf on the new books wall at Joseph-Beth and should ring at a 10% discount!

Daniel | 85 comments Thanks Chris.

message 4: by Stacey Jo (last edited Dec 11, 2014 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I found some discussion questions that go with this book at this website. Also at readinggroupguides.com

1. What were your initial theories about the psychologist’s motives and the whereabouts of the
anthropologist? How did the ways they approached the expedition compare to the approaches of the surveyor and the biologist?

2. Did you envision the core of Area X as a tower or a tunnel? In your mind, is it a living creature or a product of engineering?

3. How did you interpret the phrases that emerged in Area X? Did you read them as prophecies? Poetry? Delusions?

4. Was the biologist’s introverted, analytical temperament an asset or a hindrance on the expedition? How did the experiences of her youth—particularly her study of the neglected, dazzling swimming pool—prepare her for this fieldwork?

5. As the biologist recalled her husband and his role in the eleventh expedition as a medic, what did you discover about her vulnerabilities and about the strength of their relationship?

6. Are there any real-world figures today who take on a role like the Crawler’s—a producer of words who controls an audience? What is the source of the Crawler’s power?

7. What do you predict for book 2, Authority?

Daniel | 85 comments Oh my god what is up with the tower tunnel thing. Grrrrrr.

Yeah I'm not in the camp that is enjoying myself so far with this book.

I thought it was a tunnel but now it's a tower? I'm not on the edge of my seat. I'm at 52%

Daniel | 85 comments It's a battle between the narrator and the rest of the group. At lest in the narrators mind. I'm in the who cares camp for anyone that cares :)

Daniel | 85 comments It's a battle between the narrator and the rest of the group. At lest in the narrators mind. I'm in the who cares camp for anyone that cares :)