The Carpe Librum Book Club discussion

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
This topic is about Mockingjay
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins > Mockingjay Movie Discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riley (new)

Riley | 6 comments Mod
Tell us here things you wish to see in the movie! Also share your theories on where part 1 will end.

Patricio (patriciomvillagomez) | 1 comments It comes without a spoiler warning, you know there'll be spoiler in this discussion.

I have a theory on the split, which I believe it would occurred, considering it's in the middle of the book. They'll split it on the scene where Peeta comes back, and tries to kill Katniss, because the capitol watches his head, and make her see Katniss as the Enemy.

Kennia (kenniabelikov) | 6 comments Mod
Pato wrote: "It comes without a spoiler warning, you know there'll be spoiler in this discussion.

I have a theory on the split, which I believe it would occurred, considering it's in the middle of the book. T..."

Yes! That's what we were thinking! Can you imagine all the ppl who haven't read the book will react to that ending lol.

Sam H  Arnold (samharnold) Pato wrote: "It comes without a spoiler warning, you know there'll be spoiler in this discussion.

I have a theory on the split, which I believe it would occurred, considering it's in the middle of the book. T..."

I have to agree with you there is a clear split in the book which when I read it I thought was where the film would end.

message 5: by Niamh (new) - added it

Niamh | 2 comments spoilers obviously ;)

but I really think mockingjay part 1 will end with peeta strangling katniss when he comes back from the capitol. I just think it'll totally surprise those who haven't already read the book!

Kelsey (kelseyarens) I had originally thought that the movie would end when Peeta comes back, too. But after recently re-reading the book, I'm now thinking the movie will end shortly after Katniss and the team arrive in the Capitol, when Coin sends Peeta to join them and it becomes clear that Coin has sent him to ensure Katniss' death.

This way there would be a clear divide between the movies, with part 1 mostly taking place in 13 and other districts, while part 2 will focus on action in the Capitol. I also read an interview (by the director maybe? I can't remember) that said the two movies would have very distinct purposes and show different elements of war. And I think ending the movie soon after they arrive in the Capitol makes sense because all things prior to that focus on how people emotionally deal with war (how the districts are doing, how the remaining victors are dealing with their traumas, etc), and part 2 would focus more on the actual fighting and the resolution to the war.

Plus, not a lot happens before Peeta comes back, at least not a lot that will transition onto the screen well, so I think splitting it there would make part 1 somewhat lackluster and would leave a lot of ground to cover in part 2.

Thoughts??

message 7: by Arianna (new) - added it

Arianna (musicalbooks) | 2 comments I thing you are most likely right. Seeing as i read the book more than two years ago i don't remember most of it. I agree that if they end the movie with Peeta returning it would make the movie a bit un eventful and the second part too long. I also think it would be the funniest thing if they end at Peeta strangling Katniss just seeing the reactions of the people who had no read the book before seeing the movie. Unfortunately it would probably be a little to cruel for a movie ending.

Jenny (jennyzp) | 3 comments I also thought it would be when Peeta comes back but after rereading the book recently I think that another great place to end it would be when someone shoots her in district 8 but Peeta strangling her is also a great place to end it

I totally don't even remember Katniss getting shot. I really need to reread this asap. What part is that? Is it before the explosion that kills Prim?

message 10: by Jade (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jade (jadealanna) Kelsey wrote: "I had originally thought that the movie would end when Peeta comes back, too. But after recently re-reading the book, I'm now thinking the movie will end shortly after Katniss and the team arrive i..."

I just started part 3, just after Coin sends Peeta to join them and I had the same thought.

Parts 1 and 2, while the majority of the book, I feel can be covered in the Mockingjay Pt.1. Parts 1 and 2 of the book really showcase District 13, Katniss' conflicting feelings of the rebellion and distrust of Coin, the propos, and Peeta returning with hijacked memories. For the book I think the detail and attention to Katniss' thoughts and feelings of her new surroundings and the war really works. However, since we know movies are not narrated with Katniss' inner thoughts, some of the details and the mood will be shown rather than told to us. I think Mockingjay Pt.1 will focus on the highlights.

While that seems like a lot to happen in the first Mockingjay movie, I think they will want to send more time showing off the Captiol and the team's attempt to get to Snow, dodging the pods, Peeta's struggle to reconcile his true and false feelings for Katniss, and of course what happens when they get the square and the aftermath in the second movie.

All that being said, I can also see it ending after Katniss gets shot. That way Mockingjay Pt.2 starts with the wedding and her training to go to the Capitol. I think either could work.

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Where the first movie will end is one of the things I'm most excited and anxious about, because until I read this thread, I was also thinking that it would end when Peeta is rescued from the Capitol. But now I hope Kelsey is right and they end the movie with the push towards the final battle in the Capitol. I think this would be a similar choice to the Harry Potter films- Deathly Hallows Part 2 is mostly taken up with the battle at Hogwarts.

I also think it might strike a sour note to end Mockingjay Part 1 with a moment of violence towards Katniss (even though, I know, duh, this is Panem and The Hunger Games- violence is inevitable) because I think Katniss is such an important figure for girls and women it would be kind of heartbreaking to have a cliffhanger where people (especially Peeta) are doing her harm, so I hope the filmmakers steer away from that.

It's so suspenseful not knowing where they're going to end it! You'd think the people who hadn't read the book would be the most in suspense when it comes to watching the film, but I just want to know what I will have to wait a whole year to see!! (Also, I hope they end the film after the rescue of the tributes from the Capitol because I love Finnick and Annie and I really want to see them together!)

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I also forgot to say that I am SO EXCITED to watch Josh Hutcherson in this movie. The bits of him we've seen in the previews blow my mind, and I think he's going to be so incredible.

Juliette (julietteandbooks) Pato wrote: "It comes without a spoiler warning, you know there'll be spoiler in this discussion.

Yes I agree with you. And I've heard that Josh wasn't a lot on the set for Mockingjay part 1...

Jenny (jennyzp) | 3 comments how msny of you want to at least punch Gale for what he said in one of the previews about how he would die before he said what Peeta said....like eff you Gale! You don't know what Peeta is going through!

Just started reading Mockingjay and one thing I really want to see in the movie is when Gale helps the residents of District 12 escape when the Capitol sends the hoover craft to bomb them. I want to see how he got them out & how Prim & Katniss' mom helped the injured. Is this asking for too much? lol

Lindsey Gallups | 1 comments If you look at the titles of the music scores for Mockingjay Part 1, I think it sort of indicates where the movie will end! What do y'all think?

Kevin (Irish Reader) I did a review of this movie on my BookTube channel if you guys want to see my thoughts. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPhiLzS...