In the Afterlight (The Darkest Minds, #3) In the Afterlight discussion

The Book Discussion *Spoiler alert*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angelique (last edited Oct 30, 2014 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angelique Acevedo The third book for the Darkest minds Trilogy just came out yesterday and here is the place where you can let out the feels... thats what I'll be doing.
The darkest minds never fade in the afterlight. (FANGIRLING}
RUBYXLIAM

Angelique Acevedo HALFWAY THROUGH WITH THE BOOK NOW!

michelle Can we have spoilers? If we can't then well... *SPOILER ALERT*
There might be grammar errors and such, because of my rush to just discuss EVERYTHING!!
I finished it yesterday... I CRIED!!!!!!!! I WANT MORE!!!!!! I WANT MORE!!!!!!!!!!! I was like,"HOW IS SHE GOING TO END IT IN JUST 30 PAGES?!" Then it happened. "OH MY GOSH! CRYING"
The relationship between Ruby and Liam was so frustrating though. I'm 100&% sure I wasn't the only one. I love them together, but they just won't work things out! But, it ended well at the end so... HAPPILY EVER AFTER!!! (I actually drew a picture of them riding in their van to wherever. Everything feels... normal. They don't have to worry about being chased down, taken into a camp, or being killed when they go out. They don't need to worry about anything. IT'S GREAT!) When LIAM was there at Thurmond... I was like,"LIAM! YES! YES! YES!!!!!!" He's here~ He's here~ He's here for Ruby. RubyxLiam is probably like my #1 OTP, along with Wessa. But this ain't about them! I like to call it Riam. There isn't even like an official shipping name! We need one, ASAP! Like the trilogy just ended, WE DON'T HAVE ANY MORE TIME!!!!!
Clancy... They should have shot him from the VERY FIRST BOOK. Alexandra Bracken said that she hoped that our feelings about Clancy would be complicated... Nope. Still the same. Actually, IT'S WORSE! I love hating him though. You're twisted! He was controlling Ruby the whole time. I hate you so much. He even got Cole killed! I mean, I wasn't that attached to Cole since he was so annoying, but Liam could've died! (Obviously not or else we would probably hunt Alexandra Bracken down and do the unimaginable... Seriously though, you CAN'T KILL LIAM!!) Then Clancy gets his memory wiped and blah blah blah.
The Zu reunion. The Zu interview. Me fangirling. WE FOUND HER! WE FOUND HER! AND SHE TALKED! SHE TALKED! It was bound to happen. Zu, YOU'VE GROWN UP! YOU'VE GROWN UP!
I also liked how we had this full circle. We started at Thurmond with Ruby, and then we end at Thurmond with Ruby. She gets revenge on all of the cruel PSFs. I was so happy. Sam is still there. Ruby undoes the little knot that's suppressing Sam's memories. I wanted to see more interactions with Sam. We never hear from her after we break out and destroy Thurmond. I just wanted them to be BFFs like they were before.
Cole and Liam. I kind of just wanted them to kind of be in an "okay" relationship. They're brothers! I remember the memory where Cole was a kid and his dad was threatening his mom with LIAM in his arms. We now know how Liam got that scar. So sad though. I wanted to cry. HE WAS A BABY! A FREAKN' BABY and he was just dropped on the floor. I mean, I understand that he would have probably fell on the ground either way, but still! He just seemed so innocent and young to be in a situation like that, when he has like no idea on what's going on. He WAS young and WAS innocent. How do you expect a baby to know about those issues? Just so sad. WHY DID COLE HAVE TO DIE?!?!?!?!?! I didn't particularly like him, but he was the only sibling Liam had left! Their sister Claire died from IAAN and now Cole's dead? Liam went from having two siblings to none. Not a single sibling left. He was a middle child and then he became an only child. I wonder what would have happened if Claire was alive. Liam probably would've treated her like a princess. He's too sweet. Remember the pantry? He got all that food just for those two kids. HE'S SO SWEET! HE'S SO SWEET! AN OVERDOSE OF SWEETNESS! *singing Overdose* "Oh she wants me~" Sure do. Sure do. "Oh she's got me~" I wish I did... *sigh* "Oh she hurts me~" NO LIAM! NO! I WOULD NEVER HURT YOU! "Someone call the doctor-" No one is calling the doctor!
I just want to cry whenever Jude's name comes up. He was so sweet! He gave everyone a chance. He's different. And then he died in Never Fade. I was crossing my fingers. I was like,"THE RESURRECTION OF JUDE! PLEASE!" I know that's ridiculous, because this is set in our world with kids with powers. Not resurrections!
Chubs and Vida
Sitting in a Tree
K-I-S-S-I- *abrupt stop*
Well that escalated quickly... AWKWARD~
Chubs and Vida were eventually going to get together, but then... *shivers* I never thought... they would be that far into their relationship... I love their interactions. Their like complete opposites. OPPOSITES ATTRACT!!!
Remember "Chubby Chubby Choo Choo"? I love that name. Credits to "Boy Scout".
I have more thoughts, but I feel like that was enough. Or more than enough. I give 5 stars, even though the relationship was just going everywhere.

Angelique Acevedo you can write spoilers :)
let the feels out

Alia Am I the only one that wanted Cate and Cole to get together. Well that's not gonna happen now *cries into pillow* I know a lot of people didn't like him in ITA because they find him annoying and stuff but I really wished that he didn't die or at least died differently. He didn't even accept the fact that he was a Red. He didn't even fully reconcile with his brother. I really wanted to see Ruby and him accept their abilities as who they are. I wish he had died a hero. Maybe dying while freeing the Reds instead. Plus in the end Ruby didn't even talk to Liam about his death. Didn't even express her guilt about the part she didn't realise she played in his death.

Faith Limo OMG!!!!
It was amazing!!!
Link to my review here:
http://thebigfatfbooks.wordpress.com/...
THANKS

Just call me Pocahontas:) I wish the ending had more to it, I thought it was kinda sad knowing that some of them will be splitting up after the road trip. And I wish it talked more about Cole's death and about how Liam was feeling.

Alia Yeah I totally agree!

Angeline Joseph Just thinking about the book makes my heart heavy. I want more though. It was satisfying but I'm a greedy person and I want to know how is life for them now. I really miss the characters.

Just call me Pocahontas:) Angeline wrote: "Just thinking about the book makes my heart heavy. I want more though. It was satisfying but I'm a greedy person and I want to know how is life for them now. I really miss the characters."

Same here.

Angelique Acevedo Loved the part where Ruby walked out of Thurmond and walked in. ];

Ysalia Rodriguez Book was great but left me wondering about Sam.

Rachel  DiBacco Alia wrote: "Am I the only one that wanted Cate and Cole to get together. Well that's not gonna happen now *cries into pillow* I know a lot of people didn't like him in ITA because they find him annoying and st..."

Heck man! I wanted Cole and myself to get together! then he died on me:( lol. but I agree with you Cate and Cole would have been great. really wish he wouldn't have died. I really think that was the only mistake she made in these books was killing him off.

message 14: by Alia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alia Ikr! Cole is definitely one of my favourite book boyfriends. Don't get me wrong I love Liam but he belongs with Ruby and Cole is more of the bad boy ish type. Totally agree with you, that was her only mistake.

message 15: by Alia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alia Ikr! Cole is definitely one of my favourite book boyfriends. Don't get me wrong I love Liam but he belongs with Ruby and Cole is more of the bad boy ish type. Totally agree with you, that was her only mistake.

Rachel  DiBacco yes, glad we agree! cole is my favorite and in my mind he doesn't die:)

Klara Am I the only one who is really annoyed she didn't write anything about how zu's hair turned out? Because that bothers me quite a lot!

message 18: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Klara wrote: "Am I the only one who is really annoyed she didn't write anything about how zu's hair turned out? Because that bothers me quite a lot!"

I agree!!! I've been waiting for them to tell us but noooo! ugh it did bother me. A LOT

Sarah Anne OMG CHUBS AND VIDA
I'm shipping all day for them
They are super cute:)

AHHHHHHHH
Did anyone else not like Liam and Ruby?
I mean in the first book I really loved them together but then in the second I really hated them together I mean the relationship was to complicated and I understand that the author was trying to OVER FEEL everything but I dont know I just really didnt like them.

I totally shipped Cole and Ruby but thats just my messed up opinion...

message 20: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim wait can someone PLEASE explain the meaning of the moon (bookcover) cus i kiiinddaa dont get it??

Rachel  DiBacco in the book they used a crescent moon as a symbol to get a hold of that news one group in the 3rd book

Klara Kim wrote: "Klara wrote: "Am I the only one who is really annoyed she didn't write anything about how zu's hair turned out? Because that bothers me quite a lot!"

I agree!!! I've been waiting for them to tell ..."

Right! She could at least have given us a hint!

message 23: by Alia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alia Ikr! I was totally looking forward to liam and chubs being annoyed with Vida for doing it.

message 24: by Alia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alia Ikr! I was totally looking forward to liam and chubs being annoyed with Vida for doing it.

message 25: by Kin (last edited Feb 25, 2015 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kin I finished yesterday, and I cannot pick up a serious book right now.

Reading this book has been so amazingly painful. Everything that happened was slow at first, and then it went fast. Like a gun. Pull the trigger slowly, and then a spying bullet comes out.

Ruby and Liam's relationship was beautiful but so mistrusted. In the end they never gave up on each other, but I still feel like they were;t as strong as they used to be.

Clancy. Oh Clancy, Clancy, Clancy. How fuck things up really fast. He was such a dynamic person, I'm not going to call him character because these guys were real to me. Close to me. It was amazing how Clancy could make me love him, and then hate him in a matter of a few seconds. Ughh Clancy.

I really wish Ruby didn't change Clancy's memories and mind. Clancy had ben through a lot, she completely changed his character. That was not mercy. That was straight up someone else. Clancy was no longer Clancy. Really hoping Alexandra Bracken creates another book series where Clancy beings to see his past life, as in the REAL life. He could do all sorts of things like remove the deviance from his head.

Cole. Why Cole? I had a feeling he was going to die, but I didn't expect to be so torn over it. Every time the mentioned his name I wanted to stop. Cole grew on me, he was so understanding towards Ruby, and he was a RED! That part made him more relatable to the Psi. Cole's deaths as so unnecessary I feel. I didn't see the point AT ALL. I feel like the author just added it there to add to climax. Ruby mourned so much over Jude, but I felt like Cole was brushed aside so easily. I need Cole. I need more Cole. Cole is dead. I cannot get over it.

Cole. I still cannot get over him. I need help. Serious help. I can't believe it. I've never been this attached to someone. I have no closure. Cole died, and they knew this from pictures. I wish they had seen it themselves, it would've felt different. i hope theres another series because remember at the end Senator Cruz said she had some kind of idea or plan or something? I really hope that Cole isn't actually dead. But I know it's too good to be true :'( The way she described the mutilated corpse.

PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE MOURNING COLE, SOMEBODY

Carlos Davis Just finished the book first time doing this but here goes....

Liam: I lost interest in him after the first book found him to be extremely overprotective to the point of being annoying the note he left to himself about ruby proves he will never trust her

Cole: he acted as if he liked ruby more than just a friend but he never says anything it was so much left unsaid between him and liam wish they would have resolved it before his death

Chubs: liked his development as a character but I would've liked for him to accept his abilities and not treat them as if they didn't exist

Vida: the little we knew of her I liked but she could've had more character development and back story

Zu: glad she finally spoke I really liked the growth in her

Ruby: she should've pursed a relationship with Cole he understood her more wish would've accepted her abilities instead of treating it as a curse a little self absorbed at times to the point of not accepting the truth

Wish she would've had more cate and Sam a lot of things left unsaid but I enjoyed it for what it was but left a lot not talked about

Pamela Someone said before how the author wanted our feeling for Clancy to be complicated... well mine totally were!
At first when I foud out he was the slip kid and doing all he could to help kids I loved him! Then he started to help Ruby control her powers and even then I still liked him. But when he pulled that trick at the East River camp and pretty much got everyone captured I hated with all I had in me. I couldn't believe he would do such a thing and I hated him for what he had done to Ruby as well. However, even then some part of me pitied him for having gone through so much pain and suffering in his life. He grew up in a home where he thought neither his mother not father loved and where his father had pretty much given him to become an experiment. So despite the fact that I really wanted him dead, I secretly wanted him to be happy and to let all his feeling go and start anew.
After that we didn't hear about Clancy until Ruby and Vida came to him. I felt like sometimes Clancy really though that what he was doing was correct even though obviously to us it wasn't. He was trying to somehow push his point of view into others and wanted other to see the reason behind his thought. When he was taken to the League I began to hate him more and more for all the things he did. However, my feelings wavered when Ruby went into his mind and saw the things that had been done to him in lab and how his mother had treated him. At that point, to me he wasn't broken, he was ruined. When someone is broken they can be fixed by someone showing them love, but Clancy was beyond the point of repair that a little piece of my heart broke for him.
Once again, my feeling changed when we found out he had been controlling Ruby all along. But at this point I wasn't sure what to think. I hated him because he was the reason Cole had to die. I hated him for all the troubles he had brought upon other. Yet i understood why it was he did the things he did. I understood that all he wanted was for someone to understand him.
When I found out that Clancy had lost his abilities, although some part of me was happy because he wouldn't be able to control anyone anymore. However once again I hurt for him. I could just imagined the look on his face, one of a despair and pain. he was probably terrified. that;s why when Ruby gave him a second chance to live by erasing his memories, I was glad. If she would have killed him or done nothing I probably would have been mad, so I'm glad Clancy has a real chance to live. I just wish the author would have told us what became of him...
Anyways that's my rant about Clancy!
I love this books so much! the minute i got done reading them I wanted to start them all over again and again!

Grace Ahhhhh! Chubs and Vida! I didn't see it coming, but i feel like i should have. I just love Chubs he's like one of my fave characters :)

Chereen Ng Sarah Anne wrote: "OMG CHUBS AND VIDA
I'm shipping all day for them
They are super cute:)

AHHHHHHHH
Did anyone else not like Liam and Ruby?
I mean in the first book I really loved them together but then in the seco..."

ME TOO, I was hoping for Cole and Ruby to get together. Never happened, okay, but then Alexandra had to kill him off, I was so mad when I was reading that chapter. I was really annoyed with Liam's opinions and the whole garage thing.

message 30: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Rabago I absolutely loved this series, let me start with that. However, I can't seem to get over the fact that Alexandra killed of a character who suffered greatly all of his life, was nothing but afraid and angry, and JUST when his brother knows what he is, he is murdered at the hands of Clancy/HIS OWN KIND?!?! Yes, Clancy has suffered but is he in any way as decent of a character as Cole? No. I kept skipping through the last pages, thinking that Braken would somehow have Cole appear as one of the Reds pretending to guard the kids in the camp, that she would be getting hit by a PSF only to hear his barge into the room and burn them all, cooing at her in his southern accent "Gem, I got you. I'm gonna get you out of here." AND THEN find Liam and reunite with his brother. Or if not that, at least a death where he went out fighting, not searching for others like him, unable to resist and so unknowing of his impending doom. To be shot in the neck and bleeding out without having a chance to fight back, to have his body charred and people figure out about this through IMAGES!?!?! His death isn't even treated with respect. Alex, I do love the series, I'll say that again. Otherwise I wouldn't be so upset or emotionally invested. But, Cole Stewart, who cared for the kids, helped fight and train with ruby, who took so much responsibility and who always always loved his brother, died alone. And yes, Ruby and Liam were devastated - but no one else really cared. He was never understood or loved as he deserved to be, not like Jude. Jude was mourned and the loss was respected. Maybe the book and Cole was meant to be written this way, but I just find that his death wasn't necessary other than showing readers what they already know in the non-fictional world. Sometimes, people who don't deserve it are killed - and people like Clancy Gray get to live happily ever after bc Ruby took his bad memories away. The End.

message 31: by Kin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kin Alexandra wrote: "I absolutely loved this series, let me start with that. However, I can't seem to get over the fact that Alexandra killed of a character who suffered greatly all of his life, was nothing but afraid ..."

I agree 100%, Cole deserved to live, and honestly he deserved the same amount of respect Jude did. I honestly broke down, because Cole of all people didn't deserve this. his death was so unnecessary

Courtney Riggan I really wish Ruby didn't redo most of Clancy's memories. He's been through so much pain and suffering, and even though erasing those painful memories was supposed to be "merciful", I truly thought it was horrendous. Ruby just basically rewired the most influential years of his life from his mind and replaced them with sunshines and daisies. It seemed like that completely undermined his immense strength and willpower, the will to survive. I actually cried because I was imagining somewhere in his mind he knew what Ruby was doing to him and just felt the helplessness he would have had that he couldn't stop her. With the cure, he was returned to a helpless state of being with no control over his life and no real freedom. And it will probably become apparent that he is no longer an "issue" because he'll act differently since Ruby switched his memories, but he won't ever have a way to put his problems behind him; he just "forgot" them.
Even though I know this is completely unlikely, I wish Alexandra Bracken would write a book or two about Clancy regaining his memories because I believe just erasing them like that is not merciful; it's barbaric.

message 33: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Courtney wrote: "I really wish Ruby didn't redo most of Clancy's memories. He's been through so much pain and suffering, and even though erasing those painful memories was supposed to be "merciful", I truly though..."
damn.. i didn't even think of it that way but now i totally agree with you.

Becca Kim "wait can someone PLEASE explain the meaning of the moon (bookcover) cus i kiiinddaa dont get it??"

It's the broken compass that Jude was wearing in Never Fade

message 35: by Alli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alli I HATE LIAM SO MUCH. Sorry not sorry. Cole4ever3

Annalisa97 I just marathoned the entire series few weeks ago and I loved the first two books but I was a bit disappointed with the last one..
I thought that it started out really slow with all of them hiding out and not doing much until the end and this lack of action brought more drama instead.
And no one ever seems to learn their lesson with Clancy, he is always plotting something.
I was also really pissed off when all the build up with the army of reds fell flat and they never really did anything, a fight against the reds could have been epic.
And talking about reds... I was not happy when Cole just suddenly died.
I also thought that the end was a bit open even though the very last scene with all of the main characters driving in the car was great.
But don't get me wrong, I really liked this trilogy. I was just wondering if others had the same problems with the last book.

Ovidio Perez OMG Cole and Jude death really got to me and the pain will never leave me. I feel for them deeply and I still hate Clancy, but at the same time I liked how Ruby decided to change all of his memoirs into making he believe he was always hiding out with his Mom. Clancy can finally have a normal life even though he deserved death more than anyone. Still it isn't his fault Clancy is the way he is because he was experimented on and for that I pity him. I love how Vida and Chubs get together and how the story ended. With Ruby, Liam, Vida, and Zu in a car driving away all merrily and gay. It made my day for reals I am so happy they got the freedom they all deserved and I am going to miss them so much... :')

message 38: by Paulien (new) - added it

Paulien Krepel Ysalia wrote: "Book was great but left me wondering about Sam."

There is a novella about Sam. You have three novella's, one of Zu and two of Sam. They are all in the book "through the dark". Then there is "Liam's story", but that book wasn't published. You CAN find it on Alexandra's website.

Ovidio Perez Paulien wrote: "Ysalia wrote: "Book was great but left me wondering about Sam."

There is a novella about Sam. You have three novella's, one of Zu and two of Sam. They are all in the book "through the dark". Then ..."

OMG I had no idea thank you... :)

message 40: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Haines ok.ok.ok the ending was good but it made me cry knowing that it was over and i am so sad . :))))))

message 41: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Manolova Kim wrote: "wait can someone PLEASE explain the meaning of the moon (bookcover) cus i kiiinddaa dont get it??"

It means a safe place, Ruby saw it in on the garage, on page 84.

message 42: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Haines Ya its from the beginning section of the book and he draws a moon (safe place symbol) on the van they have.

message 43: by izzy (new)

izzy curtis Do Liam and Ruby end up together? I NEED to know.

message 44: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Haines Ummmmm.... well have u read the book?

message 45: by izzy (new)

izzy curtis Jayelin wrote: "Ummmmm.... well have u read the book?"

Yes, but I didn't understand if they did.

message 46: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Haines Izzy wrote: "Jayelin wrote: "Ummmmm.... well have u read the book?"

Yes, but I didn't understand if they did."

yes they did end up together :)

message 47: by izzy (new)

izzy curtis Jayelin wrote: "Izzy wrote: "Jayelin wrote: "Ummmmm.... well have u read the book?"

Yes, but I didn't understand if they did."

yes they did end up together :)"

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! wait was it that obvious? Because now I feel like an idiot.

message 48: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Haines ya it was lol

message 49: by izzy (new)

izzy curtis Lol

message 50: by DuffyPetunia (new)

DuffyPetunia First of all I LOVED the saga, but I've just ended the book and I feel like Liam and Ruby should've spoken about what happened to Cole. I was hoping for it since I knew what Clancy did. I WANT that conversation. Cole can't be forgotten like that.

Also, the end is a bit sad for me beacuse the group won't be together, everyone will live in a different place and Liam and Ruby won't have the freedom to be in love as they really want. That were just my feelings, I'm very happy for that end scene though.

I would absolutely LOVE another book to see how their lifes have changed, or maybe the hole saga rewritten by Liam's point pf view (pretty impossible ikr) or just a chapter with other characters point id view like Vida or Chubs to find more about their feelings and personalities.

« previous 1