All About Animals discussion

Discuss Other Stuff Here... > Know any Animals with Funny or Unusual Names?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stewart, Moderator (last edited Oct 29, 2014 06:07AM) (new)

Stewart McFarlane (mcfarlane) | 147 comments Mod
Do you have, or know any animals with amusing or unusual names?
If so, tell us about them, and if possible add a Photo in the Photo section, and remember to add the name there in the Description section.

To get us started. Our latest addition to our pack is a cute little light brown Dandie Dinmont Terrier. The family who had her initially live in North East Thailand, and fed her only on sticky rice, the popular form of rice up there. Her name is "Khao Nioaw Daeng" which means "Red Sticky Rice', Big name for a small dog (she weighs just under 5 kilo). She is a character. I have posted a picture of her playing in the long grass on a walk. See Photos.She has a better diet now, rice, mixed with fish,chicken,and dog biscuit, prepared by me: Master Canine Chief.

Two more....My Uncle loved cats, and years ago he named one of them, "Eddie Stobart"; that will mean nothing to non-Brits. Eddie Stobart was the founder of a hugely successful trucking company in UK, famous for its polite and well turned out drivers. When I find a picture of a cat in or near an Eddie Stobart truck, I shall post it. My Uncle was a Manchester City fan. He had a cat in the 1960's called "Colin" after Colin Bell, a famous Man City & England Footballer.

message 2: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 1256 comments Mod
My son named his pit-bull Chaos. Then Chaos met this lovely female dog and had a litter.

There was two puppies that my son was keeping and named then Mayhem, and Havoc.

Sadly, Chaos passed away last year. The two puppies he got other homes for when he moved. The people he gave them to were also pit-bull lovers.

Pit-bulls are such sweet dogs in my opinion.

message 3: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

I will try and post a photo when my phone line gets fixed. I hope it gets fixed today, and the right way. We'll see.

message 4: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) best name ever, a lovely ginger named Hunter S. Thomcat.

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Jazzy wrote: "best name ever, a lovely ginger named Hunter S. Thomcat."

Love that name!

message 6: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon)

message 7: by Jazzy (last edited Oct 29, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I nearly forgot his brother, Charles Purrkowski.

https://bukowskionwry.wordpress.com/t...

message 8: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Chairman Mousey-Tougue

message 9: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 22 comments I knew a French poodle who was named Chevalier Dawg Dawg de Dawg.

message 10: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) William S. Purroughs.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Hampton | 180 comments When I was growing up, a stray dog followed our neighbor's kids to my birthday party. He looked to be a mix of Pit Bull and Blue Heeler. My father insisted he couldn't stay because we already had enough dogs, but no matter how hard we tried to find a new owner for him, he just kept coming back to our house. One morning, our neighbor's bull got out and came running down our driveway. He wouldn't have hurt anyone, but the dog didn't know that. He leaped up, grabbed the bull by the nose and held him until my dad called him off. My dad was impressed that he would be so protective of us and he declared that he could stay. We named him Glue, because he was so determined to stick with us!

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim Hampton | 180 comments My dad has raised cattle his whole life, and he usually names the animals that we decide to keep. The best name he ever came up with was for one of our crankiest, meanest cows.....Sweet Thing!

message 13: by Stewart, Moderator (new)

These names are brilliant, and I love the pictures.

Keep em coming.

Glue sounds like some of my "self rescue dogs".

I can even top Havoc & Mayhem, with Mephistopheles (Meph) for short.As you all know, Mephistopheles is a demon in German Folklore, and appears in the Faust stories and was used by Goethe in Dr Faustus, and by Shakespeare in "The Merry Wives of Windsor".
Meph the dog wasn't demonic at all, he was a lovely bearded collie type and a charmer.

message 14: by Stewart, Moderator (new)

Shomeret wrote: "I knew a French poodle who was named Chevalier Dawg Dawg de Dawg."

Shomeret wrote: "I knew a French poodle who was named Chevalier Dawg Dawg de Dawg."

Quite a mouthful, if you had to call him back with that name, he would be in the next county before you finished. Was his nickname just "Chevy".

message 15: by Stewart, Moderator (new)

I am eagerly awaiting some pictures and details of Jolene's ferrets. I know they have interesting names. Ferrets are lovely little creatures. Very charming, unless you happen to be rat or a rabbit. In the old days in the mining areas of Northern England, many miners kept ferrets, cos they could provide their own food, and provide rabbit for the miners in hard times.

message 16: by Sheri (last edited Oct 29, 2014 05:15PM) (new)

Sheri S. | 18 comments We rescued a very troubled Aussie and named him Mulligan. I tried to download his picture as he is now. He is getting his second chance at having a good life.
Seven Days to Goodbye by Sheri S Levy

message 17: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 22 comments Stewart wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "I knew a French poodle who was named Chevalier Dawg Dawg de Dawg."

Quite a mouthful, if you ha..."

No, the nickname was Dawg Dawg. I would call him Monsieur Dawg Dawg and speak to him in French.

message 18: by Stewart, Moderator (last edited Oct 29, 2014 10:27PM) (new)

Sheri wrote: "We rescued a very troubled Aussie and named him Mulligan. I tried to download his picture as he is now. He is getting his second chance at having a good life.
Seven Days to Goodbye by Sheri S Levy"

That's great, well done on giving Mulligan a chance. Hope he is doing well. I found your book, its a new one. I'll check it out asap:
Book: Seven Days to Goodbye|23242326]

The picture of Mulligan in Photo section is wonderful. A fine looking Aussie Collie.

I came across a heart-breaking set of photos by a pro Photographer, of pound dogs, just before they were to be euthanised. I shall try to find them again. Shocking thing is, that some of the dogs were healthy and lovely looking dogs. Just not wanted.The thin mangy looking ones just needed TLC and would have been fine.

message 19: by Stewart, Moderator (new)

Shomeret wrote: "Stewart wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "I knew a French poodle who was named Chevalier Dawg Dawg de Dawg."

Great name for a French Poodle. Is he a standard or miniature or toy?

I have trained my dogs in Thai & English. The Thai is essential as most of my wife's family don't speak English, and they see a lot of the dogs.

message 20: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 30, 2014 01:56AM) (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) | 207 comments The rabbit I currently have, a Mini Rex, is called Kojikaki. She got called this because I wanted to name her brother Chibi. Right from the start, as we were driving home from the animal shelter with the two bunnies, I knew Chibi was the perfect name for him. There were actually several reasons why I thought it was a good name for him. First off chibi means small in Japanese which is fitting for a Mini Rex. Besides this Chibi is also the name of two of my favorite hero characters. He proved the name worked well when, at home, he displayed many of the characteristics of these characters. However, I still had no ideas for his sister's name. It actually took me over a week to name her as I couldn't come up with a name that worked for her and sounded good alongside her brother's. It wasn't until I was really observing her that I figured out how to go about naming her. I kept looking for unique features about her or something to give me direction. The only thing I kept ending up coming back to was her brown spots and markings. So I began thinking of the Warriors series by Erin Hunter and how the cats get named. Brown on it's own didn't sound right but paired with something else, such as paw or ear, made her sound like a warrior cat. Although she was a rabbit I liked the way it made her sound brave. At the time she displayed a more timid personality but wasn't unfriendly so I guess I was hoping she would become like the warrior cats and in time earn her name. When the names Brownear and Brownpaw failed to connect with me as her name I began thinking of other words and the word fawn kept coming into my mind but Fawn and Chibi didn't sound right though Fawn described her in more ways than Brown did so I decided to check out the word fawn in Japanese which turned out to be Kojika. Kojika however was not a warrior name. To continue the naming process I had begun the name needed to be two parts. While looking for a word that went well with Kojika and described the young bunny at the same time I finally hit on the answer when I went looking up the word for heart which was ki. Ki also happened to mean spirit so that would describe her well later in life...of course I didn't know that yet. Finally Kojikaki had been named. For the first year I would tell people that her name in English was Fawnheart but now, most of the time in my mind she is Fawnspirit as she tends to be a bit wild.

https://www.goodreads.com/photo/group...

My first dog, a Toy Poodle, was called CeJaye. While CeJaye isn't really an unusual name the story behind the name is. CeJaye was bought by my grandma as a present for me and my sister, Catherine. Though not spelled this way, which confused me for a long time, my grandma named him CeJaye and told us the C stood for Catherine and the J stood for Jennifer. For several years I always spelled his name as C.J. until I learned that wasn't how the name was really spelled.

My second rabbit and first rescue pet, a Dutch mix by the name of Oreo, would have had a more unusual name had my sister allowed me to give it to her. The shelter named her Oreo but I really wanted to call her Skunk. I just really liked it for some reason though now I think it's probably better that she didn't get named that.

The most unusual name a pet of mine has ever had was Peekablue. She was a self named parakeet. My grandma always had blue parakeets and every one of them had blue in the name. She was having a hard time coming up with a good one so she told the bird to chirp when she heard one she liked. My mom said Peekablue as a joke but for the first time that night the bird chirped and earned herself the name of Peekablue which in a way actually fit her well as she was just as unusual as her name. She never learned to talk and loved to squawk really loudly. She rarely chirped nicely like other birds. She also had no coordination. She fell off her perch a lot but always acted like it was nothing. She also hated baths and would only dip her wings into her water dish occasionally to clean them even though she had an actual bird bath attached to her cage. Peekablue also liked to bite. I don't know if she ever really meant to bite hard or if she just wasn't aware of how much pressure she was using because she didn't act aggressive. Surprisingly, for her bad coordination on a perch, she was a good flyer.

message 21: by Stewart, Moderator (last edited Oct 30, 2014 02:16AM) (new)

All these are great names. I love the photos, especially the one with Chiba an Taco, where the Chiba, the rabbit is clearly bigger than Taco, the dog.

Oreo are a kind of biscuit or cookie (at least in Thailand), so other possible names for rabbits or dogs, would be Biscuit & Cookie.

Parakeets & Cockatiels are lovely birds, but they can be quite delicate and need special care. Have to keep them away from lead based paints and mercury. Nasty stuff. We have wild Mynah Birds in Thailand, and even the wild ones can learn to talk, if you feed them regularly.

message 22: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 22 comments Stewart wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "Stewart wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "I knew a French poodle who was named Chevalier Dawg Dawg de Dawg."

Great name for a French Poodle. Is he a standard or miniature or toy?

I have ..."

Monsier Dawg Dawg was a standard poodle and very dignified.

message 23: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I don't think my pets had unusual names but this makes me think of every one I had
Coy- ? dog
Holly - golden retriever dog
Jack Rabbit -rabbit
Precious- beagle dog
Brown dog -brown mutt dog
Madonna-hamster
Mindy-guinea pig
Monster-rabbit
sheena-great dane dog
Shyla-great dane dog
Lila-mixed mutt dog
Lola-mixed mutt dog
Sella-Rabbit (my daughter couldn't pronounce stella so she became sella)
Daisy-Rabbit

message 24: by Sheri (last edited Oct 30, 2014 07:05AM) (new)

Sheri S. | 18 comments Names are fun! It took me weeks to name our last puppy! Everyone I spoke to asked me, "What is his name today?" I ended up naming him, Slater. He is a blue merle Australian Shepherd with lots of gray and black and white. He looks like a piece of marble or granite. I could have called him Grant!!
Sheri S Levy
Seven Days to Goodbye

message 25: by Stewart, Moderator (new)

Blue merle collies,shelties etc are great looking dogs. Sometimes tend to get eye problems. Seem to be rare these days. Btw Sheri I got your book on kindle. Writing & Publishing these days is an uphill slog, I keep saying I'll stop,then I'll write another. You have done well with Mulligan. If he can play alone & focus, then he has an outlet. Fear biting is the most common form of biting in dogs. If someone feeds & walks my Luem for a week, then he will start to trust them. So far only me, my wife & her cousin have done that. Still, he is happy with the pack, & loves his twice daily walks. I like to avoid people too on walks, so we go to quiet remote places. Easy to find in rural Thailand. I even had to cure him of car sickness to facilitate that. But i suspect the car sickness was due to the strong meds he had to cure the parvo. He is now first in the car, in his own special place...and loves his trips out.

message 26: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

I posted some photos of Chaos, Tucker, and Rufus, in the photo section.

I'm trying to find a photo of Havoc and Mayhem.

message 27: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

How about this for an unusual name?

I had a cat I named "Kitty" one time. LOL. Yep. I named her after Kitty on Gun Smoke, but I don't think anyone knew that but me unless I told them.

Just thought it would be funny to tell since it's in no way an unusual name.

message 28: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

We had a dog one time when my first son was little and couldn't pronounce words real well. And, cause the dog barked he kept saying...Woo...Woo, for Wolf...Wolf...like the dog barking.

So we named that dog..Woo...Woo.

message 29: by Sheri (new)

Sheri S. | 18 comments Wow! You've gone thru alot, also. Sounds like you are making wonderful progress. I've written the first draft of my memoir and am using my special ed experience and relating it to a special needs dog. Don't know if I'll do any more with it??
Thanks for purchasing my book. I've had reviews on Amazon and Goodreads but nothing on Kindle or Nook! I'm busy looking for marketing areas right now. Have many school visits planned and am involved with a service dog org. and donating 10% of my net to their organization. I love writing and all this other stuff is taking my time away from writing!! Thanks for staying in touch. It's really cool to know I'm talking with you in Thailand! I will check out your books. You've done many!! I'm working on the sequel!!
Sheri

message 30: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Sheri wrote: "Names are fun! It took me weeks to name our last puppy! Everyone I spoke to asked me, "What is his name today?" I ended up naming him, Slater. He is a blue merle Australian Shepherd with lots of gr..."

Sheri, It takes me awhile to come up with a name that fits too. It took awhile for us to name our dog we have now, which is Rufus. His name when we got him at 3 months old was Sire. We didn't think he looked like a Sire. But, to us he looks like a Rufus.

Our other dog is named Tucker. His name when we got him was Henry. We didn't like that name for him either. But, there was another dog named Tucker at the animal shelter and we thought that fit and that's how we got that name.

message 31: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Stewart wrote: " I even had to cure him of car sickness to facilitate that. But i suspect the car sickness was due to the strong meds he had to cure the parvo. He is now first in the car, in his own special place...and loves his trips out. u..."

Stewart, Our dog Rufus got extremely sick on car rides also. But he wasn't on any medication.

I just kept taking him on real short trips till I got him used to taking car rides. Eventually we got further and further on them. Now he doesn't get sick with car rides and wants to go.

message 32: by Tina (new)

Tina Dionne | 7 comments This story is from Ed (aka-Tina). I debated long and hard whether I should submit this name or not. Over the years I have encountered many outstanding names for people's pets, but this one was not only bizarre, and unusual to say the least but disgusting. You don't really have to read any further.

For the brave few that might, let me tell you the story of Skin Head. Actually, Skin Head was his second, compromise name.

I was running appointments one busy afternoon when I had a new account. Each new account has a form to fill out which includes information about their pet- name, breed, age etc. as well as the owners info.

This particular couple were in their twenties, unmarried I think and new to the area. Frank was not too bright as judged by the numerous spelling areas on his form. He also sported the usual motorcyclist gear with gang tattoos running up his neck and "love" tattooed on the fingers of his left hand and "hate" on his right hand. Sindy, this is not a typo, was a little more colorfully dressed with a wide array of jewelry and numerous body piercings that were visible to the naked eye. She also had tattoos, the most interesting of which was on her arm that said Sindy + Jimmy. The Jimmy was not quite inked out and replaced with Frank.

There dog was a leash-less, 8mos. old, male, mixed, black and tan German Shepherd type who was free to roam the room and pee on every corner he could find. I procured a rope leash from my desk and lassoed their dog so that we could clean up the flood. Once that was accomplished I notice that the dog's name was not filled in. We needed this necessary information for his record.
"So Frank what is your dog's name?"
Frank looked at Sindy and they both shrugged.
"Doesn't he have a name yet?"
"Oh yah, he's got a name, but I rather not tell you."
"Well, I really do need his name so I can talk to you about him. Plus, don't worry I think that I have heard most names already (so I thought)."
"I don't know is i should. You might not like it."
Sindy piped up and said, "Frank, will you just tell the doc the dog's %*!&! name already!"
"Okay, okay......his name is (pause) - S--t Head!
I'm not often speechless in the office but today I was. After recovering I said, "Frank, this is not right or decent. I can't put that name on his record or call him that."
"Doc, it's too late, S--t Head already knows his name and he even comes when I call him most of the time."
Sindy was covering her face trying to suppress her laughter. I was not smiling.
I thought for a moment and said, "Dogs will respond to sound and anything that is remotely similar to his present name I'm sure he will come to."

We all thought for a moment, at least I did- Frank was having trouble in the thinking department. But Sindy saved the day with the compromise name of Skin Head.

As expected, Frank and Sindy were not clients for very long do to the fact that two months later Skin Head ran away and Frank and Cindy were busted for selling some illegal "medicinals".

message 33: by Sheri (new)

Sheri S. | 18 comments That is quite a story!! Wonder what happened to the dog? I'll make up a happy ending!!

message 34: by Jazzy (last edited Oct 30, 2014 01:21PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) i forgot about my cockatiel. I named him Economic Recovery - Eco (Echo) for short. He could whistle 'Jesus loves me' and said a few things like, Hello Echo! and if we said Call the dog, he whistled for the dog. I used to remark he was a lovely grey cockatiel and would make a good meal -with potatoes.

message 35: by Jazzy (last edited Oct 30, 2014 01:44PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Tina wrote:..."
Regarding the dog I'm sure he got his name from the film The Jerk (1979) starring Steve Martin! One of my favourites and absolutely hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKv7a...

Navin Johnson, with his faithful dog leading the way.

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Zapata My mother read this story a long time ago in Reader's digest, I think, and it has stayed with us ever since.

It seems an anthropologist was interviewing an old prospector at his desert shack and was offered dinner. The place was kind of dirty, and so was the old prospector so she hesitated, not knowing how to gracefully decline the invitation without hurting the prospector's feelings.

The old man read her face and told her "Don't worry, the plates are as clean as soap and two waters can get them."

So she accepted the meal and enjoyed every bite. After they had finished eating, the prospector collected the plates and called out "Here, Soap!! Here, Two Waters!!"

His two dogs came running and licked the plates as clean as they could get them.

message 37: by Stewart, Moderator (new)

Tina wrote: "This story is from Ed (aka-Tina). I debated long and hard whether I should submit this name or not. Over the years I have encountered many outstanding names for people's pets, but this one was no..."

Sheri wrote: "That is quite a story!! Wonder what happened to the dog? I'll make up a happy ending!!"

I think you should have gone with "Shithead" , if it fits the dog.... I hope he is OK now. An episode of RED DWARF revolved around the crew trying to teach their politely programmed Android to say it.
Your story is funny.

message 38: by Stewart, Moderator (last edited Oct 30, 2014 04:01PM) (new)

Debbie wrote: "My mother read this story a long time ago in Reader's digest, I think, and it has stayed with us ever since.

It seems an anthropologist was interviewing an old prospector at his desert shack and w..."

haha Brilliant. I am sending that one to my Mum.

message 39: by Stewart, Moderator (last edited Oct 30, 2014 04:17PM) (new)

Debbie's joke has reminded me...

An young Indian boy was with his father sitting by the fire. The boy asks, 'Father, why do I our people have the names of animals?" The Father answered, " We Indian people respect nature and the creatures around us, so we take their names. When your brother was born, as soon as I left our camp, I saw a bear standing among the trees, so I called your Brother, "Standing Bear", and when your sister was born, as I left the camp, I saw a deer leap over a stream, so I called her "Leaping Deer"
.....The boy says, "But Father....."
His father interrupts,
"Why do you ask so many questions Two Dogs F***ing"

message 40: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Zapata HA!! Poor kid!!

message 41: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Debbie wrote: "The old man read her face and told her "Don't worry, the plates are as clean as soap and two waters can get them."

So she accepted the meal and enjoyed every bite. After they had finished eating, the prospector collected the plates and called out "Here, Soap!! Here, Two Waters!!"

His two dogs came running and licked the plates as clean as they could get them. ..."

Oh, that is too funny...LOL. Love it!

message 42: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Jazzy wrote: "Tina wrote:..."
Regarding the dog I'm sure he got his name from the film The Jerk (1979) starring Steve Martin! One of my favourites and absolutely hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKv7..."

Steve Martin is great.