Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing Advice & Discussion > Need advice from someone who goes to the gym

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena | 172 comments Mod
I'm writing a novel and need some advice from someone who works out at a gym and knows the lingo. I haven't been to a gym in about 20 years and could barely tell the difference between a treadmill and a bench press, so I'm sure I have it all wrong!

If a guy is working out and say he gets a trainer, how would the trainer ask about his current strength? I'm guessing he wouldn't say "how much can you lift?" which is what I would say :)

Would he say something along the lines of "what do you press right now?" or "how much is your bench press?" Etc...Is there some newer lingo a guy would use?

message 2: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Gautier | 4 comments I think you might need to go hang out a gym! I don't know where to begin. For one thing there's crossfit which is like it's own cult -- with apps. A trainer is also likely to talk about "core" strength a lot. There's just so much to it now. Yes, it's money but maybe you should go to a gym and get a trainer for a couple of sessions?

message 3: by Zach (new)

Zach Tyo (ztyo) | 55 comments I go to the gym and have known a few trainers. As far as "lingo" goes it honestly is like slang. Some trainers are informal and will just say "how much do you bench", for example, when ascertaining a client's abilities. On the other hand, many are incredibly professional with their clients and will speak in laymen's terms.

As V.M. stated, your best bet would be to go to a local gym and pick a trainer's brain. I'm sure if you get in touch and explain what you're wanting he/she could pencil you in for a free session and give you a good idea of their process.

For example, most wont ask a client their "best press" because most trainers don't ever have their clients lift their maximum weight and trade max weight for repetitions to build strength. But each exercise changes based on what the client's goals are.

I hope that helps a bit.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena | 172 comments Mod
Thanks, guys! That does help. I may call a local gym and see if I can at least talk to a trainer.

message 5: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Maestas | 13 comments Just thought I'd contribute: "How much do you bench?" is the most common question someone would ask to gauge someone's strength. A skilled trainer might ask, "What's your deadlift?" as this is a more accurate measure of total body strength but most trainers aren't smart enough to know that.

"Bro, do you even lift?" is more of a way of shaming someone, basically meaning it doesn't appear as if the recipient of the question works out.

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena | 172 comments Mod
Thanks!

message 7: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Paul (dapaul) "I bench 350" = I can bench 350 pounds
"I squat 350" = I can squat 350 pounds
"What are your macros like?" = what's your diet like?
"what do you bench?" = how much can you lift? (arms)
"what do you squat?" = how much can you lift? (legs)
"you need to have good form. keep your back straight." ( people are laughing at you. #gymfail )
"she squats" = she has a very nice butt
"he lifts" = he has a hot bod
"bro" = dude
"The pump" = looking swoll
"swoll"= the blood rushing to your muscles after lifting.
"Ima hit the weights and then do some cardio." = I will be lifting weights for an hour, and then I will fast walk on the treadmill for ten minutes.
"Sups" = supplements (protein, amino acids, pre-workout)
"what are you working today?" = what body part are you working out today?
*Guy hobbles into the gym "leg day yesterday" = I am in so much pain that I can barely sit inn a chair without crying.

There are also lots of unspoken rules, but the most important thing to remember is that you must eat at least 150 grams of protein a day.

Currently dating a personal trainer. :-)

message 8: by Kelley (new)

Kelley | 45 comments If you don't have time for the gym, you could always check out a website like bodybuilding.com. It has tons of articles written by trainers (even just the headlines give you an idea for the lingo). They also sells the supplements and products that trainers use on a daily basis.