Melbourne Library Service discussion

The Lord of the Rings
This topic is about The Lord of the Rings
Re-Reading - Is it just me?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Melbourne Library Service | 139 comments I have recently picked up my favourite book of all time - Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - and I realised that it is approximately the 35th time I have read this book. And once again, I thoroughly enjoyed it! What is it about this book, and others I have read, that makes me want to read it over and over again? I still stay up until 1am unable to put it down, even though I nearly know it off by heart! But I always seem to find something new, or re-discover something within the story which makes me look at things afresh. Each time I read it I find myself focussing on different chapters, or different characters but this time was different. Perhaps it was because instead of my usual, enormous, all in one copy, I instead read this wonderful book in the 7 volume set. Strangely, reading this book split up like this forced me to think of it even more as a whole. An interesting facet of reading across different formats.
I know so many people who look at me askance when I say I re-read books. Does anyone else re-read? If so, what is your favourite book to re-read and is that your favourite book of all time or is it a 'comfort' book, or a 'filler' book?
Justine
Reader Development Librarian

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I don't have any problem in returning to a novel that I have previously enjoyed. Particularly as a teenager I was a bit notorious for it, but less so these days. Perhaps the two books I've read the most times are Jane Eyre and To Kill a Mockingbird (thank you high school curriculum for the introductions!). As an adult I suppose there are quite a few books I've read twice, but not usually more than that. There are too many wonderful books to discover.

message 3: by Dianna (new)

Dianna | 2 comments I do re-read books but in saying that I have such a terrible memory that I only remember vague details of the book. I tend to retain the reading experience - such as whether I was gripped reading til the wee hours, or had to get out a box of tissues for some moving scenes. Based on this I will pick up a book years later and revisit it. I won't recall any detail but I know that reading it is significant somehow. I think the book I have re-read the most is Wuthering Heights. I am struck by its gothic tones every time.

Dianna
Library staff :)

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Mckay | 1 comments I generally don't re-read because I have too much waiting to be read. But there are so many books I keep thinking I will read them again

message 5: by Roo (new)

Roo | 1 comments I don't re read that much at all because I have this massive list of books I want to read, but also because I don't find the book as interesting as I did the first time I read it. But I have re read the hunger games 1000000 times!!