Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Howards End
This topic is about Howards End
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Forster, E.M. - Howards End - Informal Buddy Read; Start: November 20, 2014

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 28, 2014 03:53PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Howards End by E.M. Forster

Book Synopsis:
The self-interested disregard of a dying woman's bequest, an impulsive girl's attempt to help an impoverished clerk, and the marriage between an idealist and a materialist — all intersect at a Hertfordshire estate called Howards End. The fate of this beloved country home symbolizes the future of England itself in E. M. Forster's exploration of social, economic, and philosophical trends, as exemplified by three families: the Schlegels, symbolizing the idealistic and intellectual aspect of the upper classes; the Wilcoxes, representing upper-class pragmatism and materialism; and the Basts, embodying the aspirations of the lower classes. Written in 1910, Howards End won international acclaim for its insightful portrait of English life during the post-Victorian era.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments okay...this will be fun :) Howard's End here we come!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Loved this movie. I have no idea how similar it is to the book but I would love to read this someday. Will see if I can squeeze it in for the BR!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments Once a freakengain I want to read this one too, but hopefully someone will join me later on - like the end of January.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments @Sarah - Me! I also want to read this but November is just not possible! End of January is perfect for me.. so if you are interested, I am game.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) If I don't manage this one for November, I may join you two for January.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments OK girls - let's do that. Now I won't stress about squeezing this one in too.

message 10: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments sounds like you all will be doing this one in January? I think I might put it off as well till the end of month. So, that means that there will be four of us so far for the end of January. Sounds good. :) I'll check back at that time.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm up for end of January too. I have too many books to read by the end of this month.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Howards End (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

E.M. Forster (other topics)