Struggling Writers discussion

Beat The Challenge: NaNo 2014 > Advice for the new and for the seasoned

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Hello again! Since NaNo is almost upon us I would like to ask for some tips. If this is your first time with NaNo and you have questions, ask away and if you're not new to this please give your top three tips to a successful NaNo.

I have done this a couple years in a row now and my top three tips are below, what do you think?

~Write something everyday, even if it means skipping ahead in your plot line (no one said you had to write chronologically).

~Don't do a single drop of editing, I don't care how bad the section is, it will be there at the end of November.

~Be brave, believe in yourself and your chosen method of writing.

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samantha_kicks) | 1 comments thanks for the advice and the injection of positivity :) this is my first nano and loving the challenge!

message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Samantha wrote: "thanks for the advice and the injection of positivity :) this is my first nano and loving the challenge!"

Glad to hear you are enjoying things!

message 4: by Carl (new)

Carl Hello fellow NaNo challengers!

I'm struggling to come up with consistent sounding names for character and locations(Fantasy setting).

Does anybody have any suggestions/tips for generating names?

I've tried a few name generators, but I'm getting results are are too crazy! Thanks

message 5: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (last edited Nov 10, 2014 04:39PM) (new)

Ingrid | 932 comments Mod
Hi Carl!

I have a faint understanding of what you're trying to say. Do you mean that you want characters whose names are consistent with the cultural setting that your story's in?(Say for example, it's in tribal Africa and you want tribe names).What exactly do you mean by consistent?. If that's not the case, I'd like clarification. If so, I think it all depends on the mood of the story, what genre it is, and what kind of world it is. These three combinations facet a plethora of outcomes for character structure.
Some questions that might spark name ideas are: What year is it? What is the character like? What are the cultural practices of the community/setting of your story? You can find good names based on the country that it's in. If your setting is city-wise, you can think of names based on monumental structures, streets, etc. (I named one of my MCs based on the name of a restaurant). Of course, some people are not comfortable with name-generators or babynames.com, and some are. If you are at a real pickle, you should just make random names for now (I hope you are only having trouble with 1 or 2 names) and thank reshape them later.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Carl wrote: "Hello fellow NaNo challengers!

I'm struggling to come up with consistent sounding names for character and locations(Fantasy setting).

Does anybody have any suggestions/tips for generating names? ..."

I have a race in my piece that the ending of their name is based on their occupation (complicated to explain how this works but I think it may give you ideas). The center piece is their astrological sign (which I have made up but they are essentially what we have tweaked and added to) and the pre-fix is a combination of their caste ranking and gender. Obviously I had to determine words for these things to begin with so I chose to stick with one language (in this case a long dead dialect from Australia) and use direct translations for things like gender and picked as definitive adjective for the caste level (say whatever the direct translation of royal is for the highest).

Not sure if that makes sense, but it may help you.